Brinkman Offset Grill and Smoker

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
I just got one as a gift and got it put together last night,it is a mini

I've never used one before,any tips on how to cook with it ? Times and what you used for the fire would be helpful,as in how much charcoal to expect to burn and how much wood you used

I'm kinda of lost on how to use it,I know to chunk charcoal or wood into the fire box lol,do i need to have a layer of charcoal or wood in the main part? when I'm wanting to smoke something like a small ham or turkey ? or is it a combination of both ? or just the firebox ?

It will be a couple of days before I cure it,that and there is a part that I will be waiting on Brinkman to send,before i start using it,it had a bad weld on a part,but there suppose to ship it out in a hurry

I'm going to cut an apple tree down in my front yard,it is going to be what i can cut with a set of loppers till i can borrow a chainsaw

then i will go up in the woods and look for some hickory,when ever that happens,so i was planning on buying some hickory chips

I do plan on taking the warming rack out,so i can get a small turkey or ham in it

any ideas or links would be most appreciated :hi:

I just got one as a gift and got it put together last night,it is a mini

I've never used one before,any tips on how to cook with it ? Times and what you used for the fire would be helpful,as in how much charcoal to expect to burn and how much wood you used

I'm kinda of lost on how to use it,I know to chunk charcoal or wood into the fire box lol,do i need to have a layer of charcoal or wood in the main part? when I'm wanting to smoke something like a small ham or turkey ? or is it a combination of both ? or just the firebox ?

It will be a couple of days before I cure it,that and there is a part that I will be waiting on Brinkman to send,before i start using it,it had a bad weld on a part,but there suppose to ship it out in a hurry

I'm going to cut an apple tree down in my front yard,it is going to be what i can cut with a set of loppers till i can borrow a chainsaw

then i will go up in the woods and look for some hickory,when ever that happens,so i was planning on buying some hickory chips

I do plan on taking the warming rack out,so i can get a small turkey or ham in it

any ideas or links would be most appreciated :hi:

You probably already know this but the most important tool you can have while smoking is an accurate digital thermometer. It needs to show you the temp inside the smoker as well as the meat temp. Just don't try to use the little round thermometer on the outside of the smoker itself. Worthless lol.

They have models with a monitor that you can take around with you wherever you want so you don't have to go out and check it every few minutes. Some include cellphone apps that are really cool. (It is surprisingly fun to watch the temperature graphs go up and down as you occasionally open and close the door or add wood/charcoal)

But really that's all I got. I've never used the model you are referring to.

Have fun! :)

Edit: Oh and I have used almost exclusively apple wood for a while now. It is lighter smoke but also has a bit of a sweetness to it

Be sure to let the wood season. Sappy wood doesn't give a good taste. Not sure about the quality of brinkman offsets. The better ones have thick steel all the way around and full welds at every joint. I love my horizon for that.

Never put coals in the smoke box if possible. Don't want food to come out tasting like ash later. Hard to clean out if you do.

Take a look at amazingribs.com the guy is pretty knowledgeable. Just excuse the fact he is a Florida graduate.

I have a brinkman and love my smoker but its not a offset. One side is a gas grill other side a smoker, I have issues keeping the tempt from going pass 220. Any suggestions the coals and wood chips are under the grates and not a side box.

so just use wood chunks in the fire box right ? it actually has some some grills for the fire box,it looks like it would be good to just grill a few burgers on it to save on charcoal,from the few videos i found on you tube,they were into doing modifications on it

i will look later and see if i can find any links on how to cook with it and i will post em

here is a link from Brinkman

Brinkmann Tips to a Better Smoking Experience | Brinkmann

here is a link to see what it looks like

Brinkmann Charcoal Grill and Off-Set Smoker-810-3015-S at The Home Depot

Be sure to let the wood season. Sappy wood doesn't give a good taste. Not sure about the quality of brinkman offsets. The better ones have thick steel all the way around and full welds at every joint. I love my horizon for that.

