Brandon Lopez not using 5th year of eligibility here

No way did I say that? Young man, you must learn to recognize the spinmeisters! These guys are spinning that statement when Lopez only played a few minutes for the Vols. The key was "What it he became a star?" If that had happened, then the question would start to be asked. The reason there was such an outcry was exactly because it would look bad for the old coach and his diehard fans.

Your #8 in your BS list implied that if Lopez didn't ride the pine for Martin that it would've been a championship instead of a Sweet 16.

8. Then you guys jump on the bandwagon against him when you realize that if a point guard had sat on the bench for the entire Martin tenure and suddenly became a star, that would look not look good. Instead of a Sweet 16, it could have been a national championship.

Reactions: 1 person
No way did I say that? Young man, you must learn to recognize the spinmeisters! These guys are spinning that statement when Lopez only played a few minutes for the Vols. The key was "What it he became a star?" If that had happened, then the question would start to be asked. The reason there was such an outcry was exactly because it would look bad for the old coach and his diehard fans.

Always awesome to see someone accuse others of spinning, right in the middle of spinning something.

The fact that BL would have started at the point is not spin, and if you know anything at all about basketball, you know that as well as I do. I'm sorry if it would look bad on CM.

Judging by your numbering order, I can see why you shot for the English minor instead of the Math minor.

1. Your 1st point is irrelevant. New staff, new system. Running the scout team does not an SEC starting PG make.

2. Point #2, also irrelevant because Chiles was never healthy. Lopez was the PG by default until injured because he was the only true PG on the team at the time.

3. Being a leader doesn't make you a great PG.

4. Coaches say a lot of things that don't end up being accurate. It's called coachspeak.

5. Averaging 25 ppg in high school in east Tennessee is akin to averaging 25 ppg in Wyoming or Alaska. Very little competition. Name me the last three power 5 basketball signees to come from the Knoxville/East Tennessee area.

6. This is your only remotely valid point, but it still isn't proof (use your English minor to research the definition) of anything. Him being the only healthy PG on the roster may have still triggered the switch from SF to PG for JRich, who is still a better PG than Lopez despite never having played there.

6 (also known as 7). Stupidest stat ever.

8. Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Why does it bother you guys so much that he believes this? Understand disagreement, but throwing around "stupid" and hinting at drug abuse for believing a player was better than his performance/opportunity? If it annoys you, respond to it once with your alternate points and then ignore it. As is, the same posters fall all over each other trying to win the best personal insult achievement star.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Lopez could've helped, last year, and this year, but a national title? He ain't no Tyler ulis lol

Why does it bother you guys so much that he believes this? Understand disagreement, but throwing around "stupid" and hinting at drug abuse for believing a player was better than his performance/opportunity? If it annoys you, respond to it once with your alternate points and then ignore it. As is, the same posters fall all over each other trying to win the best personal insult achievement star.

Why does it bother you so much that people keep responding to him? Why can't you ignore those that choose to? And why not suggest to him to post his thoughts once instead of constantly repeating himself?

This all goes both ways.

1. I called the stat stupid, not the poster.

2. Obvious hyperbole with the cocaine comment. Drug abuse accusations, really? Come on. You know good and well that wasn't my intention.

3. I like you butchna, but with your post history, the irony in your last comment is rich. Even if your preferred method is being cute and witty, you're still looking to land a dig at other posters a lot.

You go back and forth with LV in the recruiting forum in the same manner some of us go back and forth with SD here.

Last edited:
Pssst! It's the Kool Aid!

OK. I'll do it 1, 2, 3 for you:
1. Brandon Lopez had run the point for three years going against the Martin first teams.
2. When the Vols opened practice, he was the lead point guard. After Chiles injury, he was the only point guard.
3. Donnie Tyndall singled him, Josh, and Armani out as being the three team leaders. He made the comment that Brandon was right there with the other two as far as leadership.
4. As Brandon continued to impress, Coach T started saying he would play 10 minutes a game but soon moved that to 20. He then said he may be the starter.
5. Going back to high school, he was an All-State player averaging 25+ points a game, so he was a baller. To think he had not improved greatly in 3 years on the Vol basketball team is ludicrous.
6. To think he would have not been the starting point guard when we had no other when Chiles walked in injured is also ludicrous.
7. Perfect size (PPI) for a point guard and very explosive.
8. Then you guys jump on the bandwagon against him when you realize that if a point guard had sat on the bench for the entire Martin tenure and suddenly became a star, that would look not look good. Instead of a Sweet 16, it could have been a national championship.
OK, for those who look for one statement they can interpret as foolish, let me clarify. Methinks it is just the opposite. Look at the whole paragraph. What it it says for those who can read between the lines and this was the thought process which you seem to be lacking. If Mr. VFL Lopez had been the starting point guard and if he had shown up the point guards during the 3 years he warmed the bench by becoming a star, then people would wonder what would have happened had he been on the point last year. For example,if, with his presence this team had become an NCAA tourney team this year, the questions would have come fast and furious. That may well have been possible if not for Josh having to play out of position and becoming the focus of the opposing team's defense totally exausting him trying to play both roles. OK, for those in the know, no I did not say they would have got the NCAA bid, I said IF!

