Becky Hammon Florida Finalist

A group of guys that are thrown together for about 3 weeks playing games....I think that says a lot

Not really, it's not about winning a championship..... it's about getting new draft picks and young players use to the NBA and also trying to find undrafted free agents to invite to camp..... it's the equivalent of pre season football.

So Hammon is taking a step down?

In my opinion, yes. I'm amazed she's considering it. If she stayed coaching in the NBA, even as an assistant, she would be a real trailblazer. She got more press for her role with the Spurs then she did for her entire playing career.

Florida must be willing to throw money at her, but I'm really curious if she would actually take the job.

I would guess they have figured it out.... summer league is just an opportunity to make a roster which the majority of the summer league does not do..... it is fun to watch though but it really means little if someone can coach or not.

So when Pop says she can coach....that doesn't mean anything? She will turn Florida around and make them like Dawn has done at USC a national team to contend with

I would guess they have figured it out.... summer league is just an opportunity to make a roster which the majority of the summer league does not do..... it is fun to watch though but it really means little if someone can coach or not.

See it both ways: however, but it's worth the risk and chances are that she will be an above average coach based on her resume. What has Florida got to lose.

I thought when they hired Carolyn Peck that was as good as they could do. I mean, how many national championship women's basketball coaches are there?

However, it turned out....she wanted a check and phoned it in.

I would pass out from shock if this happened.

If Fla. hires Hammon as coach, I expect her to turn Fla. into the Connecticutt of the SEC as soon as she has 2 recruiting classes. She can flat out coach and develop players. Would be great if she doesn't get the job and Tenn pounced on it, but it will not happen because Currie will wait at least a year to make any changes to any coaching staff. In my opinion, Warlick needs big staff shakeup. Time for Lockwood to move on. This is a stale staff.

Reactions: 5 people
That ship will sail if Fl does get her. Sonja Hogg (sp?) had Leon Barmore. Holly needs a Leon then needs to step back a little and empower.

So when Pop says she can coach....that doesn't mean anything? She will turn Florida around and make them like Dawn has done at USC a national team to contend with

She is a very good hire and her experience with the spurs is invaluable... I was just saying summer league is nothing more than exhibition games and not representative of someone's coaching abilities

She will make Florida a powerhouse and it will be just another game where we get out coached.

Wow I thought AD would pluck his buddy Vic S from Ms State

I'm thinking Vic is waiting for a true blue blood of WBB to open up...why leave MSU for anything less. I'm thinking the program recruits itself and has been to the "Summitt" and has a fan base that is eager to return. Who knows, I could be wrong...just sayin'. :whistling:

Last edited:
UT could get her, but will miss out like they did with Will Wade

VFL should not mean a job for life. Pro Holly fans and Administration are not really getting it, Vandy, Florida and other schools are getting serious about WBB. We keep falling back in the pack and some people do not get it. Genno is at the top of the mountain and you can't get there with a coach that is not a climber. This Florida move tells me, we better move or get left behind.

Reactions: 1 person
UT could get her, but will miss out like they did with Will Wade

I don't understand the love Vol fans have for all things UTC. LSU made a stretch to hire Will Wade. At this point he isn't any better than any of the dozens of other mid major guys who have stepped up to the big time and failed. Time will tell on Wade but he isn't the splash hire most in La wanted.

Will this hire completely "flip the script" for UF much like the Spurrier hire did back in the day?

Cut and pasted from elsewhere:

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Becky Hammon’s impact as the first female assistant coach was “even bigger” than when he hired her before the 2014 season, but repeated she was hired for her coaching skills in his first public comments since the former WNBA All-Star coached the Spurs to a Summer League title earlier this week.

From KNBR (via ESPN):

I don’t even look at it as, well, she’s the first female this and that and the other. She’s a coach, and she’s good at it. I think some people thought this was some kind of gimmick or we were just trying to be cool. I’m glad she’s there. I respect her opinion, I enjoy the give-and-take with her, and when she went to the summer league, that stuff’s about development. … That was her purpose at summer league, and she did a great job trying to make guys play the way we wanted them to play.

Popovich said he hired Hammon for her “opinions and solid notions” about basketball, which is he observed when she was sitting in on coaching meetings during the 2013 season. Hammon, in an interview with USA TODAY Sports’ Sam Amick said that in one of her early conversations with Popovich on a plane back from the Olympics he asked her what she would tell him if she was on his staff and he asked her a question. She responded: “The truth.”

Again, from KNBR:

“Obviously, she was a great player. As a point guard, she’s a leader, she’s fiery, she’s got intelligence, and our guys just respected the heck out of her, so she’s coaching with us, she’s running drills. That’s why we made her a full-time coach and gave her the opportunity to coach at summer league.”

Reactions: 2 people
P.S. I would be over the moon with joy if Tennessee could hire Becky Hammon. Obviously won't happen.

Let's see how she does her first 3 years at UF if she does in fact take the job. She may be a fabulous coach, but that doesn't guarantee that she'll be a great recruiter at the collegiate level. Don't be so quick to crown someone before they prove their worth.

Good for Florida; bad for Tennessee. As our rivals continue to upgrade their staffs and improve their programs, it makes it harder for UT to maintain footing in a sport the LVs once dominated. SEC schools are really stepping up their game.

Let's see how she does her first 3 years at UF if she does in fact take the job. She may be a fabulous coach, but that doesn't guarantee that she'll be a great recruiter at the collegiate level. Don't be so quick to crown someone before they prove their worth.

Florida is known as such a party school that I imagine a heckuva lot of parents have serious reservations about giving their daughters their blessings to be on their own in Gainesville. Only an hour from a beach, it would be scary for many parents to imagine how tempting a distraction that would be for their children.

The best players should just come to Tennessee. No beaches! lol

Thank you well said!!! People think just because she worked under Coach Pop she's automatically just going to be super great. She has potential but the collegiate level is a little tougher in my opinion. You have to teach more and you just can't buy the talent like you do in the PROS. I'm actually surprised she's not waiting for a NBA gig to become available.

She has potential but the collegiate level is a little tougher in my opinion. You have to teach more and you just can't buy the talent like you do in the PROS. I'm actually surprised she's not waiting for a NBA gig to become available.

Apparently she has been able to teach grown men who are already professional athletes and they listen to her, respect her knowledge, and benefit from it.

Seems to me that if she has something to teach grown men who already play professionally, that she might have something to bring to young women in college. But that's just me.

Florida is known as such a party school that I imagine a heckuva lot of parents have serious reservations about giving their daughters their blessings to be on their own in Gainesville. Only an hour from a beach, it would be scary for many parents to imagine how tempting a distraction that would be for their children.

The best players should just come to Tennessee. No beaches! lol

It's also a top 25 public university that ranks only behind Vanderbilt in the SEC. Work hard play hard must not be such a bad thing.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back