Never put coals in the smoke box if possible. Don't want food to come out tasting like ash later. Hard to clean out if you do.

Take a look at amazingribs.com the guy is pretty knowledgeable. Just excuse the fact he is a Florida graduate.

from what little i have read,this model is ok for an entry level smoker,which should be fine for me

thanks ,this looks like the link that i need

The Best Offset Smoker and Barrel Smoker Setup and Modifications and gas conversion of offset smokers

well i have made the pineapple rings look like black shoe leather on a ham,but once i sliced off the char it was one of the best hams i have ate,other than it being a salt bomb from Wal Mart

I over cooked a turkey,till it was very dry,but it did taste good

over cooked a brisket just a tad,but it was good

smoked a rack of pork ribs,they were really good,but were over cooked just a little

grilled some wings,steaks and did some burgers and dogs on it,they were excellent and a pile of veggies

i have been doing better off of going by cooking times other than cooking temperatures,but i don't have a dual probe digital heat thermometer yet either,I'm keeping the one that came with it around 300 to 350 degrees,I probably should cut back on that,I'm still working on that

I've been using charcoal and wood chips so far,i have been using to much charcoal to start with,I am cutting back on how much i have been adding to the fire box,I'm using the Mixon method,I think that is what it is called,I'm making sure,that when i pour the coals i started in a chimney ,to one side in the fire box and have a pile of unlit briquettes on the other side,that is working really good

that is helping to control the temperature and getting a longer burn off of them,I'm just adding a few briquettes every 30 to 60 minutes to keep the temperature about the same and chucking in a small hand full of wood chips in at the same time

I've went thru a pile of charcoal trying to figure this beast out so far lol, I do need to get a chain saw and start using wood,which is going to be another learning curve

for the people in Morristown,I did get some bags of charcoal for 4 bucks and change at the new Ace Hardware store,the 16 pound bags,there brand burns as good as Kingsford ,ask them if there still on sale,I don't know how long that will last,i bought them a couple of days ago

I'm open to any ideas on what else to try with it.let me know what experiences you have had with such a critter and what has worked for you

have any of ya'll did any modifications to yours ? I did wrap some bricks in aluminum foil and place them in the bottom of the smoke chamber,to help control the temperature and rolled up some flashing and put it in the chimney opening , it is just an extension to get it to draw from the bottom of the "barrel",i have it extended to below the cooking grate level,which i take it out to use as a ordinary grill,which they seem to help a lot while i am smoking stuff

I need to get some kind of gasket or sealant to help stop the leaks on the top hood,which seems to be a problem with these,in the less expensive price range,any ideas ? something food safe,i have seen several ideas,but wondered about the food safe part

any help will be appreciated :)

Last edited:
here is some pictures of it

the last one is with it's rain coat on :loco:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
As far as tips go>>>>watch BBQ Pitmasters on cable.

I think for the most part you probably want to use your smoker to do just that to add smoke flavor. You can take the meat off and wrap it in foil and finish cooking it in the oven.

I think for the most part you probably want to use your smoker to do just that to add smoke flavor. You can take the meat off and wrap it in foil and finish cooking it in the oven.

i am planning on doing that more on the larger pieces of meat,as in a turkey or ham,it was right at $170 at the Home Depot

it is a bit smaller than it looks,i don't think i could get a large turkey or ham in it,i had to take out the warmer rack,the 10 to 15 pound pieces of meat fit just fine in it,i believe i could get 4 racks of ribs in it too,of course that would take a little extra turning for them,but it would work :)

actually with the grilling grates out and sitting something bigger on the charcoal grate i probably can smoke something bigger

i need a good dual probe digital thermometer too,a probe for the meat and one for the temp in the smoker part,that is next on my list of stuff to buy for it lol this is the one i want to get

Amazon.com: Maverick M Remote Smoker Thermometer [ET-73] - White: Kitchen & Dining

actually it is this one that i need

Amazon.com: Maverick ET732 Long Range Wireless Dual 2 Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer Set with Original Meathead Meat Temperature Magnet Guide (Black): Patio, Lawn & Garden

i bought a green ham at the wal mart,it was a freaking salt bomb,i have had cured ham that wasn't as salty,i'm wondering whether to buy a green ham or get a cured one next time and if i should go with a pre cooked one too,i will probably stay away from a cured one,i'm suppose to be watching the salt intake these days lol

Last edited:
Apple wood a pork loin. Stop not doing it.