1. I called the stat stupid, not the poster.

2. Obvious hyperbole with the cocaine comment. Drug abuse accusations, really? Come on. You know good and well that wasn't my intention.

3. I like you butchna, but with your post history, the irony in your last comment is rich. Even if your preferred method is being cute and witty, you're still looking to land a dig at other posters a lot.

You go back and forth with LV in the recruiting forum in the same manner some of us go back and forth with SD here.

If you're staying updated on the LV situation, you'll note that I, along with several other posters took that advice...and even with the juicy Kendall decommit, there's been relative peace. :)

You and the other posters on this thread are solid and I don't have a personal issue with any of you, but I usually poke at other posters when I sense a bullying or self important vibe coming on...sometimes it's only my perception and I end up being the bully. Trial and error on that...lots of error and red faced moments when I'm wrong. Funny thing is, I didn't really have a problem with Leb until he tried to inundate our recruiting with his own set of morals and slapped JMO FWIW etc on the end of it...on Leb's profile it states that he's intentionally doing this to get under VN's skin...so I started to benignly use his own medicine on him for a stretch before simply ceasing my responses. I don't see the same guy in SD...seems like a well meaning homer who gets a little enamored with pet project players and protects the coach like a mother bear does it's cub.

If it comes across hypocritical that I'm defending him, I guess my past posting exploits supports that. I do try to learn and I believe I've mellowed a lot since I started trying to contribute to this board. I don't believe you were actually accusing him of drug abuse but those drug reference do run free and easy in the civil discourses I've read in here. These were just my observations from outside the scrum. :hi:

If you're staying updated on the LV situation, you'll note that I, along with several other posters took that advice...and even with the juicy Kendall decommit, there's been relative peace. :)

You and the other posters on this thread are solid and I don't have a personal issue with any of you, but I usually poke at other posters when I sense a bullying or self important vibe coming on...sometimes it's only my perception and I end up being the bully. Trial and error on that...lots of error and red faced moments when I'm wrong. Funny thing is, I didn't really have a problem with Leb until he tried to inundate our recruiting with his own set of morals and slapped JMO FWIW etc on the end of it...on Leb's profile it states that he's intentionally doing this to get under VN's skin...so I started to benignly use his own medicine on him for a stretch before simply ceasing my responses. I don't see the same guy in SD...seems like a well meaning homer who gets a little enamored with pet project players and protects the coach like a mother bear does it's cub.

If it comes across hypocritical that I'm defending him, I guess my past posting exploits supports that. I do try to learn and I believe I've mellowed a lot since I started trying to contribute to this board. I don't believe you were actually accusing him of drug abuse but those drug reference do run free and easy in the civil discourses I've read in here. These were just my observations from outside the scrum. :hi:

I appreciate the civil response. Unlike you, I see a little LV in SD. I think SD is perhaps slightly more genuine, but the relentless, obsessive, redundant opinions in every thread are very similar. Some so ridiculous (the argument that BL could have remotely been the difference in a possible National Championship for example) that they warrant the responses they get.

I often feel that he perpetuates those arguments, much like LV, to get a rise out of people. Is he a blind homer? Sure, and naive to boot if he genuinely believes half the stuff he posts. Do some of us go over the top to dispute some of his ridiculous claims? Probably, but as VolsSportsFan noted, that street runs both ways.

In any case, I've no problem with you and the manner in which you post.

If he had any legitimate chance at contributing to the team, then he would be staying for his 5th year. Instead he is moving on looking to start a career or an opportunity to play elsewhere.

If he had any legitimate chance at contributing to the team, then he would be staying for his 5th year. Instead he is moving on looking to start a career or an opportunity to play elsewhere.

Checkmate.

