Barnes is about to be 3-0 vs Pearl

Bball has a staff of coaches, not a singe coach. Don't you think its possible that if CBP's strength is recruiting and enthusiasm that he can surround himself with strong X and O's assistants? Likewise, can't CRB employee assistants who are stronger on the recruiting side?

Like yourself I've been very impressed with the level of improvement of the players since CRB arrived. If CRB doesn't sign some quality bigs over 6'-4", then there's a ceiling against the top tier competition that he will never consistently get past.

CBP better find some solid assistants as it was clear to me he had the more "talented" group on the floor but they sure didn't appear to be playing as a cohesive unit.

Pearl didn't do much for Forbes and Shay when things went south at UT. I doubt that high level assistants will ever want to hitch their careers to Pearl's sleigh. It's all about Bruce. And Junior.

Agree. I'm thankful for Pearl putting UT basketball back on the map, but that curb-stomping that Michigan doled out in his last game was a telling end to his tenure at UT.
Ehh I hear what you're saying but they had practically annouced to fire Pearl just days before that game.

I dug up the Barnes v Pearl history.

0-1 Dec 2005: TN 95-78 in Austin. Texas was ranked #6.

0-2 Dec 2006: TN 111-105 (OT) in Knoxville. Neither team was ranked.

1-2 Nov 2007: TX 97-78 in Newark, NJ. TN was ranked #7, TX was #15. One of only 5 losses by TN in 2007-08. That was a crushing defeat for Pearl and TN. Had TN won that game they would have been 17-0 going to Rupp on Jan 22, 2008. Good chance that TN would have had the #1 ranking in just Pearl's 3rd year at TN.

1-3 TN lost at Auburn last year.

2-3 TN best Auburn in Knoxville last year.

3-3 TN beat Auburn in the SECT last year.

4-3 TN beat Auburn last night.

Barnes is 4-1 versus Pearl since Pearl's 2nd season at TN.

Yea, homework was inaccurate. Still Barnes is clearly better. Winning with less talent.

Ehh I hear what you're saying but they had practically annouced to fire Pearl just days before that game.

This. Maybe we lose anyway, but I don't think we would have gotten destroyed like that had Hamilton not publicly pretty much said Pearl was gone. I know there are disagreements about how much blame Hamilton gets for all the mess, but that is one thing I definitely fault him for. There's no way he should have said what he did to the press.

I think if you look at Auburn you'll see where we would be if Pearl ran a clean program. That's where his recruiting and enthusiasm has gotten them. We've got a real X's and O's coach now and I can't wait to see how far he can get us.

Tennessee would still be a tourney team every year with Pearl. He'd still have a much better coaching staff around him than he does at Auburn. Ntm UT is a way better program than AU

Tennessee would still be a tourney team every year with Pearl. He'd still have a much better coaching staff around him than he does at Auburn. Ntm UT is a way better program than AU

I agree but would it be on the up and up? That's what I was commenting on.

Yea, homework was inaccurate. Still Barnes is clearly better. Winning with less talent.

The Pearl Magic from '06-'10 looks like it's gone but let's not forget that he used to regularly beat much more talented teams than his including one coached by Rick Barnes... I was there in '06 before Christmas and it's the best game I've ever attended. Texas had Kevin Durant and DJ Augustin and we beat them in OT 111-105. Durant had 26 but was upstaged by Lofton who hit 7 three point shots and had 35 points and 11 rebounds. I miss Chris. :cray:

Reactions: 2 people
The Pearl Magic from '06-'10 looks like it's gone but let's not forget that he used to regularly beat much more talented teams than his including one coached by Rick Barnes... I was there in '06 before Christmas and it's the best game I've ever attended. Texas had Kevin Durant and DJ Augustin and we beat them in OT 111-105. Durant had 26 but was upstaged by Lofton who hit 7 three point shots and had 35 points and 11 rebounds. I miss Chris. :cray:

That game was awesome.

