Bracketology Update

Creme moved the LVs up to 6 seed in the UConn bracket. SCAR now a 1, MSU down to 2, UK still a 4, Mizzou a 5 (also in UConn bracket), aTm a 6, LSU an 8 and Auburn back in at 11. Looks like UK is going to get preferential seeding again so they can host.

Hopefully, the LVs can make it to the SECT finals and improve their NCAAT seeding. The UConn bracket is a murderous path-- but a 4 or 5 seed there would be even worse.

Last edited:
Creme moved the LVs up to 6 seed in the UConn bracket. SCAR now a 1, MSU down to 2, UK still a 4, Mizzou a 5 (also in UConn bracket), aTm a 6, LSU an 8 and Auburn back in at 11. Looks like UK is going to get preferential seeding again so they can host.

Hopefully, the LVs can make it to the SECT finals and improve their NCAAT seeding. The UConn bracket is a murderous path-- but a 4 or 5 seed there would be even worse.

Who has U.K. Beat for them to earn a 4 seed? Lady vols have some bad losses but I think the 4 wins against top 10 teams (2 on the road) should earn them a 4 seed.

Who has U.K. Beat for them to earn a 4 seed? Lady vols have some bad losses but I think the 4 wins against top 10 teams (2 on the road) should earn them a 4 seed.

UK is getting preferential seeding because they're hosting regionals in Lexington. The committee is keeping UK at home for the first games-- same as last year.

I'm a little surprised Creme didn't project the LVs as a 5 seed, but it's ultimately the committee's decision. The SECT can change things.

UK is getting preferential seeding because they're hosting regionals in Lexington. The committee is keeping UK at home for the first games-- same as last year.

I'm a little surprised Creme didn't project the LVs as a 5 seed, but it's ultimately the committee's decision. The SECT can change things.

I think if the Lady Vols get past Bama/Vanderbilt, then beat Kentucky, Kentucky will drop below the 4 line. Where the Lady Vols end up may largely depend on what happens to the teams near them in seeding. It's still not out of the question that they could host -- especially if they make it to the SECT Final.

As it currently stands for Creme's Bracketology, that potential second round matchup against Maryland AT Maryland looks pretty scary.

I think if the Lady Vols get past Bama/Vanderbilt, then beat Kentucky, Kentucky will drop below the 4 line. Where the Lady Vols end up may largely depend on what happens to the teams near them in seeding. It's still not out of the question that they could host -- especially if they make it to the SECT Final.

As it currently stands for Creme's Bracketology, that potential second round matchup against Maryland AT Maryland looks pretty scary.

I agree-- if the LVs get to the SECT finals, they should get a 4 seed. Playing that extra day with a short bench will make it tougher to get past SCAR in the semis, but the LVs have the talent to do it.

I don't care what side of the brackets the lady vols are on if they are consistent thru out the NCAA/SECT they can beat anybody. The only thing that makes me nervous is fatigue & the short bench. Hopefully Reynolds and the rest of the other players score a little more to take some of the pressure off of the big 3.

It would really help UT if they could come out with a good lead in the first game so that Dunbar and Harris can play some and give the starters some rest.

That sounds about right considering Tennessee is not ranked in the AP Top 25 poll that came out today.

FYI the AP poll doesn't have much to do with the NCAA seed. Some teams that are ranked in the top 25 haven't played a lot of ranked teams. As of today in the RPI ranking Tennessee is #16 in the country.

FYI the AP poll doesn't have much to do with the NCAA seed. Some teams that are ranked in the top 25 haven't played a lot of ranked teams. As of today in the RPI ranking Tennessee is #16 in the country.

RPI is a factor, not the end-all, be-all. I just can't see Tennessee in the top 16 with 5 losses to sub-50 teams. That will hurt them despite the 4 top 10 wins, RPI and SOS.

If the LVs beat UK in the SECT, it will be interesting to see what the committee does. If the LVs can cap that dominating road win against MSU with impressive wins to the semis in the SECT, that opens the door to a 4 seed, IMO. But more than likely, the LVs will end up with a 5 or 6 seed. That Bama loss was just so costly.

