Barnhart: Vols on right track says Dooley

The fact you're comparing MSU to Tennessee makes me wonder how much you know about Tennessee football. Also, what Saban did at Toledo is head and shoulders better than anything Dooley did at La Tech.

It doesn't take "nads" to take the only HC offer you had or take a substantial pay raise with a 5 million dollar golden parachute either. It takes a functioning brain.

The fact that you don't understand the results Saban put up at MSU, nor the state of the UT program Dooley inherited, plus the strength of conference play he is forced to compete in, indicates that your responses are emotional.

For a coach to go into the rebuild at UT, knowing the expectations for the program and the state of the program, takes a lot of courage for a person wanting a long coaching career. Sure, he makes millions doing it. But abject failure will most likely result in this being his last head coaching position. It took guts and self-belief.

Even by your comparison, Nick Saban is a proven coach that struggled mightily for four years at MSU. i don't see how that proves that CDD is not possibly a good coach.

He will either fail and be fired, or be the answer. Now is not the time to make that determination. If he proves to be the savior of our program, I can look him in the eye when I thank him. You can either hide in the crowd or look at your shoes when you shake his hand.

I don't really care one way or the other.

Either way, we are both UT fans, so we at least have that in common. :hi:

Finally, the year before Saban, Toledo was a 4 point loss to Bowling Green from being Mac champs. BG scored with 20 seconds left to win the game.

Sounds like Saban re-built that program!

I'm sold. Saban sucks.

I don't think that is the point in question. The very point is that Saban is a proven commodity. he is a brilliant coach. That brilliant coach sucked it up for four years trying to rebuild MSU. The comparison is to say that a proven commodity proves that rebuilds are tough. It is too soon to make judgments about our current coach.

Shalom, punk! :)

No, you're saying he didn't improve Toledo, even though he won 4 more games and split the MAC title.

He is making the point that the "rebuild" he did at Toledo was nothing in scale compared to the job CDD inherited, thus is "a bad illustration". The 4-year struggle at MSU and results he posted there was a much better comparison to CDD's task, with very similar results. Again-- by a proven coach.

He is making the point that the "rebuild" he did at Toledo was nothing in scale compared to the job CDD inherited, thus is "a bad illustration". The 4-year struggle at MSU and results he posted there was a much better comparison to CDD's task, with very similar results. Again-- by a proven coach.

My point isn't to compare anything really. Saban is a great coach but what he did at Toledo isn't really anything to brag about.

We should be much better. Will that translate into meaniful wins in the SEC ie. S. Carolina, Georgia, Florida? That I'm not convinced, but I really hope the team can as a bare minimum win one of those games. As been stated countless times firing CDD we start back at square one. A new coach would inherit a better roster but trying to convince a proven winner to come to UT would be difficult amid a big buyout and the last 5 years of mostly miserable football. CDD has missed out on several recruits who flipped late and that will make his task even harder.

I don't think that is the point in question. The very point is that Saban is a proven commodity. he is a brilliant coach. That brilliant coach sucked it up for four years trying to rebuild MSU. The comparison is to say that a proven commodity proves that rebuilds are tough. It is too soon to make judgments about our current coach.

Shalom, punk! :)

Punk? That implies youth.... as in a boy. I will give my normal response to being referred to as a boy (I have used this one before, so if you've seen it, just roll with it please).

You ever seen a boy with enough hair on his butt to weave an Indian blanket? Didn't think so.....

Last edited:
We should be much better. Will that translate into meaniful wins in the SEC ie. S. Carolina, Georgia, Florida? That I'm not convinced, but I really hope the team can as a bare minimum win one of those games. As been stated countless times firing CDD we start back at square one. A new coach would inherit a better roster but trying to convince a proven winner to come to UT would be difficult amid a big buyout and the last 5 years of mostly miserable football. CDD has missed out on several recruits who flipped late and that will make his task even harder.

Those recruits would have helped with depth but I don't think they will drasticaly affect Dooleys task either way.

I like the guy, but how gutsy could it possibly be to leave La Tech for an SEC job and a monster pay increase?

Depends on whether you want a long career or are trying out for an ESPN job. If he fails at UT, Dooley may never get another HC shot. If he had stayed at LT and improved results (which was pretty certain)... he likely would have gotten a shot at a better job than UT was when he took it.

It might turn out to be a very bad career move but it was a gutsy risk.

His willingness to take a homerun swing is one of the things I really like about Dooley. If he survives, it will make UT unpredictable and alot of fun to watch.

Reactions: 1 person
I can maybe slightly see what youre saying, but on the whole I still fail to see the heroic component to making a no brainer career move.

I can maybe slightly see what youre saying, but on the whole I still fail to see the heroic component to making a no brainer career move.

If La Tech (and don't laugh) was rolling up the charts to becoming a great program (or the highest point they could reach) and it was obvious his door would be knocked on over the next couple of years by elite programs trying to make a big hire I might could buy the point to an extent.

Even at that, he might not would have gotten a better overall option if he wanted to coach against the best.

Your the one who's looking childish at this point.

Yeah, because it takes an adult like you to know the difference between "your" and "you're".....

You need to remove this:

th_P1000962.jpg

from your:

th_donkey.jpg

and get a sense of humor.

19965398.jpg

Last edited:
Punk? That implies youth.... as in a boy. I will give my normal response to being referred to as a boy (I have used this one before, so if you've seen it, just roll with it please).

You ever seen a boy with enough hair on his butt to weave an Indian blanket? Didn't think so.....

Gross me out once, shame on you. Twice, and it was intentional. You're just a mean, mean person Jerry Seinfeld.

I think the best thing i took from the article is the fact our new facilities are gonna be tops in the SEC and the nation.

The recruits are gonna love love love it! GO VOLS!!!

I can't wait to hear "It's football time in TENNESSEE" for the first time in a couple years! This is the best team Dooley has had in his head coaching career. As for the rebuild he did at la tech. Well in his last year there he played a very tough schedule and lost some very close games to some top 10 teams. He lost to BOISE ST AND LSU BOTH BY NO MORE THAN 10PTS... ALSO THEY LOST TO UTAH ST BY 2 WITH A BAD BREAK AT THE END. IDAHO BY 1 WITH A MISSED FG. FRESNO BY 2. So to say he is a bad coach I think is way off. That would have been 2 winning seasons in a row but bad breaks are apart of football. To play top 10 teams the way they did is really good. Then the next year he had a lot of kids graduate and some key injurys but had a good class come in both yrs. They where a young team. He went to Tennessee the year his kids would have been fresh and soph mostly. The year he left with a new coach and young players they had a losing record. The year after he left they had a winning year with his players and are going to have a good yr this year. Those are facts!!!!! So I think he turned that program from nothing to something and is on his way to do the same here. GBO!

VN Store

Back