Bruce Pearl's future and this team

All he had to do if tell the truth and he would have gotten only a slap on the wrist. Did he really think the NCAA didn't already know where the picture was taken? When you combine the utter stupidity of lying about not knowing where the picture was taken and trying to get the recruits and their families to lie, he has zero integrity left. We would have been fired from our jobs if we had done what he did. Why do we make exudes for what he did?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What basically amazes me about this isn't the lying, but the stupidity and/or arrogance that he lied about it.

I'm not sure how much the play is actually affected by this, but if UT does have to fire Pearl after this season, does anyone think it would be better to announce it sooner rather than later? If the uncertainty of Pearl's job is affecting the team's performance, I would think the best option would be him announcing that he'll resign after this season or something to that effect. We may have some ugly games after that, but I think that in the long run it may be much better than 15 more games of unfocused basketball and a first round tournament exit.

I know people will probably think that if the players find out Pearl is gone, everything will get much worse, but I always feel like knowing what will happen, even if it's not what I prefer, always allows me to focus better than being unsure of what to expect.

here is the issue, imo.

yes, his contract was "torn up". He is working under a "letter of understanding" or something like that while the contract is being re-written.

My guess is they can't do anything until the NCAA rules.

the contract and I'm guessing the letter both cover Pearl from being fired unless the NCAA finds broken rules. Until that comes about, UT would be subject to a buyout once they fire Pearl if my reasoning is accurate.

Pearl is not going to quit / resign if there is a chance UT has to pay him additonal monies.

Now, they (Pearl, Hamilton, players, etc) can speculate as to what might happen but until NCAA letter arrives, appeal is made and final ruling made, there is likely nothing happening to CBP, Hammy or anyone else.

They could all have strong feelings (not made public) that in the end there is enough there to fire Bruce and staff. but until everything happens officially, lawyers are not going to let anything happen to anyone's job. I suppose someone could one thier own reign but I don't see any of that happening without a ruling or letter at a minimum. (February on letter getting here is what I'm hearing).

this is not a cut and dry scenario. certain things have to transpire before the next action can happen. No matter what the impact on this season is.

at end of day, I think Bruce is gone. But not likely to happen until after BB season.

JMO

Why not make the decision once they send us the letter? Waiting until we receive the punishments seems like the height of stupidity.

Why does everyone keep saying "if" they fire Pearl? He just signed his new contract and the NCAA doesn't have authority to fire Pearl. Besides, even if we do get the hammer thrown at us, Pearl can get us back out and there aren't many other coaches out there who could revitalize this program yet again. Pearl is UT Basketball now and in the future, like it or not.

So the guy that got the hammer thrown at us should be the one to try and get us out?

And no...Pearl is NOT UT basketball.

Why not make the decision once they send us the letter? Waiting until we receive the punishments seems like the height of stupidity.

depends on what is in the CBP contract / agreement a to when they could do it.

The NCAA findings in letter can be appealed so what happens if on appeal charges are changed?

I'm doing speculating on this process so some or all I gues :) could be wrong...

My guess is they can't do anything until the NCAA rules.

the contract and I'm guessing the letter both cover Pearl from being fired unless the NCAA finds broken rules. Until that comes about, UT would be subject to a buyout once they fire Pearl if my reasoning is accurate.

That doesn't sound right to me. They sent him a nasty letter about gross ethical misconduct, in which they informed him that his contract was terminated.

IMO that was that, as far as the legalities of firing him go. They unilaterally terminated his contract for the cause of gross ethical misconduct, and there is not much he can do about that.

Now, I don't know much about memos of understanding, but they're fools if they didn't leave themselves a way out of that also.

He's lucky basketball is a game best played in March. If this were football, our season would be in the tank already and he'd be cooked. In basketball, there's always a chance to improve and make a late run.

He better hope they do, cause this team is making it easier and easier to fire him.

That doesn't sound right to me. They sent him a nasty letter about gross ethical misconduct, in which they informed him that his contract was terminated.

IMO that was that, as far as the legalities of firing him go. They unilaterally terminated his contract for the cause of gross ethical misconduct, and there is not much he can do about that.

Now, I don't know much about memos of understanding, but they're fools if they didn't leave themselves a way out of that also.

He's lucky basketball is a game best played in March. If this were football, our season would be in the tank already and he'd be cooked. In basketball, there's always a chance to improve and make a late run.

He better hope they do, cause this team is making it easier and easier to fire him.

If there is not an easy way out of this before a new contract is in place with zero cost to the university Hamilton, Simek, and every person in UT's legal department had better be fired immediately.

I'm not a lawyer and certainly don't know what all is in the docuemnts but why would Pearl accept something that doesn't cover him??

that is the whole sticking point right now and has been for 2-3 months on the "new contract".

guessing here:

Maybe Pearl accepts a letter without protection rather than be thrown out in September righgt before season begins?

If he currently has zero protection then I agree he could be terminated at anytime.

depends on what is in the CBP contract / agreement a to when they could do it.

The NCAA findings in letter can be appealed so what happens if on appeal charges are changed?

I'm doing speculating on this process so some or all I gues :) could be wrong...
Just to clarify, we can appeal findings before the punishments?

Just to clarify, we can appeal findings before the punishments?

the letter will have the NCAA findings (charges).

We have 90 days then to rebut those findings (charges) in front of a committee.

NCAA can then change findings and apply punishment (I think I'm right on this process but could be wrong).

Then we accept penalties but even those could go through an appeal process. USC is appealing their penalties right now trying to get back some of the scholarships they lost.

So we start the punishment, whatever it is, but COULD appeal it or parts of it.

Last I saw was an expectation of AUGUST before penalties may be known.

I'm sorry if any of this is wrong because I'm trying to recall from memory which is shaky at times.

In that case, unless we actually think the findings will be changed, I still think Pearl should be gone after we receive the letter. No reason to take a beating from the NCAA then fire Pearl anyways. This "all-in" crap may well backfire on Auburn and I certainly don't want to see it backfire on Tennessee.

I'm not a lawyer and certainly don't know what all is in the docuemnts but why would Pearl accept something that doesn't cover him??

that is the whole sticking point right now and has been for 2-3 months on the "new contract".

Because he has no leverage. All he can do is threaten to walk, and both he and UT know that he'd be walking right into unemployment. The only high-profile, highly paid job he has any chance of having for the next several years is Tennessee's. He either hangs on by his fingernails in Knoxville or he heads right back into D2 purgatory for half of his fifties. Whether Pearl signs this so-called new contract is irrelevant -- UT isn' t going to budge because everyone knows Pearl isn't going to leave until he's forced out.

VN Store

Back