Best High School Player Seen

You play at Dacula??

Kenny and Frenchy were the two hardest hits I’ve ever taken. Both of them were worse than car wrecks.

I went to South Gwinnett. We had a kid named Michael Grant who was ELECTRIC before he went back to Stevenson. Ended up at Arky. Superstar player.
Yeah man, I played at Dacula. You went to South? dang small world

Reactions: Jeff Clark
That's a tough one. Can't put just one.
1) QB Nico Iamaleava, CA
1b) QB Chris Leak, NC
2 QB Bryce Young, CA
3 AP Pacman Jones, GA
4 WR AJ Green, SC
5 RB Demitrus Summers, SC
6 RB Stefon Woods , TN
7 DE John Henderson , TN
8) ATH Xavien Howard, TX
9) RB Shaka Hill, TN
10) RB Carl Stewart, TN
11) ATH Josh Bullock, TN
12 RB Chris Barclay, KY

I don't know man. I've seen Montario Hardesty too when he was at New Bern, NC but he's still didn't stand out like this other guys did when I saw them live.

I've lived in NC, FL, TX, CA, TN, MS, etc...
I've seen a lot of good football players and it's hard to remember them all at the moment of witnessing, how good they really were.

Champ Bailey back in the day - dude was a single man DB unit
Rex Grossman not long after moving to Bloomington area
Jay Cutler just because as a fan of the game had to go see what the fuss was about - they weren't wrong

Most recently, saw a LOT of Tayven Jackson play at Center Grove HS just south of Indy...kid has the tools to be something special.
Champ was a force on offense playing QB in HS

ATH Greg Ward, TX
ATH Randall Cobb , TN
ATH Eric Locke, TN
ATH Crezdon Butler, NC
ATH Justin Miller, KY
ATH Johnny White, NC

MOST of those guys made the NFL.
Except for Locke

Played against Rocky Clay from TN High in Bristol.....the first guy I can recall being able to literally see him change gears in mid stride. Wound up playing at South Carolina.

A few years later was able to see several games/seasons of Thomas Jones across the VA state line at the old Powell Valley HS. Several times I saw him run 70 to get 40....and I would catch myself afterwards with my mouth literally wide open in awe. Heck of a player, fun to watch in college and NFL as well.

1. Gerald Riggs destroyed everyone I ever saw him play against.
2. Michael Edminston (Sp) from Lincoln Co. He had two other dudes make the NFL and have good careers in the league on his HS team and he was better than both of them. He was an eraser. I still don’t understand how his post HS career never panned out
3. Carlos Dunlap. I got matched up against him at a camp. I stuffed him a few times in a row and got an offer on the spot. That was a fun day.

Played against Rocky Clay from TN High in Bristol.....the first guy I can recall being able to literally see him change gears in mid stride. Wound up playing at South Carolina.

A few years later was able to see several games/seasons of Thomas Jones across the VA state line at the old Powell Valley HS. Several times I saw him run 70 to get 40....and I would catch myself afterwards with my mouth literally wide open in awe. Heck of a player, fun to watch in college and NFL as well.
Awesome player was Jones! Barber brothers too

Reactions: VolDorado
I also saw Harrison Smith in HS and he made qb’s lives miserable. Any pass downfield was a risk. We played against Catholic three times and he was definitely great. We ran double wing and didn’t throw much, but he was really good on offense too.

I also saw Harrison Smith in HS and he made qb’s lives miserable. Any pass downfield was a risk. We played against Catholic three times and he was definitely great. We ran double wing and didn’t throw much, but he was really good on offense too.
I think Dennis Rogan was a more impactful player than him in HS.
It was fun to watch those two compete.

Here's 2 more names from the past. Mario Nolan was the next coming of Hersel Walker back when Bill King and Bob did the recruiting shows on 1510 AM. Not sure what ever happened to him or if he ever made into college.
Travis Cozart was a man amongst boys also if he could have just got into school, he probably would have made the big league. Only if when we were younger men, we would have let people pour wisdom into us and we would have listened.

My buddy always says if you're going to be dumb well you better be tough. Thank God I'm tough because I nailed the other part.

I saw Darrel Middleton and Tee Higgins play at Oak Ridge. Darrel played TE in high school.
I never got to see those two live.

But Shawn Summers, Shaun.Bohannon, and later on Corey Booker.

I think Dennis Rogan was a more impactful player than him in HS.
It was fun to watch those two compete.
I would agree with that. We scrimmaged both of them yearly. Rogan was a better player in HS but was a bit smaller and top speed slower. I thought DRO was quicker and more dangerous. Fulton had a good defensive end/old maybe at that time too. I can’t remember the name. He did not like our offense. We ran right at him.

Reactions: LittleVol
Who are the best High Football players you have watched play in person:

Al Wilson he was playing Safety and was just killing ball carriers. You could just see he was going to be special, speed and furious hits.

Dante Hicky (Spelling?) from Cleveland: saw him play several times and in the KY/TN all-star game. He was electric, played WR and returner but never made it to college because of ???. Best player I've seen in person.

Kelly Holcomb, Chad Henderson and a WR named Grogan on the Lincoln County team in the early 90's-time frame. Kelly would throw a 30-yard dart and you could hear hit the guys in the pads up in the stands. I was surprised Kelly didn't go to a bigger school than MTSU but he had an incredible career. I thought Grogan was the best player on the field, he was a big WR who would catch anything near him and I'm sorry I can't remember his first name, no disrespect intended. I don't think he played college ball anywhere and that was a shame because he was very talented.

Kenny Witherspoon (Spelling) RB I think Stradford High and went to Vandy. He was just smooth and had a Walter Payton type running style, not that he was Walter but just he made moves with no effort, just fun to watch.

I hope I got the names and schools correct. Just my opinion so who is yours?
Patrick Willis- Bruceton
Chad Clifton - Westview

Height for height and lb for lb i've got to go with Greg Flye from Franklin or Tito Lee from Brentwood Academy (who was called by his own teammates) the best player ever from Brentwood Academy

VN Store

Back