Baseball Expansion

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
Now that the Rays have secured staying in Tampa/St. Pete and all indications are the A's are headed to Vegas it shouldn't be long before MLB announces they are expanding to 32 teams. The commissioner has said many times that the MLB would add two more markets as soon as the uncertainty with the Rays & A's were finalized. Nashville by most rumors seem like a very likely place for one of the new teams. Other cities include Charlotte, Montreal, Portland and I've even heard Indy which I don't see happening.....

Reactions: knoxvol52
Now that the Rays have secured staying in Tampa/St. Pete and all indications are the A's are headed to Vegas it shouldn't be long before MLB announces they are expanding to 32 teams. The commissioner has said many times that the MLB would add two more markets as soon as the uncertainty with the Rays & A's were finalized. Nashville by most rumors seem like a very likely place for one of the new teams. Other cities include Charlotte, Montreal, Portland and I've even heard Indy which I don't see happening.....
My position is Canada needs the Expos back....Toronto has a really good fan base and my memory says back in early 80's Expos were a good team...Tim Rained, Andre Dawson. Gary Carter. Steve Rogers, Larry Walker. Vlad Guerrero...and let's not forget Pedro Martinez rise began in Montreal...as far as Nashville goes probably best option for 2 expansion team...

My position is Canada needs the Expos back....Toronto has a really good fan base and my memory says back in early 80's Expos were a good team...Tim Rained, Andre Dawson. Gary Carter. Steve Rogers, Larry Walker. Vlad Guerrero...and let's not forget Pedro Martinez rise began in Montreal...as far as Nashville goes probably best option for 2 expansion team...
funny. Captain America playing for the Canadians.

I think Nashville and Charlotte should be looked at simply because of the geography.

If you look at a map of teams, the southeast is surprisingly bare. It's why the Braves have had such a huge fan base. They have no competition for fans.

Giving Nashville and Charlotte teams would at least give a couple of teams to this area and would help the nationwide footprint of MLB.

Hoping the Nashville Stars happen. I read where they may even give Oakland back a team. But I think Charlotte and Nashville make the most sense. Already professional sports teams there, big growing areas.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I think that Austin will get a franchise. 10th largest US city and they do not have an NFL, NBA, or MLB team.

I’m surprised New Orleans isn’t on the list. They have the fan support.

Portland was a leader until the last few years with new leadership in the city.

Salt Lake and Nashville right now would be the favorites and have put real effort into bringing in a franchise. Id be shocked if Nashville doesn’t get a team. The second one is up for grabs.

Portland was a leader until the last few years with new leadership in the city.

Salt Lake and Nashville right now would be the favorites and have put real effort into bringing in a franchise. Id be shocked if Nashville doesn’t get a team. The second one is up for grabs.
As a Braves fan, how would you feel towards a Nashville team? Especially since you'll be closer to it?

As a Braves fan, how would you feel towards a Nashville team? Especially since you'll be closer to it?

It wouldn’t affect me any because I don’t really cheer for Tennessee pro teams. It’s interesting because East Tennessee has a significant Braves contingent and you’re talking 30 years of success that is rooted in the fanbase. In Middle Tennessee it’s St. Louis. Would people turn to the Nashville team? I’m not sure. But it’s a thriving, growing city so I’m sure they’ll fill the ballpark

It wouldn’t affect me any because I don’t really cheer for Tennessee pro teams. It’s interesting because East Tennessee has a significant Braves contingent and you’re talking 30 years of success that is rooted in the fanbase. In Middle Tennessee it’s St. Louis. Would people turn to the Nashville team? I’m not sure. But it’s a thriving, growing city so I’m sure they’ll fill the ballpark
Oh, I thought you were in West TN. Maybe I got confused.

I would like to go to games at the ballpark, and for them to do well I guess, but I'd never think of them like I do the Braves. And I can't imagine many Braves fans in Tennessee, except maybe those who live in/close to Nashville, would drop the Braves for them.

Hmm...maybe KC to the AL West,
Tampa Bay Houston Texas and the new team to the AL South.

I was thinking Cubs-St Louis-Milwaukee-Colorado for the new NL Central but the Cubs would throw a fit like they did last time.

So let's see...
How about Mets-Wash-Phi-Pit for the NL East,
Cincy-Cubs-Milw-StL for the Central
Dodgers-SF-SD-Ariz for the West
Colo-Atl-Mia-new team for the South

Hmm...maybe KC to the AL West,
Tampa Bay Houston Texas and the new team to the AL South.

I was thinking Cubs-St Louis-Milwaukee-Colorado for the new NL Central but the Cubs would throw a fit like they did last time.

So let's see...
How about Mets-Wash-Phi-Pit for the NL East,
Cincy-Cubs-Milw-StL for the Central
Dodgers-SF-SD-Ariz for the West
Colo-Atl-Mia-new team for the South

I don’t know if baseball would do it but it make a lot of sense to swap Tampa and Colorado

NL East- NY Mets/Philadelpha/Pittsburgh/Washington
NL Central- CH Cubs/Cincinnati/Milwaukee/St. Louis
NL South- Atlanta/Miami/Nashville/Tampa
NL West- Arizona/LA Dodgers/San Diego/San Francisco

AL East- Baltimore/Boston/NY Yankees/Toronto
AL Central- CH White Sox/Cleveland/Detroit/Minnesota
AL South- Colorado/Houston/Kansas City/Texas
AL West- LA Angles/Las Vegas/Salt Lake/Seattle

Reactions: Coach_Z
The Astros and Rangers will lose their ****. Not happening
Dallas and Houston each have 3 (NFL, NBA, and MLB) major PTO sports franchises but they’ll get to stop Austin from having just one? I think the capital of Texas can deal with those two places losing their ****.

I don’t know if baseball would do it but it make a lot of sense to swap Tampa and Colorado

There's the precedent of the Brewers and the Astros swapping leagues. It might work.

Dallas and Houston each have 3 (NFL, NBA, and MLB) major PTO sports franchises but they’ll get to stop Austin from having just one? I think the capital of Texas can deal with those two places losing their ****.

Yes they will. Texas and Houston both have very well established fanbase and rights deal Despite Austin’s population, it’s not a good place for MLB location for a myriad of reasons. Baseball would much rather expand to places that don’t have two in state teams already

Reactions: TBrown
For me it'd be like the Titans. I was an established Redskins fan already.

I'm already a Yankees fan. I'd root for them (like I do the Titans), but they wouldn't be my favorite.

I’d be willing to bet people would turn to the Nashville team. The reason I say that is because it happened with the Titans, it’s happened with the Predators and Grizzlies, Nashville is even getting good MLS crowds. I was one of obviously many who dropped my Cowboys allegiance immediately when Tennessee got an NFL team.

I think Nashville would have a hard time building a fan base in the NL with the Braves, Cards, and Reds all established in the area.

VN Store

Back