Barrette Salle (bleacher report)...

Not buying it. Most people are basing their predictions on a bowl game against an opponent that would have finished behind Kentucky and Vandy in the SEC East.

The one good thing about the bowl game is that for the first time you could see that the team was totally buying in to what Butch is selling.

Some people are so dumb. No, the outside media is not hyping us because of a bowl win. If our team was filled with rs juniors and seniors, then maybe you'd have a point. The reason most folks are high on Tennessee is because we won a bowl game DESPITE starting the most true freshmen in the country. While playing in the toughest conference in america. And playing one of the hardest schedules in America. Not many teams schedule someone like Oklahoma out of conference and have to play Alabama every year as a cross-divisional matchup.

People are high on Tennessee because those true freshmen are now seasoned sophomores. Add another stellar recruiting class and the emergence of a potential superstar in Joshua Dobbs, and its easy to see why there is so much hype.

Reactions: 3 people
Not buying it. Most people are basing their predictions on a bowl game against an opponent that would have finished behind Kentucky and Vandy in the SEC East.

The one good thing about the bowl game is that for the first time you could see that the team was totally buying in to what Butch is selling.

You should stick to what you know, and cut down on the SEC homerism. Iowa is *much* better than Vandy, and better than Kentucky. They are actually a solid team.

They lost to a great Wisconsin team by 2, took Nebraska into double overtime and lost by 3, and absolutely eviscerated a solid/okay Northwestern team.

Wisconsin beat Auburn, Nebraska played a very close bowl game with USC, played Michigan State close, and beat Miami by 10. And Northwestern was good enough to beat Penn State, beat Wisconsin, and beat Notre Dame.

Iowa also put three players in the NFL, with a 1st, 3rd, and 4th round draft pick (one being 5th overall).

Reactions: 6 people
Iowa did not have the skill players to compete in the SEC. They would have finished last in the SEC East. Vandy and Kentucky would have ran past them on the field.

Reactions: 1 person
Some people are so dumb. No, the outside media is not hyping us because of a bowl win. If our team was filled with rs juniors and seniors, then maybe you'd have a point. The reason most folks are high on Tennessee is because we won a bowl game DESPITE starting the most true freshmen in the country. While playing in the toughest conference in america. And playing one of the hardest schedules in America. Not many teams schedule someone like Oklahoma out of conference and have to play Alabama every year as a cross-divisional matchup.

People are high on Tennessee because those true freshmen are now seasoned sophomores. Add another stellar recruiting class and the emergence of a potential superstar in Joshua Dobbs, and its easy to see why there is so much hype.

This reporter said we would go 11-1. We still have a coach that has not shown that he can beat Florida, Georgia, Alabama, or even Missouri. I hope he can, but until I see better game day decisions, I just don't see it.

This reporter said we would go 11-1. We still have a coach that has not shown that he can beat Florida, Georgia, Alabama, or even Missouri. I hope he can, but until I see better game day decisions, I just don't see it.

Hee Haww...

Jalen Hurd is now reported at over 240 pounds........ uh oh

Wonder if that's a good thing. Read where Lawson and Butch wanted him playing closer to 230 this year. He'll likely be a beast either way IMHO.

Last edited:
It took awhile. Not so long ago he had a ho hum attitude about this Tennessee football team, but Sallee's finally turned the corner in joining in on the Big Orange train. Rather than just hearing the hype, he's researched the pile of reasons for all the optimism about this program. What's curious about those doubting the Vols this year is the group who keep thinking an SEC championship and run at the NC is so certainly at least a year away. History tells us that a lot of young teams have won the NC, and let's not kid ourselves in thinking this bunch isn't sickly loaded with talent and lots and lots of swagger. Butch knows that his coy comments about youth and inexperience can be seen as chump bait for those who grasp how deceptively deep the Vols can be if (HUGE if) the injury bug doesn't bite in the wrong places or at the wrong times. I think, with the debacle in Norman still on their minds, the chip on the guys' shoulders will be too much for the Sooners, along with a workable OL and too much defensive pressure. Gator tears will comprise some of that dank water the Vols will drain out of the swamp. That streak is over. Arky is too run-reliant for such a relentless group of block busting hard tacklers they'll face in a rabid Neyland. The dawgs, minus a veteran qb and reliant on a running back who, although he's big and fast, won't pour it on in the 4th quarter against an always fresh DL. They'll most likely limp out of K-town, beaten up after a hard fought loss. UGA will cave from the same problem Arky will have had in the Vols' house. Bama will be brutal and relentless for all four quarters...as always, but not unbeatable unless they can get lucky again with a new qb and if they can cover deep better than last year, and there's no one like those Coopers who haunted our DBs in '14. It should be a very interesting third Saturday in October. The rest of the way only Mizzou has a legitimate shot at derailing the Vols' rocket ride to Atlanta. Aside from the injury bug "if", the improvement-of-the-OL "if" and the will the WRs-be-all-they-can-be "if" comprise if or if not Barrett Sallee's prediction is correct. Face it. There's an abundance of possibilities with team 119 and we just don't know what'll transpire in the years to come. Grab the ring while it's still within reach. Can you see it?

