Bonds about to break HR record

I agree with Hat and BigPapa. I'd like to see Barry warm up on Uncle Bitters before he breaks his record.

why do you say Frank or Mays were better? The stats say Aaron was better.

Aaron .305 avg 755 Hr's 2297 rbi's

Robinson .294 avg 586 hr's 1812 rbi's

Mays .302 avg 660 hr's 1903 rbi's
That's why I could care less about stats. Mays played in caverns like the Polo Grounds and Candlestick Park. Aaron, conversely, played in a bandbox in Milwaukee and the Launching Pad. Mays was the vastly superior defender. Robinson won an MVP in each league and was a central figure on dominant Oriole teams. Aaron is simply a tremendous player who played a long time in great hitters parks. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with Frank Robinson, let alone Willie Mays.

That's why I could care less about stats. Mays played in caverns like the Polo Grounds and Candlestick Park. Aaron, conversely, played in a bandbox in Milwaukee and the Launching Pad. Mays was the vastly superior defender. Robinson won an MVP in each league and was a central figure on dominant Oriole teams. Aaron is simply a tremendous player who played a long time in great hitters parks. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with Frank Robinson, let alone Willie Mays.
mays4.jpg

why do you say Frank or Mays were better? The stats say Aaron was better.

Aaron .305 avg 755 Hr's 2297 rbi's

Robinson .294 avg 586 hr's 1812 rbi's

Mays .302 avg 660 hr's 1903 rbi's
What about(AB) plate appearances stats?

I agree with most of what of you have to say. The Polo Grounds though did have very short corners but it was a very very deep park. Aaron did have three Gold Gloves but I do agree Mays was the better player but I don't think Robinson was.

After looking at Aaron's stats he seems to have been a better player than I ever thought. Probably one of the most consistent players ever.

What about(AB) plate appearances stats?

IMO that isn't a good arguement to make. Sure if Ruth had as many plate appearances as Aaron this wouldn't be a discussion but in order to get records like those you've got to play a long time and have a ton of at bats. Durability plays a part in these records so I'm not going to fault someone for the number of times they stepped to the plate.

Can anyone dispute the following?

Barry Bonds
-Barry Bonds is a Hall-of-Famer
-Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player in my lifetime (I'm 32), regardless of his use of performance-enhancing drugs
-Baseball's steroid policy has been a mockery.
-Barry Bonds used performance-enhancing drugs (at a minimum, the cream and the clear) at a time when Baseball didn't outlaw them.
-Barry Bonds said he didn't realize he was taking performance-enhancing drugs
-Barry Bonds' use of performance-enhancing drugs aided his ability to hit HRs

Hank Aaron
-Hank Aaron was a phenomenal baseball player, won 3 Gold Gloves, was perhaps the most consistent hitter over a career, and such a great hitter that MLB named an award in his name for the most effective hitters in each league
-Hank Aaron has said he won't attend when Barry Bonds breaks the HR record.
-Hank Aaron made this statement before Bonds was accused of taking steroids.
-Hank Aaron has said many times that he's not passionate about records and believes baseball is not about breaking records but about playing to the best of your ability

If all this is true, why would anyone diss either of these players?

The more we debate this record, the more hype we give it, and the less attention we place on the beauty of the game of baseball, something both of these players have added to in abundance throughout their careers.

Baseball didn't outlaw 'roids but America does. but yea lots of good points that are tough to argue.

I still stand by saying that Bonds deserves this record. Furthermore, that guys like McGwire and Sosa ought to be first-ballot HOF'ers. It's a players' responsibility to play clean, but it's also MLB's responsibility to police the game. IMO, when it comes to steroids in baseball, you ain't guilty if you didn't get caught. Otherwise you're keeping players out of the HOF based on suspicion, which is seriously f***ed up.

VN Store

Back