Best way to handle telemarketers?

A friend of mine would automatically launch into character and claim he was on the verge suicide and needed someone to talk him out of it. Then as the telemarketer attempted, (some actually just hung up) he would give the most ridiculous/hilarious reasons for his fatal choice. He kept one guy going for nearly an hour.

I did something similar with an alarm company, it involved land mines, attack dogs, and a gun in each room of my house.

I'll credit the girl for her perseverance, she stuck with it long enough to actually ask me what would happen if someone wrestled my gun away and shot all the attack dogs with it. I said in that case I'd stab him, still no need for an alarm

Reactions: 1 person
Since they're just doing their job I give them the benefit of the doubt. I tell them I'm not interested. If they persist I unload a string of profanity on them. That usually does the trick.

Reactions: 1 person
I pretended to be on the toilet yelling and screaming about trying to take a dump. And then I'd tell "Do we have any toilet paper in this house?"

Reactions: 2 people
Off topic, but I used to work customer service, and whenever I call customer service I try to be the agent's best call of the day. You have no idea how bad their job sucks, and they deal with so many angry customers when it's not their fault. You can make a big difference if you are nice and appreciative, and a little bonus is they are often authorized to hand out cool ish, and they often will if you are nice. AT&T wireless agents can knock like $100 off your bill without asking a manager. The DirecTV guy will give you a loophole for free channels.

It pays to be nice.

Reactions: 4 people
Off topic, but I used to work customer service, and whenever I call customer service I try to be the agent's best call of the day. You have no idea how bad their job sucks, and they deal with so many angry customers when it's not their fault. You can make a big difference if you are nice and appreciative, and a little bonus is they are often authorized to hand out cool ish, and they often will if you are nice. AT&T wireless agents can knock like $100 off your bill without asking a manager. The DirecTV guy will give you a loophole for free channels.

It pays to be nice.

You're absolutely right! Pay it frwd. I am not referring to hard working people just doing their job in customer service, etc. The calls/txts I was targeting in this thread are the obviously dishonest scammers.
I could not agree more with you. I also try to be as polite and considerate as possible with the honest CS reps because they're just doing their job and deal with ppl all day that never consider that.
I had an almost exact instance to your's. I called DISH because my bill was a bit higher than i liked. So i called to discuss my options. i was very polite and appreciative with DISH and they literally asked me how much I would like to lower my monthly bill. I said a number and they agreed without hesitation. And i upgraded my service at the same time.
I think of it like this...
If I cant show them respect while they're at work, they have every right to disrespect me at my job.

I'm on there and I still get calls from "Rachel with Card Member services" all the time. Whenever I go to a rep it's generally some Indian voice and if I ask them to put me on their no call list they hang up before I finish asking. I think there is some loophole where the company is overseas but they route it through a US area code.

When I'm bored I string them along. They say they are calling from my credit card company then ask for my card #. I say "you're with my company so you tell me what it is" then we go round and and round until they hang up.

VN Store

Back