Holy shift!

Iowa did not have the skill players to compete in the SEC. They would have finished last in the SEC East. Vandy and Kentucky would have ran past them on the field.

I get the feeling the only Vandy and Iowa games you watched are the ones where they played UT...

Reactions: 2 people
It took awhile. Not so long ago he had a ho hum attitude about this Tennessee football team, but Sallee's finally turned the corner in joining in on the Big Orange train. Rather than just hearing the hype, he's researched the pile of reasons for all the optimism about this program.

What's curious about those doubting the Vols this year is the group who keep thinking an SEC championship and run at the NC is so certainly at least a year away. History tells us that a lot of young teams have won the NC, and let's not kid ourselves in thinking this bunch isn't sickly loaded with talent and lots and lots of swagger. Butch knows that his coy comments about youth and inexperience can be seen as chump bait for those who grasp how deceptively deep the Vols can be if (HUGE if) the injury bug doesn't bite in the wrong places or at the wrong times.

I think, with the debacle in Norman still on their minds, the chip on the guys' shoulders will be too much for the Sooners, along with a workable OL and too much defensive pressure.

Gator tears will comprise some of that dank water the Vols will drain out of the swamp. That streak is over.

Arky is too run-reliant for such a relentless group of block busting hard tacklers they'll face in a rabid Neyland.

The dawgs, minus a veteran qb and reliant on a running back who, although he's big and fast, won't pour it on in the 4th quarter against an always fresh DL. They'll most likely limp out of K-town, beaten up after a hard fought loss.

UGA will cave from the same problem Arky will have had in the Vols' house. Bama will be brutal and relentless for all four quarters...as always, but not unbeatable unless they can get lucky again with a new qb and if they can cover deep better than last year, and there's no one like those Coopers (except for Pharoh Cooper) who haunted our DBs in '14. It should be a very interesting third Saturday in October.

The rest of the way only Mizzou has a legitimate shot at derailing the Vols' rocket ride to Atlanta.

Aside from the injury bug "if", the improvement-of-the-OL "if" and the will the WRs-be-all-they-can-be "if" comprise if or if not Barrett Sallee's prediction is correct. Face it. There's an abundance of possibilities with team 119 and we just don't know what'll transpire in the years to come. Grab the ring while it's still within reach. Can you see it?

:air_kiss:

Hoptown with a clue???....about anything??? Not likely
"Agreed, KB, but we need to go easy on poor ol' Hop. He's just got issues with complete sentences...unless they're issued by a judge.:birgits_giggle:

Love the optimism sameolvol. Hope you are right. I agree that it <i>could</i> happen. There's certainly enough talent to make a fairy-tale run. Still a lot of question marks though, especially on that OL. And, as I've said before, I refuse to believe we are back where we need to be until we can beat Florida.
I'm sure you'd agree, old friend, that optimism sure beats its opposite alternative. By looking at the matchups and the chips being entirely on orange colored shoulder pads, I'm being just as realistic as optimistic in figuring by the evening of September 26th, TNinOR is going to be wearing a big orange smile, along with the rest of us. Have faith, brother.

Better game time decisions - ugh. Butch is a coach not a magician. Starting this year Butch has the talent to compete.

Vanderbilt wouldn't have run past a team full of blind preschoolers last year.

VN Store

Back