Baylor Title IX lawsuit by sexual assault victim

Man some bashing the Vols saying we handled our situations poorly while Baylor did it correctly.

SMH

Paula Lavigne ‏@pinepaula
Statement from the US Dept. of Education on Baylor sexual assault report, actions. @USEDGOV

CjiopNdW0AAIDtz.jpg

Paula Lavigne ‏@pinepaula
Statement from the US Dept. of Education on Baylor sexual assault report, actions. @USEDGOV

View attachment 111345

The thing that bothers me is that firing someone doesn't solve the underlying issue like the media and the government would have folks to believe.

All these schools can do is handle the situation correctly after it has occurred. This doesn't prevent situations from happening.

The problem is much greater than the cultures at any one university - the problem is the culture in the U.S. period. At some point we have to require that individuals take responsibility for their actions as well as accountability for situations they may allow themselves to get into that could lead to things they will regret after the fact happening.

The actions at Baylor really solve nothing IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
The thing that bothers me is that firing someone doesn't solve the underlying issue like the media and the government would have folks to believe.

All these schools can do is handle the situation correctly after it has occurred. This doesn't prevent situations from happening.

The problem is much greater than the cultures at any one university - the problem is the culture in the U.S. period. At some point we have to require that individuals take responsibility for their actions as well as accountability for situations they may allow themselves to get into that could lead to things they will regret after the fact happening.

The actions at Baylor really solve nothing IMO.
You are correct:

Here?s What?s Missing From the Stats on Campus Rape | Mother Jones

Analysis of data from 25 universities shows that statistics collected under the Jeanne Clery Act of 1990 often encompass only a fraction of the rape reports that schools field each year. For example, 271 Ohio State University students said in the AAU survey that they reported a rape in the 2014-15 academic year, but the school's Clery Act filings said only 22 students reported a rape during the 2014 calendar year. At Michigan State University, the numbers were 256 to 15; at the University of Michigan, 256 to 21.

Here's the full dataset comparing the self-reported AAU data with the number of reported rapes that turned up in schools' Clery Act filings:

Rape Reporting, by University
* Indicates that Clery Act data includes both rape and forcible fondling.

Institution People who say they filed rape reports (AAU survey, 2014-15) Official rape reports (Clery Act data, 2014)

Ohio State University 271 22
Michigan State University 256 15
University of Michigan 256 21
University of Arizona* 224 36
University of Florida 214 7
University of Southern California 183 18
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities* 173 24
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 165 26
Texas A&M 162 9
University of Texas at Austin 157 48
University of Missouri-Columbia 156 18
University of Pittsburgh 140 21
University of Wisconsin, Madison 133 22
Columbia University 104 19
University of Virginia 98 44
University of Oregon 97 13
University of Pennsylvania 94 9
Purdue University 90 9
Cornell University* 77 27
Iowa State* 77 17
Harvard University 58 33
Washington University in St. Louis* 49 22
Yale University 46 13
Dartmouth College 28 48
Brown University* 21 44

Reactions: 2 people
I knew BUBear would show up with BS sanctimony about what's happening at other schools. Somehow, if other schools don't deal well with sexual assault, then it's totally okay that Baylor was abysmal at handing theirs.

Reactions: 4 people
I knew BUBear would show up with BS sanctimony about what's happening at other schools. Somehow, if other schools don't deal well with sexual assault, then it's totally okay that Baylor was abysmal at handing theirs.

Oh please! The response was to my post and to those folks that think the firings at Baylor will suddenly make Baylor the safest place in the world for the students there. All it means is that all incidents that are reported will go through the proper channels, which is in a nutshell what didn't happen at Baylor.

There will still be lawsuits. There will still be complaints that the university, place of employment, police departments, (insert any organization that has money to pay out) etc. did not do enough.

Oh please! The response was to my post and to those folks that think the firings at Baylor will suddenly make Baylor the safest place in the world for the students there. All it means is that all incidents that are reported will go through the proper channels, which is in a nutshell what didn't happen at Baylor.

There will still be lawsuits. There will still be complaints that the university, place of employment, police departments, (insert any organization that has money to pay out) etc. did not do enough.

