Best D-Line in the Country

FollowTheLeader

Coach Banks said that we might have one of the best D-line in the country and there are some in the media that might agree with him.

Coach Banks has a history of focusing on building a strong Dline and once he does, he's won conference championships.

His first DC job, he was a part of 2 MAC Championships.

Next job at Cincinnati, he took over the youngest defense in college football and in one year, turned it into the #21 most dominate defenses in college football. (See articles below)

At Cincinnati, in Banks second season, the defense was #1 in tfl, #2 in sacks, #6 in rush defense, #21 in scoring and #42 in total defense. (Stats look familiar....almost exactly like ours at Tennessee). Cincinnati won Big East Conference Championship. Banks was nominated for Broyles and was voted Rivals.com Big East Coordinator of the Year.

When Banks was at Illinois, the Vanderbilt of Big Ten, they were terrible on defense until they changed head coaches, who was a defensive coach, and though they didn't win, the defense improved dramatically. The defense in Banks last year, was #12 in 3rd down, from #88 previous year, #16 in 1st down, from #101, #16 tfl from #42, #16 passing yards allowed, #21 in pass efficiency D from #95 and #30 in total d from #109 previously.

Coach Gardner wasn't ready to agree with Coach Banks yet, but I think Coach Banks, as a DC that has a system that has worked in the past, may have a high level view of what pieces need to be in place and maybe Coach Banks sees it now.

Coach Heupel has praised the DLine alot.

I hope that this post ages well.......lol......but I'm gonna say........we might have the best DLine in the country.

Coach Banks said that we might have one of the best D-line in the country and there are some in the media that might agree with him.

Coach Banks has a history of focusing on building a strong Dline and once he does, he's won conference championships.

Next job at Cincinnati, he took over the youngest defense in college football and in one year, turned it into the #21 most dominate defenses in college football. (See articles below)

At Cincinnati, in Banks second season, the defense was #1 in tfl, #2 in sacks, #6 in rush defense, #21 in scoring and #42 in total defense. (Stats look familiar....almost exactly like ours at Tennessee). Cincinnati won Big East Conference Championship. Banks was nominated for Broyles and was voted Rivals.com Big East Coordinator of the Year.

When Banks was at Illinois, the Vanderbilt of Big Ten, they were terrible on defense until they changed head coaches, who was a defensive coach, and though they didn't win, the defense improved dramatically. The defense in Banks last year, was #12 in 3rd down, from #88 previous year, #16 in 1st down, from #101, #16 tfl from #42, #16 passing yards allowed, #21 in pass efficiency D from #95 and #30 in total d from #109 previously.

Coach Gardner wasn't ready to agree with Coach Banks yet, but I think Coach Banks, as a DC that has a system that has worked in the past, may have a high level view of what pieces need to be in place and maybe Coach Banks sees it now.

I hope that this post ages well.......lol......but I'm gonna say........we might have the best DLine in the country.
Illinois is not the Vanderbilt of the Big Ten. That's actually a pretty absurd comparison.

I've not had fear about our d-line. They've done a phenomenal job in the last couple of years. I've been worried about that secondary. Let's hope that when they flushed the entire secondary and replace them with new guys, we have a talent increase that actually shows up on the field.

We will see.

Reactions: Remy
This group is gonna be fun to watch. Fun to listen to as well if they ever let Tyre near a mic again in the future. 😂

This is direct bulletin board material for the locker room. Motivation for the secondary...get on our level kinda stuff.

Think the frequent substitutions we do on the d-line will help us immensely if we make it to the playoffs.
You made me think that it is possible we will see some opponents adopting our fast offense to keep us from substituting. Not all Not all Not all. But, some.

Pearce is great. Do we have a dominant DT?
Deep on the interior DL big O, Eason, Big E, Omar NL 4 dogs if the Stanford transfer is a beast and Tyree west and Jenkins can slide inside on occasions it will get very scary for other teams all year… I think Joseph’s on the edge is primed for a breakout year with all the attention being on Pearce he will get 1 on 1 all season.

Deep on the interior DL big O, Eason, Big E, Omar NL 4 dogs if the Stanford transfer is a beast and Tyree west and Jenkins can slide inside on occasions it will get very scary for other teams all year… I think Joseph’s on the edge is primed for a breakout year with all the attention being on Pearce he will get 1 on 1 all season.
Well-stated. And there are others as well, Hobbs, D.Bailey, C.Herring, Bradley, Wethersby, Robinson, Heard, and new kid Ross.

We have come so far from where we were a few years ago, having to play the same few guys all the time.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back