Best High School Player Seen

G-boro Vol

Who are the best High Football players you have watched play in person:

Al Wilson he was playing Safety and was just killing ball carriers. You could just see he was going to be special, speed and furious hits.

Dante Hicky (Spelling?) from Cleveland: saw him play several times and in the KY/TN all-star game. He was electric, played WR and returner but never made it to college because of ???. Best player I've seen in person.

Kelly Holcomb, Chad Henderson and a WR named Grogan on the Lincoln County team in the early 90's-time frame. Kelly would throw a 30-yard dart and you could hear hit the guys in the pads up in the stands. I was surprised Kelly didn't go to a bigger school than MTSU but he had an incredible career. I thought Grogan was the best player on the field, he was a big WR who would catch anything near him and I'm sorry I can't remember his first name, no disrespect intended. I don't think he played college ball anywhere and that was a shame because he was very talented.

Kenny Witherspoon (Spelling) RB I think Stradford High and went to Vandy. He was just smooth and had a Walter Payton type running style, not that he was Walter but just he made moves with no effort, just fun to watch.

I hope I got the names and schools correct. Just my opinion so who is yours?

Da'Rick Rogers
Alvin Kamara
Kenny and David Irons (Played with both of them)
Jeff Francoeur (played against him in the first round of the playoffs, the fastest WR I ever saw at that level)

Todd Helton- Knoxville Central
Rudy Stinson - Powell
Dante Hickey- Cleveland
Shawn Summers - Oak Ridge
Collins boys at Jeff. Co along with Spencer Riley
Eric Westmoreland - Marion County
Devrin Young - Bearden highlight reel each Friday
Shaun Bohannon- Oak Ridge

Last edited:
I saw Jahmyr Gibbs run for 300+ yard in a Dalton High School win over R.L. Osborne in 2019. Jahmyr Gibbs ran for 2,554 yards and 40 touchdowns during his Senior season with Dalton. I think He was the fastest,slickest running back that i've ever seen play high school football.R (78).jpg

Who are the best High Football players you have watched play in person:

Al Wilson he was playing Safety and was just killing ball carriers. You could just see he was going to be special, speed and furious hits.

I hope I got the names and schools correct. Just my opinion so who is yours?

My first catch as a freshman was against Jackson Central Merry. I 100% know Al played LB since I made a business decision once I saw him running at me....

Hmmmmmmmm. Lessee. uh, Kathleen Trumbo. Played DT for Corydon Central High School back in 1989.

Willie Gault, Griffin, GA (UT) (Fastest Man in GA 1979)
Fred White, Griffin, GA (UT)
Cane Berrong, Hartwell, GA (ND)
Ben/Jeff Leard, Hartwell, GA (AU)
Jae Thaxton, Hartwell, GA (Fl ST)
Jesse Tuggle, Griffin, GA (Ft Valley St)
Wayne Curtis, Griffin, GA (The OG Dual threat QB for Willie Gault. One of the great HS QB's that got looked over)
Randy Baldwin, Griffin, GA (JUCO & Ole Miss)
Stacy Driver, Griffin, GA (Clemson)
Jeff Jackson, Griffin, GA
Ben Talley, GRiffin, GA
Carey Griffin, Griffin, GA (GT)
Perry Wilson, Griffin, GA (Semi pro circuit in Ohio a good bit)
Ronnie Dennis, Griffin, GA (Fastest Man in GA 1983)
The Treadway Brothers (Baseball mostly) The 3 oldest all made the Bigs if only for a day. Jeff the most notable. I graduated with Wes (youngest) and he went to ECU on football/baseball ride and flamed out (no pun intended).
Freddie Gilbert, Griffin, GA (UGA and a few jail houses)
Mike Mack, Griffin, GA (UGA)
Ronnie Favors, GRiffin, GA (Garden City CC)
And yes, at some point I saw all these guys play in HS.

Hard to list all. In my day, my alma mater Griffin High School was pumping out football talent like a fire hose. There were so many that were killer players, and didn't get the chance to move up and on. There were quite a few that did get scholly's, but squandered them for various reasons, as it happens to many. With all of Valdosta's history, Griffin High School to this day is the only HS in GA that makes the national list of HS for number of pro players (20) that are GHS alumni (40th in country). Many of those players played for Max Dowis and Lloyd Bohannon. If you throw in pro players that passed thru GHS, but graduated elsewhere for some reason that list jumps to around 52. At one point the Falcons had 3 GHS alumni playing at same time. I am sad to report I was not one of those players, though I tried and was hopefull.

Dave Marler. Back in the early 70's, I lived in a little town called Forest, Mississippi (about 5000 people). Everybody knew everyone else. Dave was 3 years older than me and played all sports, quarterback on the high school team. One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, even sang next to me in our youth choir at church.
We moved back to Tennessee in 1974. Dave went to Mississippi State as a walkon kicker. As a senior, the coach needed a quarterback. One of the assistants pointed at Dave the kicker and said there's the best QB you've got. I'm going to link the articles rather than trying to explain it myself but Dave went on to be drafted by the Buffalo Bills then went on to play Canadian football.

The legend of NFL's QB whisperer Bruce Arians began at Miss. State

Reactions: tennrich1
Wayne Curtis, Griffin, GA (The OG Dual threat QB for Willie Gault. One of the great HS QB's that got looked over)
Ben Talley, GRiffin, GA
The Treadway Brothers (Baseball mostly) The 3 oldest all made the Bigs if only for a day. Jeff the most notable. I graduated with Wes (youngest) and he went to ECU on football/baseball ride and flamed out (no pun intended).

Hard to list all. In my day, my alma mater Griffin High School was pumping out football talent like a fire hose. There were so many that were killer players, and didn't get the chance to move up and on. There were quite a few that did get scholly's, but squandered them for various reasons, as it happens to many. With all of Valdosta's history, Griffin High School to this day is the only HS in GA that makes the national list of HS for number of pro players (20) that are GHS alumni (40th in country). Many of those players played for Max Dowis and Lloyd Bohannon. If you throw in pro players that passed thru GHS, but graduated elsewhere for some reason that list jumps to around 52. At one point the Falcons had 3 GHS alumni playing at same time. I am sad to report I was not one of those players, though I tried and was hopefull.

Dave Marler. Back in the early 70's, I lived in a little town called Forest, Mississippi (about 5000 people). Everybody knew everyone else. Dave was 3 years older than me and played all sports, quarterback on the high school team. One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, even sang next to me in our youth choir at church.
We moved back to Tennessee in 1974. Dave went to Mississippi State as a walkon kicker. As a senior, the coach needed a quarterback. One of the assistants pointed at Dave the kicker and said there's the best QB you've got. I'm going to link the articles rather than trying to explain it myself but Dave went on to be drafted by the Buffalo Bills then went on to play Canadian football.

The legend of NFL's QB whisperer Bruce Arians began at Miss. State

Ben Talley, GRiffin, GA

Did your Griffin team ever play Duluth when George Rogers played for them or Warner Robins when James Brooks played for them?

Reactions: ArdentVol

VN Store

Back