Reactions: 1 person
The Lady Vols will be difficult to seed simply because nobody knows for sure which team will show up. If it's the team that beat Miss State, South Carolina, Notre Dame, or Stanford, then you could make a solid argument for a #2 or #3 seeded team. If it's the one that lost to Alabama, Ole Miss, or Georgia, then you could make a solid argument for #11. My guess is that it'll depend a lot on the SEC tournament results. If they can find a way to win it all or at least make the championship game, then they could make a play at a #4 seed. If they are 1 and done or even 2 and done then I'd look for something closer to the 6 to 8 range. One feather in their cap which may help is that the majority of the losses have been close: only Auburn, Baylor, and Penn State were top to bottom "bad" losses. The other seven losses were mostly competitive and could have resulted in a win had they played better in the final 5 minutes.

If the LVs beat UK in the SECT, it will be interesting to see what the committee does. If the LVs can cap that dominating road win against MSU with impressive wins to the semis in the SECT, that opens the door to a 4 seed, IMO. But more than likely, the LVs will end up with a 5 or 6 seed. That Bama loss was just so costly.

If we end up playing Bama in our first SECT game, and it's a convincing win, I can see the committee basically ignoring the first loss and chalking it up to DeShields missing most of that game. The committee has been known to give teams a pass in similar situations, unless that player is expected to be out for the tournament. Doesn't excuse the other 9 losses but in terms of RPI, Bama was the worst.

Losing 10 games = totally embarrassing.

I agree...with this much talent, the pollsters are giving Tennessee no respect...and quite frankly...it's hard to argue about it! Just inexcusable losses! If honesty was a priority with all the various media, they wouldn't lay the blame on the players...but on the head coach...and that's where the blame should rest! Even Holly has stated that the results should rest firmly on her shoulders...

Meh -- the only seed I don't want is a 4 seed in UConn's bracket. Any place else is fine with me; line 'em up and beat 'em, and see how far you can go.

The 1997 championship team had 10 losses going into the NCAA, including losing the lat game of the regular season AND the SEC championship game. Just looked at the box scores for that season, and they threw some clunkers along the way.

Can this team do the same? Who knows? But I'm ready to see them try, and plan on cheering them every step of the way. Survive and advance!

Meh -- the only seed I don't want is a 4 seed in UConn's bracket. Any place else is fine with me; line 'em up and beat 'em, and see how far you can go.

The 1997 championship team had 10 losses going into the NCAA, including losing the lat game of the regular season AND the SEC championship game. Just looked at the box scores for that season, and they threw some clunkers along the way.

Can this team do the same?...

Sit back and watch...
This road has been traveled before!

Can this team do the same? Who knows? But I'm ready to see them try, and plan on cheering them every step of the way. Survive and advance!

If I am Holly, I would show this team the documentary that HBO did on the '97 team. That was a great piece. Speaking of which, does anybody know how I get a copy of that?

https://youtu.be/mg3EaxA7_zk

I believe that is it. The whole thing is there on youtube. Its an awesome documentary

There it is! Thanks so much! If I am not mistaken, I believe HBO initially followed them around because they thought they would have a near-perfect season. It looks like they missed the boat by one season. I believe this made for the better story though.

In Creme's updated bracket, the LVs are a 7 seed in SCAR's bracket. That is actually a better draw for the LVs, since they get Oregon State, instead of MD, in the second round-- and no UConn. They could make a deeper run in this bracket... assuming they can get past Indiana in round 1.

Maybe Creme felt sorry for long-suffering LV fans?

Last edited:
In Creme's updated bracket, the LVs are a 7 seed in SCAR's bracket. That is actually a better draw for the LVs, since they get OSU, instead of MD, in the second round-- and no UConn. They could actually make a deeper run in this bracket... assuming they can get past Indiana in round 1.

Maybe Creme felt sorry for long-suffering LV fans?

OSU would not be a good matchup for Tennessee, because they have size and defense now this year. I think OSU would win. Diamond would get cancelled out by Mitchell, and OSU has a deeper team with a lot of talent.

Still holding out for that#8 in UConns's bracket 😁

OSU would not be a good matchup for Tennessee, because they have size and defense now this year. I think OSU would win. Diamond would get cancelled out by Mitchell, and OSU has a deeper team with a lot of talent.

Still holding out for that#8 in UConns's bracket 😁

OSU = Oregon State. Were you thinking Ohio State?

IDT the LVs will drop to an 8 seed. They were probably going to be seeded 5-7, no matter how the SECT played out.

VN Store

Back