Baseball Recruiting Class Ranked No. 20

I would take DS over TC anyday but the assistant coaches weren't comparable a year ago. holiday is now the head coach at Oklahoma state and Johnson. I am not sold on our guys at all.

Then you know very little about the assistants. Bergeron is a huge part of what Serrano does, could be a head coach at a big program if he wanted to. And Mosiello was a AA manager just 2 years ago. Asaro, I don't know much about his style and reputation.

Then you know very little about the assistants. Bergeron is a huge part of what Serrano does, could be a head coach at a big program if he wanted to. And Mosiello was a AA manager just 2 years ago. Asaro, I don't know much about his style and reputation.

You might want to look at the credentials of Vandy's guys from last year to get the context. One is now a head coach in the Big 12 and the other the pitching coordinator for the entire Cubs organization. More than solid staff without a doubt

You might want to look at the credentials of Vandy's guys from last year to get the context. One is now a head coach in the Big 12 and the other the pitching coordinator for the entire Cubs organization. More than solid staff without a doubt

My only point was you said you weren't sold on our guys at all.

Nah, I like Serrano's track record. I think they will do big things at UT and be on Vandy's level soon.

If anyone wld take the time to review SD's staff, they would see every one of them has been to the CWS. And as far as the "latest change", has to do with derek johnson, their pitching coach. So since DS is UT's pitching coach, you're saying you'd take Johnson over DS. to each is own, but i'll take the guy who has gone to the cws 7 times with 2 different programs.

it's all a matter of opinion. GO VOLS!

If anyone wld take the time to review SD's staff, they would see every one of them has been to the CWS. And as far as the "latest change", has to do with derek johnson, their pitching coach. So since DS is UT's pitching coach, you're saying you'd take Johnson over DS. to each is own, but i'll take the guy who has gone to the cws 7 times with 2 different programs.

it's all a matter of opinion. GO VOLS!

Do you think that the responsibilities of being a head coach take away from your ability to be a great pitching coach??

I do very much so. Regardless Johnson was the best pitching mind in college baseball IMO but that doesn't mean he is a better coach than DS just better pitching mind.

Last edited:
THe instate reputation of the vols just took another hit with Colton Harris being cut from the roster. Harris was a high profile kid that many of the influencial high school coaches in the state where close to. This is yet another black eye for the Vols program in state. Bad decision for the staff IMO!

THe instate reputation of the vols just took another hit with Colton Harris being cut from the roster. Harris was a high profile kid that many of the influencial high school coaches in the state where close to. This is yet another black eye for the Vols program in state. Bad decision for the staff IMO!

Any details on why he was cut?

so they should keep kids that they dont think will help the team win just to please HS coaches? Yeah thats a recipe for success.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
so they should keep kids that they dont think will help the team win just to please HS coaches? Yeah thats a recipe for success.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

They should do a better job evaluating so this doesn't happen. This kid was a bigtime sunbelt classic(states very best players join to make this team) kid for two years. Guess who didn't bother to attend this event????

Make no mistake a large number of high school coaches aren't going to help this staff at all and this makes things much worse!!

Where it hurts is in making it harder to sign in-state players with just a Hope Scholarship and no baseball money. Last year, Serrano made a point of commenting that all his in-state signees were eligible for Hope Scholarships and talked about how important this funding source is for landing in-state players.

Any player who signs for these terms isn't an automatic "counter" against the 35-man roster limit and has no guarantee of making the team.

Coaches can sell this deal only if players are confident they will be given a full year to prove themselves. When a well-known player like Harris, who apparently turned down scholarship offers from other schools, doesn't make the team, it has to give second thoughts to other in-state players who might be considering committing as preferred walk-ons.

Where it hurts is in making it harder to sign in-state players with just a Hope Scholarship and no baseball money. Last year, Serrano made a point of commenting that all his in-state signees were eligible for Hope Scholarships and talked about how important this funding source is for landing in-state players.

Any player who signs for these terms isn't an automatic "counter" against the 35-man roster limit and has no guarantee of making the team.

Coaches can sell this deal only if players are confident they will be given a full year to prove themselves. When a well-known player like Harris, who apparently turned down scholarship offers from other schools, doesn't make the team, it has to give second thoughts to other in-state players who might be considering committing as preferred walk-ons.

Good post. The bad part is this kid may very well end up being the most high profile kid out there for the high school coaches to learn how things are going to work in Knoxville. His hs coach has coached that sunbelt team for years and every hs coach in the state wants their kids on that team. Now to expect any kid that ends up on that team to not hear about this isn't reality. Bad business!!

Does anyone know why Colton Harris is no longer a member of the program? Before you automatically attack the coach and/or start witht the sky is falling comments, maybe you should investigate this a little further.

Does anyone know why Colton Harris is no longer a member of the program? Before you automatically attack the coach and/or start witht the sky is falling comments, maybe you should investigate this a little further.

The 100per reason is irrelevant in the context this is being discussed. The only thing that matters is what the HS coaches and future recruits will take from this. That's the part that hurts the staff.

Last edited:
The 100per reason is irrelevant in the context this is being discussed. The only thing that matters is what the HS coaches and future recruits will take from this. That's the part that hurts the staff.

There has been no mention of the reason of why Harris is no longer on the roster. Maybe, he left on his own accord, maybe he didn't make grades, maybe he consistently broke team rules,etc.

Just seems like some are jumping to some pretty big conclusions without having any facts to back up their assumptions.

Serrano is a proven winner and has taken two schools ot the CWS. UT has the right man in charge of the program.

There has been no mention of the reason of why Harris is no longer on the roster. Maybe, he left on his own accord, maybe he didn't make grades, maybe he consistently broke team rules,etc.

Just seems like some are jumping to some pretty big conclusions without having any facts to back up their assumptions.

Serrano is a proven winner and has taken two schools ot the CWS. UT has the right man in charge of the program.

He was cut. He was eligible to play. Not sure on behavior(I was told this wasn't an issue)

Last edited:

Let me make sure I understand. It's not okay to talk about how other recruits will view this situation, but it's totally okay for you to throw out insinuations that Harris was either a bad student or a conduct problem? And you're pointing fingers at Bruin for not having any facts?

As far as I can see, nobody here attacked the coach, and everyone here hopes he succeeds. But it is fair game to point out that cutting a well known in-state player before his freshman spring could affect the ability of the coaches to sign preferred walk-ons who have other options.

Wait a minute. I never made any insinuations about Colton. I just said he could be off the roster for any number of reasons. The first one mentioned was "maybe he left on his own accord." Harris is a good guy and should be a great college pitcher.

I'm just saying the "sky is falling" mentality on this is a little premature without having ANY FACTS to act this way. Guys are taken off a roster for many reasons and it's not always the coach's fault or decision.

Also, not sure why you are so defensive about someone just saying, wait and get the facts before you panic.

Bruin, thanks for the info. You apparently have some contacts. Heard any additional facts?

Last edited:
Bruin, thanks for the info. You apparently have some contacts. Heard any additional facts?

My contacts are HS coaches that are familiar with the situation.

Here is what I would bet serious money on these 2 things being truth.

1)He was cut and didn't leave on his own

2)He was eligible when considering grades. He would have been fully able to play this spring.

Did he break any team rules that led to this? There has been no hint of that but certainly the people I have talked to wouldn't know that for sure. I don't believe that was an issue.

That's all I have been told.

VN Store

Back