Biggest On Field Problem for Jones

There is certainly need for improvement for all of Tennessee's units but the defensive backfield was just really bad. No need to go in to all the plays they didn't make to demostrate that point. Dooley apparently saw the weakness and signed 7 DB's in the 2011 class. See list below. My question to you guys who may get to see practice or otherwise get feedback from coaches, etc. are all these guys just busts, or are we gonna get better in 2013? I mean can any of these guys run, know how to tackle, take a good angle to the ball, not bust assignments, make a play on the ball?

Justin Coleman
Izauea Lanier
Eddrick Loften
Pat Martin
Byron Moore
Geraldo Orta
Brian Randolf

Lack of a pass rush played a big role in that too. We haven't had a legitimate pass rush since Overstreet left.

I think Jones (or Jancek since he's the DC) biggest challenge is getting the players to play fundamental defense with discipline and poise--something the previous staff couldn't do....which is why we sucked so bad...amongst other things.

Reactions: 1 person
Bryan Randolph and Brandon Moore will be solid SEC players IMO, I can't say on the others....we'll see I guess

I think it can be hard to tell the difference between 'slow' and 'out of position' when watching a bad defense. I will say when a team is ranked #111 in total defense, the defense is probably both slow and out of position.

The defense definitely needs a talent upgrade to be SEC championship caliber but better coaching should be able to at least make this defense average. There's some talent there.

Reactions: 3 people
Until CBJ & Staff has a class signed and start to have actual on field practices....there are no problems

i don't think speed was lacking so bad that they couldn't compete. from what i saw, football IQ was way off and with our LB's (especially Lathers), play recognition was AB-SENT!

The 2011 team that held Cincy to 20 plus points has Lanier, Teague and Art Evans plus our current crop that played this year.
So, did these three make that big of a difference?

The Biggest difference was Justin Wilcox and changing defensive schemes. Had DD gone with a defensive coordinator that pretty much ran the same defense as 2011, he would probably still have a job.

Blessing in disguise.

Biggest on field problem?

Bringing the Big Least to an SEC gunfight.

Biggest on field problem?

Bringing the Big Least to an SEC gunfight.

We'll see. Gators brought the WAC with Meyer and that worked out. Razorbacks had a "big least" coach and that was going pretty good until the MC wreck.

Not saying Jones is the answer but even with the players Vols had, a better staff may have beaten everyone but Bama last year.

Regardless Jones is the coach so I'm choosing to live in hope rather than fear.

GBO

I was under the impression that Bray, Hunter, and Patterson left on their own. You mean Dooley forced them out, and left no backups?

I mean he didn't leave a lot of players after them that we know are talented enough to win with. If he couldn't see they were going pro and didn't recruit accordingly he is a bigger idiot than I thought. When you have great players leaving you need to recruit to replace them. Dooley did not do that. I have seen no one at receiver or qb that looks to be a future star. You could tell DR, TB, and JH would be stars when they stepped on the field as fr. What player can you say that about now?

I mean he didn't leave a lot of players after them that we know are talented enough to win with. If he couldn't see they were going pro and didn't recruit accordingly he is a bigger idiot than I thought. When you have great players leaving you need to recruit to replace them. Dooley did not do that. I have seen no one at receiver or qb that looks to be a future star. You could tell DR, TB, and JH would be stars when they stepped on the field as fr. What player can you say that about now?
Dooley recruited JH and DR, and was the coach when TB signed. Their backups have not gotten much of an opportunity to play. They will be fine. I think that you will find that Worley, Peterman, Dallas, Howard, Croom, Bowles, Carter, Meredith, and others will do well when they get some experience. The Qb and receiver sky isn't falling.

VN Store

Back