I've got an apple tree in the front yard that needs to be cut down,of course it will need some seasoning first,i will pick up a bag of apple chips to use,i assume that the apple will do good on a rack of ribs too ?

i have found a food safe gasket for it

Amazon.com : 1/2" x 1/8" Nomex High Temp BBQ gasket smoker pit seal, self stick : Smoker Door Gaskets : Patio, Lawn & Garden

some thicker stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Nomex-gasket-..._sim_lg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=063VZA2B2HNR8M52ANF0

i found some food safe sealant too

Amazon.com: Food Safe RTV red adhesive 2.8 oz BBQ gasket grill smoker pit NSF silicon rubber High temp: Patio, Lawn & Garden

wished i had of had the sealant when i put the fire box on it,it does leak some between the fire box and the barrel,it would have been easy to apply it then,i may take it off and apply some or just make a bead all the way around it

Last edited:
I thought i would post some different recipes and directions for some smoking

some i have tried and some I haven't

ham

How To Slow-Smoke a Holiday Ham | Smoked Ham Recipe | BBQ Recipes | HowToBBQRight.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=visSGTZv9jk

ribs

BBQ Ribs low and slow on a smoker

no i didn't do the cinder blocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSFdddaRnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMQ7g2EJMoM

I didn't use any foil for the ribs,i have tried a pan and foil on some stuff,but i will probably go with not using either from now on

wings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShXRMlZc1q8

brisket

Beef Brisket Recipe: How to Smoke a Brisket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEZTx4l2czI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkVdSvbOMnE&feature=youtu.be

turkey

Turkey: Smoking - Get the basics of the Smoked Turkey
Best Smoked Turkey, Smoking A Turkey, How To Smoke Perfect Turkey, Smoked Turkey Tips, Smoking a Turkey, How To Smoke Thanksgiving Turkey, Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes, Thanksgiving Dinner
Perfect Smoked Turkey | The Domestic Man

dry rubs

Spicy Dry Rub - Recipe
About.com Search - Find it now!

i just posted the dry rubs to give a general idea as to what you can make,there are tons of recipes out there,i have bought a bunch of spices and just look at the recipes and decide what i will make with what i have

using a smoker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8inmZMhRQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gybrM6EQ6fg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUy1k86GdA
The Smoke Ring

the last is just some general information on using one

here is temperature guide

Meat temperature guide: When are steaks, chops, chicken, and other foods done?

Or forget wasting the foil and just throw it in the microwave.

Hey Mule,

I found this really great recourse recently. BBQ Ribs Recipes, Barbecue Recipes, Grilling Techniques, Baby Back Ribs, Barbeque Spareribs, Outdoor Cooking, Rating Grills and Smokers

Check it out. There are all kinds of recipes and techniques detailed out. They go really in depth on the science of why they teach things the way they do. I've found it to be very helpful!

Also, go get a dual probed digital. It will pay off on the first use lol. Cooking times are nice guidelines but they are set based on the average specimen of whatever piece of meat you are cooking. Remember, just a few degrees in meat temp can make a big difference in the final product.

Looks like you are enjoying the new hobby though! That's what its all about afterall :)

nice i want a power T on mine lol I've finally got all the stuff together,as far as the temp probes and stuff,i will give an up date on the next ham,we cooked so much the first week that i had it,that we are finally out of left overs :)

and i would like to have one made out of some heavy metal like yours

do you smoke ham in a pan or just set it on the grates ? we smoked one in a pan and it was good,other than i burnt the crap out of the outside of it :)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back