Barnes calling out Dalton?

I am not blaming Knetch, but in many of our losses he scored a lot of points”

Kentucky – 40

South Carolina – 31

Mississippi State – 28

North Carolina – 37

The rest of the team shouldn’t rely on him to do all the scoring. When we beat Kentucky last month, Knetch had 16, but the scoring was spread out. We are better when everyone contributes.
The flip side of that is the rest of the team wasn't getting it done so Knecht had to take control. You can't deal in absolutes in most cases.

They weren’t calling fouls much last night and UK was blocking seemingly everything down low, especially early. I understand why we got a little gunshy in the paint. Still need to stay aggressive though.
You are spot on About the lack of calls. DK tries to use a little fineness sometimes around the basket and he fails to get the calls instead of going hard into basket and forcing refs to make the call.

Since you can’t get charge, no reason to try to avoid contact If they aren’t calling lower body on defense. He has phenomenal body control but if refs are not going to give the other teams the foul when he is using body control then he must force more contact and that was what KY was getting away with, almost every time they blocked him they we’re making lower body contact.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What can you do? We shot for the most part 18.2% in the first half and actually increased that when Aidoo got the put back at the end of the half to get us to 26%.
I feel we were a bit emotionally spent from the gauntlet we had been through and the senior day and just didn’t have a good day.
KY played good and could not miss and seemed to basically just outplay us.
With SV, it’s a mystery as to why his offense is so off and JJJ has been somewhat inconsistent, but both bring a lot to the team, but not so much yesterday

Good players get their own points. Great players get others players points.
DK has to recognize when he's getting doubled, immediately pass into the threat, which gives us an advantage. That's how teams are covering him. He has to get better on that recognition instead of dribbling out which gives the team time to reset.
When everyone else is either passing up shots or bricking everything, DK really had no other choice IMO.

Tennessee, as a whole, shoots way too many 3's at times. Shot 40 against Bama and 36 yesterday. Zeigler, himself, has shot a combined 25 three pointers in those two games. I'm not complaining about officiating, but if Tennessee, specifically Knecht, doesn't get a favorable whistle on drives, then they settle for iso jumpers. I'm pretty sure Kentucky was in the bonus by the second media timeout in both halves yesterday and Tennessee just refused to drive and get to the line.
If you are shooting bricks from 15 to 18 feet, why NOT attempt 3‘s instead? I mean we were missing EVERYTHING the first 15 minutes

Reactions: davethevol
They weren’t calling fouls much last night and UK was blocking seemingly everything down low, especially early. I understand why we got a little gunshy in the paint. Still need to stay aggressive though.
Half their blocks were clear fouls that weren’t called, unfortunately. If they call just one, along with Reeves basketball where he stepped out of bounds, we very likely win last night. We did enough to win, but the refs called the game like they thought we were in Rupp arena. Calipari left the coaches box 13 times (Barnes 0) and only one technical. Should’ve been tossed, by the rules. 1 warning, then it’s a tech. He should’ve had two before halftime.

The flip side of that is the rest of the team wasn't getting it done so Knecht had to take control. You can't deal in absolutes in most cases.
That was the point I was making. Most of the games we lost DK scored a bunch of points because he wasnt getting any help. I think the guys have had a great season and hopefully we can play our way back into a number one seed in the SEC Tournament.

Kentuckys defense altered a lot shots and was probably a reason players weren’t taking “easy” shots. I did notice players feeding Dalton more intentionally in the second half.

Reactions: davethevol
Half their blocks were clear fouls that weren’t called, unfortunately. If they call just one, along with Reeves basketball where he stepped out of bounds, we very likely win last night. We did enough to win, but the refs called the game like they thought we were in Rupp arena. Calipari left the coaches box 13 times (Barnes 0) and only one technical. Should’ve been tossed, by the rules. 1 warning, then it’s a tech. He should’ve had two before halftime.

I saw where Terrence Oglesby was one of the officials. If he is the same one from Cleveland ( played at Clemscum), and despises TN. In years past he was very vocal about it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I saw where Terrence Oglesby was one of the officials. If he is the same one from Cleveland ( played at Clemscum), and despises TN. In years past he was very vocal about it.
I’ve seen worse reffing, but it did seem like it affected the game in the first half. If the Vols make their free throws it’s a different game.

Good players get their own points. Great players get others players points.
DK has to recognize when he's getting doubled, immediately pass into the threat, which gives us an advantage. That's how teams are covering him. He has to get better on that recognition instead of dribbling out which gives the team time to reset.

Pass to who? Vescovi? James? Neither are good options lately.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
Some of you folks need to take a look at the box score of the Feb 20th game between Connecticut and Creighton. The clear #1 team in the country got blown out by Creighton.

Creighton shot 14-28 from 3 (UK shoots 15-29 last night)
Connecticut’s starters shot terribly, especially those guys in a supporting role.

It happens. It happens to the best team in college basketball. It’s not unique to Tennessee.
Agree.

And Uconn will lose in March if they play poorly, and their opponent gets hot. Such is life in the dance as every possession counts. Hopefully TN won’t have a repeat performance until next season.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Pass to who? Vescovi? James? Neither are good options lately.
Point taken.
I meant more than you now have 3 to guard 4. Doesn't necessarily mean those 2 are going to take the shots-could be it works itself for a open layup. The main point being - just like when blitzed in football-pass into the blitz,the void,and find the mismatch

We had guys playing hot potato in the first half with open looks. They'd pass out or drive for worse shots. Santi passed up a 4 foot floater on a break to throw it out to someone 20 feet from the basket at one point.
He’s done that all season. I’m suddenly proud to see him driving hard to the goal for shot and he lifts off the ground and uses both arms to pass back out to circle. Time and again.

I am not blaming Knetch, but in many of our losses he scored a lot of points”

Kentucky – 40

South Carolina – 31

Mississippi State – 28

North Carolina – 37

The rest of the team shouldn’t rely on him to do all the scoring. When we beat Kentucky last month, Knetch had 16, but the scoring was spread out. We are better when everyone contributes.
Absolutely. I think he feels he has to put the team on his back when hardly anyone else is contributing points. That's on them, not on Knecht.

Careful now. Don't call out Vescovi for not shooting the ball. Apparently he does so many other things that he doesn't have to shoot anymore
Don't know how serious you're being. But man, we need him getting offensively agressive and knocking down 3s come NCAAT. CRB spoke about it some concerning his confidence.

Tennessee, as a whole, shoots way too many 3's at times. Shot 40 against Bama and 36 yesterday. Zeigler, himself, has shot a combined 25 three pointers in those two games. I'm not complaining about officiating, but if Tennessee, specifically Knecht, doesn't get a favorable whistle on drives, then they settle for iso jumpers. I'm pretty sure Kentucky was in the bonus by the second media timeout in both halves yesterday and Tennessee just refused to drive and get to the line.
I get it. But, we didn't wanna go to the rack too much either. UKs bigs were blocking everything we brought nearly. They've got some unbelievable athletes and Cal is finally getting them to help and grow up a bit. Nothing new there.

I think Barnes was mostly refferring to the last 5-8 minutes of the game where UK was pushing up and double teaming Knecht. Contrary to his play to that point, he was forcing shots outside of the offense in that last stretch. I think Barnes simply wanted him to recognize he was being overguarded and therevwas opportunity to get his teammates involved, which would have made his job easier.

VN Store

Back