Reactions: 2 people
There's never been a question as to if Barnes can coach in the regular season. He's posted consistently successful results over his career.

The question comes in as to if he'll ever be able to get over the hump in post season play. His teams in Texas would often fall far short of what was expected of them in the tournament.

Either way, Barnes' job here was to steady the ship and take us out of being a national embarrassment and he's already done that. Anything more accomplished between now and his retirement is just icing on the cake.

Guy is a good coach and we're lucky to have him given how big of a **** show our basketball program was when we went after him.

There's never been a question as to if Barnes can coach in the regular season. He's posted consistently successful results over his career.

The question comes in as to if he'll ever be able to get over the hump in post season play. His teams in Texas would often fall far short of what was expected of them in the tournament.

Either way, Barnes' job here was to steady the ship and take us out of being a national embarrassment and he's already done that. Anything more accomplished between now and his retirement is just icing on the cake.

Guy is a good coach and we're lucky to have him given how big of a **** show our basketball program was when we went after him.

Let's not go overboard now. Sure the Tyndall hire was a fiasco but we were just one year removed from the Sweet 16.

Let's not go overboard now. Sure the Tyndall hire was a fiasco but we were just one year removed from the Sweet 16.

And ran off the coach who got us there, who took over after one coach was fired because of a scandal with the NCAA and then replaced by a coach who was fired because of a scandal with the NCAA. We were pretty much a dumpster fire.

Reactions: 1 person

I'd say his description of our program's reputation was fairly accurate at the time of Barnes' hiring.

Nationally speaking, instead of Cuonzo's last team sneaking into the tournament and winning 3 games being the biggest news of the season, it was his "us against the world (aka: Tennessee fans)" mantra and surprising departure that became the headline story.

I'd say his description of our program's reputation was fairly accurate at the time of Barnes' hiring.

Nationally speaking, instead of Cuonzo's last team sneaking into the tournament and winning 3 games being the biggest news of the season, it was his "us against the world (aka: Tennessee fans)" mantra and surprising departure that became the headline story.

Yahtzee. Cuonzo's butt was hurt because some people actually had the audacity to question his average coaching skills at best. He was the polar opposite of Pearl. No one would question that. However, when it came to in-game coaching skills, he was lacking and he still is. He can recruit as many 4-5 stars as he wants. He better hope the talent can bail him out because his coaching rarely will.

The petition was nothing but a joke to begin with. If any reporter had half of a brain, they could've researched some of the names. I went to Vandymania and they were bragging at the time about how many names they had created and signed the petition. Yet, that never got mentioned. People want to believe what bullsh*t they want to believe. That petition was a joke and people were too damn stupid to realize it.

Yahtzee. Cuonzo's butt was hurt because some people actually had the audacity to question his average coaching skills at best. He was the polar opposite of Pearl. No one would question that. However, when it came to in-game coaching skills, he was lacking and he still is. He can recruit as many 4-5 stars as he wants. He better hope the talent can bail him out because his coaching rarely will.

The petition was nothing but a joke to begin with. If any reporter had half of a brain, they could've researched some of the names. I went to Vandymania and they were bragging at the time about how many names they had created and signed the petition. Yet, that never got mentioned. People want to believe what bullsh*t they want to believe. That petition was a joke and people were too damn stupid to realize it.

Yet I don't remember you or any other person on this forum claim it was a joke. Didn't it gather a quarter million sigs? Yeah, your "joke" narrative is very false.

Reactions: 5 people

Problem was, the media took it very seriously and played the racist card every chance they got.

Reactions: 3 people
Yet I don't remember you or any other person on this forum claim it was a joke. Didn't it gather a quarter million sigs? Yeah, your "joke" narrative is very false.

The petition might have been at least part a joke, but the sentiment behind it was anything but. #BBB was a very real thing.

Reactions: 1 person
Just tired of the divisive politics talk. I come here to talk about anything but.

VN Store

Back