Books You've Read Recently

Milo, you are an intriguing dude. Tell me more about people you've met who've lived in the USSR...
First and foremost is a close friend whose parents lived in Estonia under soviet rule.

She was an elitist, though she was right in a lot of ways. The free market creates, and government destroys. I still can't figure out why she despised anarchists. Anarchy should've been the logical conclusion derived from her philosophy.
That's the primary logical inconsistency I have with her. Also, trolling people who subscribe to both rand and Christianity with Rand's quote something to the effect of church or Sunday school being "communist training grounds" always yields a humorous result.

has anyone on here read any books by rr martin that aren't the game of thrones?and can anyone tell me a good sci-fi/fantasy book that i might like?something wrote really well.

i am looking for something to read after i finish the lord of rings series.

george rr martin and a women that i can't remember her name are releasing a new book called windhaven.

has anyone on here read any books by rr martin that aren't the game of thrones?and can anyone tell me a good sci-fi/fantasy book that i might like?something wrote really well.

Have you read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? The Dark Tower by Stephen King is another of my favorite series.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
i've seen the dark towers series by king.are they a good read?
whats the wheel of time about?
i've read the hobbit already.

ty

Dark Tower is in my plans.

I really enjoyed the Dragonlance series by Hickman and Weis. Not sure it would be classified as great writing but is entertaining fantasy.

has anyone read the prince of thorns and the king of thorns or dragon age?

Have you read all of the novels by H.G. Wells and Aldous Huxley?

I also recommend Vikram Chandra if you like fantasy (although it is not sci-fi).

Have you read all of the novels by H.G. Wells and Aldous Huxley?

I also recommend Vikram Chandra if you like fantasy (although it is not sci-fi).

Anything good you recommend? I've only read Brave New World.

Love Wells, too. Read War of the Worlds and The Time Machine. Are Moreau and Invisible Man worth reading?

Anything good you recommend? I've only read Brave New World.

I thought The Ape and the Essence was pretty great. Also, Point Counter Point almost always shows up on lists of greatest English novels.

Personally, I think his best work is Ends and Means, a little known philosophical and moral treatise by Huxley. The only copy I could find was a first edition, hardback for about $150; and, I have to say, I was not disappointed. He was certainly a brilliant mind.

Finished Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals, yesterday. Today, I started on Rousseau's Social Contract. Nietzsche continued to provide nothing more than barbed criticism and deconstruction (in which he is correct on many points), while giving back nothing positive. Rousseau, thus far, is making a pretty strong argument for rights (though, some of his arguments are unsound).

I've recently finished Reading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. Great Book !!!

That is one of my favorite books. You should also read his book, The Great Train Robbery. It's unlike any of his sci-fi stuff. That one is also on my top ten list.

Stealing the General is an amazing read. Union covert operation to steal a Confederate train. It's really interesting.

Just received my bi-lingual, four volume edition of Democracy in America. I am very much looking forward to reading this again (I think the last time I read it, I was 18 or 19 and it was some really terrible Penguin Books translation).

Just started Steven Pinker's Better Angels of Our Nature. I found the following to be fascinating:

Ten years after the Iceman was discovered, a team of radiologists made a startling discovery: Otzi had an arrowhead embedded in his shoulder. He had not fallen in a crevasse and frozen to death, as scientists had originally surmised; he had been murdered. As his body was examined by the CSI Neolithic team, the outlines of the crime came into view. Otzi had unhealed cuts on his hands and wounds on his head and chest. DNA analyses found traces of blood from two other people on one of his arrowheads, blood from a third on his dagger, and blood from a fourth on his cape. According to one reconstruction, Otzi belonged to a raiding party that clashed with a neighboring tribe. He killed a man with an arrow, retrieved it, killed another man, retrieved the arrow again, and carried a wounded comrade on his back before fending off an attack and being felled by an arrow himself.

For those not familiar with the book, Pinker claims that we are living in the most peaceful epoch of human history. This 800-page tome contains his data and his argument. It should be a fun, and fascinating, read.

VN Store

Back