Better next year??

9-10 wins range again next year. We will be slightly off compared to this year. We will lose some good defensive players but it will be Shoop's second year at helm. He can install lot more schemes and make execution better.
On offense, we will miss Hurd and Kamara a lot (they will most probably both go) but Kelly has shown good running skills. With Fils-aime and Kelly we will have more than serviceable backs, Oline should only get better, all WRs are coming back and will be more experienced.
Our biggest loss will be Dobbs and his calm presence. His leadership has been valueable in coming back and winning a lot of games. He is also got great escapability I think whoever takes over at QB will be able to compensate somewhat with better passing skills and better Oline protection.
I keep us in 9-10 wins range as GA looks like headed into rebuilding mode and we play at home , same with LSU.
Alabama will be Alabama but how good Florida will be not sure. Also GTech is a wild card.

So between Alabama loss and one to two losses among LSU, FL, GA, Gtech, I can easily see us 10-2 or 9-3.

Now if JG takes off, JJ and Malone keep improving, Oline steps up and John Kelly and partner give us good runs, players like Warrior, Bituli, Sapp, Austin Smith show up on defense along with returning JRs and seniors, we can hope for 11-1 or 12-0 but thats too many variables.

Reactions: 3 people
Ok - well imagine how bad our defense would be this year without Barnett and Vereen...because that's what it is going to be next year.

Will be big losses, yes. But it is not quite like we are rebuilding next year. I guess that is my point....this year almost feels like a rebuilding year at this point because of all the injuries and the individuals who we are having to play even though they probably are not ready to play this year.

With that, next year (of course, depending upon injuries), we should be replacing fewer contributing starters than we have had to this year.

I am optimistic for next year. Not thinking NC, but that we should be able to at least maintain where we are now.

Reactions: 2 people
Sight your reasons?
Nearly the same OL that will be iimproved (esp the backups!)
Possibly a better passing QB, so that won't be a hinderance, and some decent backs and virtually rthe same WRs.
On defense yeah you lose stud players, but a still very good DL and Kirkland and Jumper back and most of the secondary.
This team is losing several KEY players but not the house.

We will lose a lot of talent. The QB situation is a complete unknown , which probably bodes poorly for us. And just because the OL is returning, we all know that's not the same as being better. They could be the same or worse based on what we saw this year when they were all returning and supposed to be so good.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm tired of "getting better." I'm ready to win and keep winning. I miss the days of expecting to be SEC champions instead of hoping.

GO BIG ORANGE!
Hate to be the bearer or bad news but since 1992, Tennesse has went to the SECCG, 5 times and lost 3 of them. So in 24 years we went 5 times and won twice. Please tell me what period of time you expected to win the SECCG so that I can fool myself into thinking the same thing.

Reactions: 7 people
Inexperienced QB, no Hurd, no Kamara, no JRM, no Sutton. No, we will not be better. That's sounding like a step back to me.

Hate to be the bearer or bad news but since 1992, Tennesse has went to the SECCG, 5 times and lost 3 of them. So in 24 years we went 5 times and won twice. Please tell me what period of time you expected to win the SECCG so that I can fool myself into thinking the same thing.

Just because we only went 5 times doesn't mean that the team didn't expect to seriously contend every year. How many times were we 1 Florida win away from playing in the SECCG?

Does anyone think we'll be better next year? ala 1998? JG comes in and plays QB, John Kelly at Rb??

We still have this year to finish. You ask about next year....next year. Right after NSD. When you know the names of those coming in, transferring out, opting for the draft, enrolling in barber school ect.

You asking this in October just shows you are giving up on this year. Are you another who questions if he jumped on the bandwagon too early?

If so, burn your Vols gear now, and pull your Michigan/ Florida State/ Alabama/ Texas stuff outta storage. We are gonna suck next year, so move along.

