Basketball Practice 10/5/2017 (Videos)

If ESPN called Rick up and asked to do an All-access Tennessee, I'm sure he'd jump at the opportunity. There just isn't quite the demand for that like there is for Kentucky. That isn't CRB's fault. Could he do more to promote the program? Sure he could. He could buy pizzas for the students and jump on tables in the cafeterias. He could paint his chest orange and sit in the student section at a Lady Vols game with a headband on. That is some people's personality, and with some people it would just feel forced. Barnes strikes me as the latter. So long as he wins games, he can sit on his couch all day long chewing Red Man in his underwear.

Yeah but he’s not winning games yet.

It wouldn’t hurt him to do a little more promoting. I have friends who have been long time fans of hoops. They ask things like “has practice started yet?” or “do we have anybody besides the French guy coming in?”

I knew nothing about this rocky top tipoff thing. Some of this is because the program is in a valley right now but some of it is because we aren’t out promoting the product.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe at this point of his career, He doesn't have any desire to promote.

Or maybe he thinks if he puts a really good product on the floor promotion will pretty much take care of itself. At least he would have some solid performance to point to in whatever promotion is done.

Folks need to get over Bruce and the way he did things, he's long gone and ain't comin' back.

I think that Barnes considers his job is to put the best possible product on the court. It's somebody else's job to promote.

I also think that Barnes considers every minute spent promoting or kissing donor's asses or chasing long shot recruits is time away from what he does best... teach his players.

Again it’s not like I’m asking for him to dance around Knoxville with his shirt off. Just wish our hoops program was more visible.

Again it’s not like I’m asking for him to dance around Knoxville with his shirt off. Just wish our hoops program was more visible.

More wins and getting to tournament will give program momentum and should result in positive feedback loop on visibility (and recruiting)

I believe they scrimmage Davidson today. Maybe someone can post some results later. Its a closed scrimmage but a good little preseason test.

I wish Rick was more progressive in this respect.

Remember All Access Kentucky? I literally saw a camera follow Ryan Harrow around while he was deciding to leave school and go home. I watched Devin Booker meet 1-on-1 with Cal about how the plan was for Devin to be the best 6th man in the country on the best team in the country.

Our program is the opposite.

They cut out the part about how long it would take for the money to be wired obviously, but other than that I remember it being straight forward. :)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back