Baylor Hires Temple Coach Matt Rhule

You make this sound pretty good actually.
lol, true

But there are so many threads started by reasonably rational members that go south at a high rate of speed. You're just sort of stuck with them, I guess.

In my old age, I'm getting better at ignoring problem threads, but I still sometimes I get sucked in. :p

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Can afford to wait for the right job. I can't see Auburn here. Unless he wants the challenge of Bama and GA annually. Wisconsin or Nebraska much easier rebuilds, IMO.

I don't believe that Nebraska or Wisconsin are easier rebuilds. Both schools have lower expectations for Sure, but Auburn is much easier to recruit to. The barn has won a title and played for another while Saban has been in Tuscaloosa.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I don't believe that Nebraska or Wisconsin are easier rebuilds. Both schools have lower expectations for Sure, but Auburn is much easier to recruit to. The barn has won a title and played for another while Saban has been in Tuscaloosa.
Yep. The whole "Auburn has to share the state with Alabama and recruit against/play UGA every year" thing is overblown.

They have not only done what you've mentioned but also had a Heisman winner, won the SEC twice and played for it a third time, and beaten Alabama 5 times, which is more than any other school. They've actually been more successful against Alabama than UGA over that timeframe. I would kill for the Vols to have had those accolades since 2007.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Yep. The whole "Auburn has to share the state with Alabama and recruit against/play UGA every year" thing is overblown.

They have not only done what you've mentioned but also had a Heisman winner, won the SEC twice and played for it a third time, and beaten Alabama 5 times, which is more than any other school. I would kill for the Vols to have had those accolades since 2007.

They should have kept Gus or hired a coach better than Gus. The Harsin hire was out of left field imo.

They should have kept Gus or hired a coach better than Gus. The Harsin hire was out of left field imo.
IMO Gus was fired and Harsin was hired exclusively because of booster dysfunction. Supposedly Auburn's admin fired Gus in a failed attempt to placate their boosters (mostly Jimmy Rane). Auburn's admin wanted to keep Gus. The boosters wanted to fire Gus and hire Kevin Steele. The "compromise" was that the admin would fire Gus, but that they would run the show on the ensuing coaching search and not involve boosters at all.

It also would not shock me if Gus's gigantic, underserved contract extension after the 2017 season was done to spite boosters as well. The boosters had wanted Gus gone for years, so at the first chance they got they offered him this huge contract that would be difficult to get out of.

I agree that Harsin was never a great fit for Auburn, and perhaps even their admin thought that as well, but he was hired because he was sure to be the admin's "guy" and not the booster's guy, because he kind of came out of nowhere to land the job. Their struggles ultimately all roll up to the dysfunctional environment in their admin + boosters.

It will be interesting to see if Rhule lands on a college sideline in 2023.
Rhule

Some Texas fans are worried about Oklahoma firing Venables and hiring Rhule. The biggest problem for OU is that they are broke and probably couldn't afford to do it.

As far as Rhule goes, if I had to grade the following post I would give this guy at least a 95. Rhule loves 2,3 a 4 sport athletes and normally don't make the 4* & 5* rankings.

Rhule's an above average coach. His specialty is finding guys with the right measurables and developing them by coaching fundamentals. He looks for length, speed, and absence of arrests. He likes the three star guys that are happy just to get an offer, cause he knows they will put forth maximum effort to prove something.

He wins the games he should win. You never had those "what the ****?" games like I got so frustrated with the Longhorns about ever since Mack retired while on the job, where they'd have a team they should slaughter, and then go out looking like they've got a Pepsi bottle stuck between their butt cheeks.

His quarterback management, both at Baylor and Carolina, is goofy. IMHO, QB management killed him at Carolina. At Baylor, he lucked out with Charlie Brewer, but ran off Zach Smith, a four star out of Grandview, for transfer Anu Solomon, who was also a four star, but tore up his shoulder in Arizona, and didn't have enough arm strength left to pop a balloon with a dart.

His recruiting is pretty bad, in terms of getting the top rated guys, and he's stuck in the JoePa mythos. Not the Jerry Sandusky stuff, but the plain uniforms, lunch bucket, blue collar attitude. Not sure how he'll fare in the NIL era, but his recruiting classes would be in the 30-40 ranking if he was at Ohio State or Bowling Green.

TL;DR Good coach, not elite, can take you to a top 20, probably not to the promised land.

They have not only done what you've mentioned but also had a Heisman winner, won the SEC twice and played for it a third time, and beaten Alabama 5 times, which is more than any other school. They've actually been more successful against Alabama than UGA over that timeframe. I would kill for the Vols to have had those accolades since 2007.
Road to Conf Championship easier in B1G W. Any thing can happen from there. The can get lucky and maybe tOSU has injured QB. Boils down to one game. Barn has to play Bama, Ga, LSU, TAMU every year. They one a title with Cam. Went to BCS in Gus's first year, when RPO spread option was novelty in SEC.

IMO Gus was fired and Harsin was hired exclusively because of booster dysfunction. Supposedly Auburn's admin fired Gus in a failed attempt to placate their boosters (mostly Jimmy Rane). Auburn's admin wanted to keep Gus. The boosters wanted to fire Gus and hire Kevin Steele. The "compromise" was that the admin would fire Gus, but that they would run the show on the ensuing coaching search and not involve boosters at all.

It also would not shock me if Gus's gigantic, underserved contract extension after the 2017 season was done to spite boosters as well. The boosters had wanted Gus gone for years, so at the first chance they got they offered him this huge contract that would be difficult to get out of.

I agree that Harsin was never a great fit for Auburn, and perhaps even their admin thought that as well, but he was hired because he was sure to be the admin's "guy" and not the booster's guy, because he kind of came out of nowhere to land the job. Their struggles ultimately all roll up to the dysfunctional environment in their admin + boosters.
Firing Gus and "upgrading" just blows my mind. It is weird to fire a Coach of the Year and NC Game coach in this era for seasons that weren't bad. Boosters burned the Barn.

not to mention Harsin was the upgrade.?!.

VN Store

Back