Biggest surprise from O&W game?

Did you read the post? It stated that the crowd was limited to 10,000. If you want to be a rebel, at least read what is posted.
I don't understand your response. I agreed with you !!! I was the OP that said the crowd was limited to 10K due to construction.

If Boo Carter and Edwin Spillman are the impact players I think they can be this year, this defense will easily be the best of Heupel’s tenure.
Even if they aren’t completely ready yet, this should still be the best defense. By far the deepest we’ve been on D line and having Pilli back at LB should do wonders for us. Secondary is the biggest question, but we have talent and picked up a couple of nice transfers. I do hope Spillman and Boo can contribute this year though.

I’m so scared for our secondary. They’ve got to be better this year. This is the most talented group we’ve had in over a decade so it’s put up or shut up time for old Willy.

If I have to watch another year of opponents converting on 3rd down seemingly at will due to our secondary being out of position, slow and just completely lost before the play even begins I’m going to rip my hair out.

I went to game with my son who was a D1 Qb. He really has a lot of insight on players. He told me after the game that #88 Charlie Browder was one of the players that stood out to him. He said he was running good routes and was open quite often. He said QB's love tall TE's on short yardage throws.

If Boo Carter and Edwin Spillman are the impact players I think they can be this year, this defense will easily be the best of Heupel’s tenure.
It’s gotten better every year so I think you’re probably gonna be right. This team has national title potential with some luck.

And to clarify, no team in history has ever won a Natty without luck.

Our ceiling is as high as anyone in CFB.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I’m so scared for our secondary. They’ve got to be better this year. This is the most talented group we’ve had in over a decade so it’s put up or shut up time for old Willy.

If I have to watch another year of opponents converting on 3rd down seemingly at will due to our secondary being out of position, slow and just completely lost before the play even begins I’m going to rip my hair out.
It wasn’t great last year, but we weren’t as bad as you painted it. On third downs, our pass defense gave up a passer rating ranked 45th in the nation, and 5th in the SEC, behind Missouri, Bama, Georgia, and Ole Miss.

We were decent last year. Folks like to push a narrative that we were awful but the numbers suggest we were decent.
78th in opponent 3rd down conversions per game mostly caused by our out of position and slow DBs. Idk if I could call that “decent”.

Reactions: FBtime
It wasn’t great last year, but we weren’t as bad as you painted it. On third downs, our pass defense gave up a passer rating ranked 45th in the nation, and 5th in the SEC, behind Missouri, Bama, Georgia, and Ole Miss.
Again, our defense got worse, somehow, on 3rd downs between ‘22 and last year(didn’t think that was even possible). I wanted Willie fired in the offseason, but he was kept around for some reason. Time will tell what the ‘24 Vols DBs performance will be like but I’m not holding my breath.

It is hard to gauge things like this. Our QBs, and to an extent every player on the field, are having their difficulty levels dialed up and down so the coaches can see what they can do without overwhelming them.

So if, for instance, running our full offense at 100% looks kinda like this airplane cockpit:

View attachment 634460

During the spring game, Nico might be handling a cut-back version that's a bit more like this:

View attachment 634461

And Merk might be protected by a much more limited scheme, sorta like this:

View attachment 634462

And we outsiders just can't know. We don't know how the staff are challenging them.

Really hard to find any valid, verifiable conclusions from a spring scrimmage, unless you're on the inside. But I do like the raw talent that is evident all across the field. We're getting there.

Go Vols!
This is an amazing analogy

I hope we are winning big in a lot of games so Moore will get quite a bit of playing time. He's been a great addition to this team and a great teammate. He could've left and been a starter at a smaller school but he stuck around. I would love to see him get enough stats and video to where he could make it to an NFL practice squad

78th in opponent 3rd down conversions per game mostly caused by our out of position and slow DBs. Idk if I could call that “decent”.
I saw 45th, not sure what website you used to find 78th.

EDIT: conversion % was better. Opposing offense also run more plays against us than the average, so the rate is more important than the total.

That unit had finally better produce. Should be Martinez’s last chance to field an SEC-quality secondary.
Banks has a lot to do with the secondary. He coaches safeties, they have been terrible since he has been here. It's not all on Martinez

My biggest surprise is we are 9 deep at WR with good ones. I didn’t really realize that till I saw the graphic. Omg if Nico is decent then this is going to be fun to watch.

We were decent last year. Folks like to push a narrative that we were awful but the numbers suggest we were decent.
Watching the games suggested we were not. We let UTSA’s 3rd string QB go 18-20 on us. Devin Leary carved us up like he never had before. All the QBs we lost against looked great.

Any statistical “narratives” saying we had a decent pass defense ignored what you saw on the field and only existed due to the easiest schedule in nearly 50 years. The Defensive Line was phenomenal against SC and A&M, but when they were anything less than dominant, the pass defense was flat bad if the other team had a pulse.

I felt like some of the QB play especially the running part was in part due to not being under the real gametime pressure from the defense . If you can't hit the QB you're not going to be pushing it.

Looks like we have another newbie on our board who has little respect for facts. Has 43 posts and claims to be from Athens. Is that Athens Tennessee or Georgia?
I love how post count equates to intelligence about Tennessee football on this forum. 🙄

VN Store

Back