+2

And boom goes the dynamite.

Not to be a smartass or anything but thats why I posted the OP. I figured the quote from Donnie saying "I never had a chance to really coach Brandon." Was telling enough.

Not to be a smartass or anything but thats why I posted the OP. I figured the quote from Donnie saying "I never had a chance to really coach Brandon." Was telling enough.

No smartass taken. But that comment doesn't automatically mean anything. He'd have been given the chance is all that can really be inferred. Imo

As we beat that dead horse! Haha

Not to be a smartass or anything, but why would he want to come back after reading your comments before and after his injury, and now after his recognition ceremony. You guys are the same characters who drove Cuonzo Martin to California.

Not to be a smartass or anything, but why would he want to come back after reading your comments before and after his injury, and now after his recognition ceremony. You guys are the same characters who drove Cuonzo Martin to California.

I would hope BL has better things to do than read this message board. If we ran off CCM and BL based on these discussions, then their hearts were not really into this in the first place.

BTW, you started all this with the outrageous assumption that BL was going to be our starting pg. When in fact as the OP has stated (thx IKrager) that CDT has said that he never really had a chance to coach BL.

I have said on several occasions that BL is a most likely a great kid. I would not wish a injury on anyone. I wish he had played this year. he would have helped this team. I hope he does well in whatever he chooses to do. But if he is leaving the team because of what has been written here on VN, then he has a rough life ahead of him.

Fortunately he is not leaving because of what has been written here. That is just another assumption.

BTW, you started all this with the outrageous assumption that BL was going to be our starting pg. When in fact as the OP has stated (thx IKrager) that CDT has said that he never really had a chance to coach BL.
Oh, don't you know how much it hurts to turn this into an outrageous statement of fact on my part? It shows who's in the know and who's blowing smoke.
"If, as Tyndall said in a press release announcing that Lopez would miss the season, the senior had a chance to start, where does that leave the point guard position?"
Chris Dortch » Loss of walk-on point guard Lopez will hurt Tennessee

Oh, don't you know how much it hurts to turn this into an outrageous statement of fact on my part? It shows who's in the know and who's blowing smoke.
"If, as Tyndall said in a press release announcing that Lopez would miss the season, the senior had a chance to start, where does that leave the point guard position?"
Chris Dortch » Loss of walk-on point guard Lopez will hurt Tennessee

The word "If" is a conditional clause. "IF Brandon Lopez had a CHANCE to start..." "If" and "chance" don't sound like proof of anything. Every piece of evidence you allude to contains verbiage like that. You haven't produced one quote that explicitly says Lopez would have started at PG, despite that being your stance. If you could, there would be no argument from the other side. Just admit that it's your opinion, and quit stating it as an absolute fact. You'll face a lot less resistance IMO.

The word "If" is a conditional clause. "IF Brandon Lopez had a CHANCE to start..." "If" and "chance" don't sound like proof of anything. Every piece of evidence you allude to contains verbiage like that. You haven't produced one quote that explicitly says Lopez would have started at PG, despite that being your stance. If you could, there would be no argument from the other side. Just admit that it's your opinion, and quit stating it as an absolute fact. You'll face a lot less resistance IMO.
There is no if there. Chiles did not measure up nor did Punter both according to Tyndall. Even said that Chiles was more of a 2 man. He railed exclusively on Punter being a 2 man not a point guard. You can look that up, too. BRANDON LOPEZ was the starter until he was injured and Josh had to be put in that position. But boy would people have wondered why he didn't play before? You see, that is the one and only reason he was attacked so viciously. It would have been disastrous for you and others like you if he had succeeded after sitting on the bench behind inconsistent starters at the PG position and hardly ever seeing the court. It really showed you had absolutely no concern about how successful this basketball team was as long as it didn't have BL as the point guard.

There is no if there. Chiles did not measure up nor did Punter both according to Tyndall. Even said that Chiles was more of a 2 man. He railed exclusively on Punter being a 2 man not a point guard. You can look that up, too. BRANDON LOPEZ was the starter until he was injured and Josh had to be put in that position. But boy would people have wondered why he didn't play before? You see, that is the one and only reason he was attacked so viciously. It would have been disastrous for you and others like you if he had succeeded after sitting on the bench behind inconsistent starters at the PG position and hardly ever seeing the court. It really showed you had absolutely no concern about how successful this basketball team was as long as it didn't have BL as the point guard.
Ahh makes perfect sense now, thanks for clearing that up.

VN Store

Back