Bob Kesling (merged)

With the way some of y’all actively dislike Bob, you would’ve thought he broke into your house, kicked your dog, and made love with your wife

Why are radio broadcasts still a thing? Everyone has a phone that can stream anything you want. It’s not just a dying art it’s an unnecessary art. There’s really no need to spend money on anyone good at it. They should just let college communications students take turn doing it every game.

But Kesling said he was retiring after 2022 season but he apparently changed his mind. I don't think it's the powers that be as much as it is Kesling apparently won't just retire and make things easy for everyone.
Lol. The person who put out the announcement of Bob’s “retirement” was Richard G. West, the infamous Twitter troll. Sorry if you got your hopes up.

Reactions: GAVol
Why are radio broadcasts still a thing? Everyone has a phone that can stream anything you want. It’s not just a dying art it’s an unnecessary art. There’s really no need to spend money on anyone good at it. They should just let college communications students take turn doing it every game.
Some fans enjoy having an energetic and partisan call from one of their own. We had that with Ward ..... but Bob is bland and boring. There is no reason to listen to him. He doesn't come across as any more of a Tennessee fan than Brad Nessler.

personally, i would love to see John Wilkerson as the voice of the Vols. he does an amazing job with baseball and from the times i have met him, is a genuine nice guy that is easy to root for.
he does great on baseball games. Mike Keith would be my choice. He comes down alot for signing day and helps out.

As great as Ward was in football, he was even greater in basketball. Tough act to follow. Bless Bob. For all of his deficiencies, his love and enthusiasm for UT is pure. He paid his dues for that reason alone and was awarded the job. With increasing TV coverage becoming available at the time, his promotion was somewhat harmless to the radio coverage. Tim, and now Pat, and Bert, have made the broadcasts tolerable

Reactions: sami and Volfan1000
I too try and sync up the radio with the TV especially when game is on CBS. Don't really care to listen to Bob myself, but it's better than Danielson and use to be Uncle Vern. I guess we better get use to Bob if he's not going anywhere because Beth Mowins(spelling) is right around the corner.

If you listen to Bob he always adds an a at the end of some words. It's infuriating! This is what I mean "And the field goal is gooda!" He adds the a on words ending in d, m, n mostly but he doesn't discriminate!

he does great on baseball games. Mike Keith would be my choice. He comes down alot for signing day and helps out.

John Wilkerson will probably be the replacement for Kesling and Vince Ferrara will probably commence calling the baseball games.

If you listen to Bob he always adds an a at the end of some words. It's infuriating! This is what I mean "And the field goal is gooda!" He adds the a on words ending in d, m, n mostly but he doesn't discriminate!
Likely from looking in a mirror for hours enunciating Iamaleava.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
I think it was also hard on Bob taking over after a legend. Then he lost his umph and passion it seems. I have nothing against him personally. But i do think its time to retire and give us a fresh voice over the radio.

Reactions: DowsaTV and Flovol
Kesling just is what he is - a TV guy wedged into radio. I think he probably sounds like most TV guys on the radio. It's just not easy filling up the air with words for 3 hours without having some awkward moments. I do think he's actually better than Ward was at the non-PxP stuff. Those old Johnny Majors Shows were brutal at times watching poor Ward try to drag Johnny through a conversation lol.

I will say though, if you want to realize how good you've got it, go listen to the goofiness of Scott Howard at UGA or Todd Ellis over at South Carolina sounding like a JV pro wrestling announcer on a ventilator. Kesling may not give you the signature moments you want, but he's at least professional the rest of the time.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
tell that to the mexican speaking volfans..

Kesling just is what he is - a TV guy wedged into radio. I think he probably sounds like most TV guys on the radio. It's just not easy filling up the air with words for 3 hours without having some awkward moments. I do think he's actually better than Ward was at the non-PxP stuff. Those old Johnny Majors Shows were brutal at times watching poor Ward try to drag Johnny through a conversation lol.

I will say though, if you want to realize how good you've got it, go listen to the goofiness of Scott Howard at UGA or Todd Ellis over at South Carolina sounding like a JV pro wrestling announcer on a ventilator. Kesling may not give you the signature moments you want, but he's at least professional the rest of the time.
when you professional, do you mean robot?

I think you left out part of the field goal sequence...."And the field goal is....(the crowd cheers, the stadium announcers say good, tv stations go to commercial)....gooda"

As great as Ward was in football, he was even greater in basketball.

100% agree. Ward was brilliant at both, but I can remember listening to away basketball games when I was at UT as a student in the early '80's, and he was riveting, you felt like you were there with him. His "bottom!" call on big shots is legendary.

100% agree. Ward was brilliant at both, but I can remember listening to away basketball games when I was at UT as a student in the early '80's, and he was riveting, you felt like you were there with him. His "bottom!" call on big shots is legendary.
Have you heard Scott Van Pelt trying to say it? He says, "bottoms". I yell at the TV set every time he's doing Sports Center

Reactions: sami
Because the radio and media rights still generate about $12.5 million in revenue for UT every year.

John Wilkerson will probably be the replacement for Kesling and Vince Ferrara will probably commence calling the baseball games.
I don’t think most people realize that John is only three or four years younger than Bob. He would be great, but when Bob retires in a few years, I’d imagine they would go after someone that would have the potential for a 25+ year run like Bob has.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back