Reactions: 1 person
Recruiting is the utmost important thing this year. We have 3 competent QBs so Butch and company need to go after all the best defense and O-line players they can get. We have some now experienced underclassmen ready to step up next season. Wait til 17 to go after another QB. Build the line for now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And in regards to the op we will be good next year--going bowling if not the seccg.

We're gonna be so good next year. Errybody else gonna be peanut butter and jealous.

The world didn't start with SEC divisions. SEC championships ... these are those that were won. Expectations were higher even when 2nd.

Earlier were Southern championships

1938 SEC Robert Neyland 11-0 7-0
1939 SEC Robert Neyland 10-1 6-0
1940 SEC Robert Neyland 10-1 6-0
1946† SEC Robert Neyland 9-2 5-0
1951† SEC Robert Neyland 10-1 5-0
1956 SEC Bowden Wyatt 10-1 6-0
1967 SEC Doug Dickey 9-2 6-0
1969 SEC Doug Dickey 9-2 5-1
1985 SEC Johnny Majors 9-1-2 5-1
1989† SEC Johnny Majors 11-1 6-1
1990 SEC Johnny Majors 9-2-2 5-1-1
1997 SEC Phillip Fulmer 11-2 7-1
1998 SEC Phillip Fulmer 13-0 8-0

I don't see a huge step back if any at all...

Offensively we have to replace Dobbs and both RBs...that's it...everyone else is back...and I tend to believe the QB will be a better passer which will make the O more balanced...

Defensively we have to replace Barnett and that's huge...gotta hope Phiilips, Kongbo and Taylor can fill that void...we're already playing without JRM and Suttin and I personally believe Buchanan and Osborne will really benefit from the PT this year in Suttons absence...there's experience and talent everywhere on D next year...just need a few players to step up in their 2nd year...

One of the biggest things to me though when I look at my projected depth chart for next year is the talent, depth and experience that we will have...if what I project is right then we'll have 30 out of 44 players that were 4* or higher as recruits...we'll have he same numbers of juniors and seniors in the 2 deep...that kind of talent and experience is what really good to great teams are made up of

Reactions: 8 people
I think it's possible that we could improve next year, because of Butch and his loyalty to experience and upper classmen. I do believe we have more talented guys that could be difference makers that haven't gotten the game time,be it because of practice habits or upperclassmen in front of them. Next year I think it will be an all positions battle type of spring.

No question we'll take a step back. Could be a big one.
We lose one offensive linemen who started the first four games and that's it, lose zero receivers, lose two back but get Kelly back, a good-looking true freshman in Fils-Aime and a high 4-star/borderline 5-star back in Ty Chandler. Plus JG has a stronger arm and much quicker release than Dobbs.

Then on defense we get our entire current starting secondary back, Darrin Kirkland and all these linebackers who unexpectedly played a lot, and should have a starting defensive line of four 5-stars (Kongbo, Mckenzie, Tuttle, and Phillips). We'll be just fine.

Reactions: 5 people
Inexperienced QB, no Hurd, no Kamara, no JRM, no Sutton. No, we will not be better. That's sounding like a step back to me.
Kamara will be back IMO, we've basically played the bulk of the season without Cam or JRM. We'll miss Hurd for sure, but we could easily be better if our QB situation comes around IMO.

We lose one offensive linemen who started the first four games and that's it, lose zero receivers, lose two back but get Kelly back, a good-looking true freshman in Fils-Aime and a high 4-star/borderline 5-star back in Ty Chandler. Plus JG has a stronger arm and much quicker release than Dobbs.

Then on defense we get our entire current starting secondary back, Darrin Kirkland and all these linebackers who unexpectedly played a lot, and should have a starting defensive line of four 5-stars (Kongbo, Mckenzie, Tuttle, and Phillips). We'll be just fine.

Agreed. Find the source of the injuries, correct it, and be more aggressive with the play calling offensively. We'll be alright. With that being said, I'm not worried about next year yet.

VN Store

Back