Actually, Baylor will be a safer place without Briles, Starr, et al in charge. Had anyone done the decent and proper thing, the Elliott kid would have been busted the first time one of his rapes was reported and he wouldn't have been able to commit others. Had they done the decent and proper thing, Ukwuachu would never have been on campus with the opportunity to assault a second woman.

Does this "solve" the entire issue of campus rape? Of course not. But it's a heck of a good start.

Reactions: 1 person
In schools that have 25000 students and half being men that's 12500and at least 500 are sexual predators.the problem is all over the united states.not just at certain schools.and of course a number of them is going to play sports.because they are use to getting what they want and will take it.

In schools that have 25000 students and half being men that's 12500and at least 500 are sexual predators.the problem is all over the united states.not just at certain schools.and of course a number of them is going to play sports.because they are use to getting what they want and will take it.

So 1 in every 25 men are sexual predators? Where do you get this number? On the surface I just don't believe it and would like to know how you arrived on that number.

So 1 in every 25 men are sexual predators? Where do you get this number? On the surface I just don't believe it and would like to know how you arrived on that number.

The definition of a sexual predator is changed to inflate the numbers and feed an agenda.
There are some bad people in college but its nothing like some of these people describe.

How far in your ass did you reach for that number?

Reactions: 3 people
My daughter is going into her senior year of high school this coming fall. She is very excited about going to UTK. We live in a very small town and she is a only child. To be honest with you, as a dad.. This stuff scares the hell out of me.

My daughter is going into her senior year of high school this coming fall. She is very excited about going to UTK. We live in a very small town and she is a only child. To be honest with you, as a dad.. This stuff scares the hell out of me.

Tell her to use her brain, don't put herself in bad situations, know whom she befriends and especially whom she dates. Be aware. Until she really knows someone, watch where they go...ie stay in neutral/public places. Know her geographic area..when I was at UT, you basically did not cross Cumberland, and especially above White Ave, and roam around after dark. Or in New Orleans stay on the French Qtr side of Canal Street.

Is all of that fair, right, just? No. She should be able to go anywhere at any time. It's a shame we can't just trust people. But be smart and be responsible for yourself. UT is a great place with a lot of great people, but acknowledge that does not apply to everyone there.

And those guidelines apply anywhere you go...you would not believe where we wound up one time in Chicago on a business trip because we decided to go out for a walk after dinner! Alls' well that ends well but.....wow! And I have a really scary story about a hotel parking lot in Columbia, SC; a place I knew well and had been to numerous times. That was one time doing everything "right" paid off.

You'll worry no matter what. Tell her frequent calls home are much appreciated:). "Be good, be safe, have fun". That is what I always told my daughter and her friends...and to follow it in that order!

I just graduated from UT. It's a really safe place. You aren't sending her into some rapist hotbed.
In four years I heard about one person having an issue. A girl went to a party and thought the drinks had been roofied. Granted, no one else at the event had an issue and it was probably a result of her drinking a lot.

Tell her to use her brain, don't put herself in bad situations, know whom she befriends and especially whom she dates. Be aware. Until she really knows someone, watch where they go...ie stay in neutral/public places. Know her geographic area..when I was at UT, you basically did not cross Cumberland, and especially above White Ave, and roam around after dark. Or in New Orleans stay on the French Qtr side of Canal Street.

Is all of that fair, right, just? No. She should be able to go anywhere at any time. It's a shame we can't just trust people. But be smart and be responsible for yourself. UT is a great place with a lot of great people, but acknowledge that does not apply to everyone there.

And those guidelines apply anywhere you go...you would not believe where we wound up one time in Chicago on a business trip because we decided to go out for a walk after dinner! Alls' well that ends well but.....wow! And I have a really scary story about a hotel parking lot in Columbia, SC; a place I knew well and had been to numerous times. That was one time doing everything "right" paid off.

You'll worry no matter what. Tell her frequent calls home are much appreciated:). "Be good, be safe, have fun". That is what I always told my daughter and her friends...and to follow it in that order!

Yes use common sense and good judgement. This is true of every city the size of Knoxville and on every campus in the U.S.

Many of the incidents that you read about in these lawsuits involve parties, beer and those involved being somewhere in the middle of the night where they should not have been. There is good fun and there is the "fun" that can easily lead to a person getting into a situation they cannot handle. For any student, female or male, understanding that and avoiding the latter type of fun will ensure their years at school are the best of times.

VN Store

Back