Baldur's Gate 3

I'm sure this game is objectively great, but much like Souls games, it's just not my bag. I wouldn't be surprised though if this wins Game of the Year over Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I think its GOTY IMO and the genre isn't my cup of tea,but I actually liked it. Without spoiling it, I just didn't like how anticlimactic the ending was after putting so much time into it. That's my only criticism.

I think its GOTY IMO and the genre isn't my cup of tea,but I actually liked it. Without spoiling it, I just didn't like how anticlimactic the ending was after putting so much time into it. That's my only criticism.
supposedly they redid the endings with Patch 5, not sure if that made anything more dramatic, I have avoided reading on the changes to avoid spoilers.

Reactions: Pennheel
I'm sure this game is objectively great, but much like Souls games, it's just not my bag. I wouldn't be surprised though if this wins Game of the Year over Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
It did but I find it hard to believe it’s a better game than TOTK. Turn based games just aren’t my thing though.

It did but I find it hard to believe it’s a better game than TOTK. Turn based games just aren’t my thing though.

I’m normally not a big fan of turn based games either, but I just started playing it and I have to say it is pretty enjoyable. Not easy, but so far I like it. Not sure if it is GOTY worthy imo, but I can see why it won the award.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Just picked it up for XBX...I was a fan of the first two Baldur's Gate games, amd so far this one doesn't disappoint. The multiplayer aspect is pretty cool too.

Its really only turn based in combat, the world exploration typically isn't, but you can toggle it if you desire. but even in the combat you have SO much agency on what you can do that the turns actually let you do more. normally I feel like it constricts me, but in this game it lets me do a lot more.

I wasn't sure how I was going to like using a controller i.l.o. a mouse/keyboard, but it's not so bad (it just took some getting used to, especially with regard to the action wheels).

I played BG1 and BG2 when they were first released way back, and the third installment hasn't disappointed so far, story-wise. I'm curious how the multiplayer feature is, also.

I wasn't sure how I was going to like using a controller i.l.o. a mouse/keyboard, but it's not so bad (it just took some getting used to, especially with regard to the action wheels).

I played BG1 and BG2 when they were first released way back, and the third installment hasn't disappointed so far, story-wise. I'm curious how the multiplayer feature is, also.
Careful saying things like this lol :)

Reactions: Pennheel and tbh
does anyone else getting ending-remorse towards the ends of games?

In good story games I always find myself slowing down towards the end. not playing as much. just because I don't want the game to end. having that with BG3. still having a ton of fun, and definitely need to do a second play thru as I missed a bunch, as well as trying it with a friend. but I just find my drive to finish slipping.

does anyone else getting ending-remorse towards the ends of games?

In good story games I always find myself slowing down towards the end. not playing as much. just because I don't want the game to end. having that with BG3. still having a ton of fun, and definitely need to do a second play thru as I missed a bunch, as well as trying it with a friend. but I just find my drive to finish slipping.
Absolutely. I start running around doing anything but finishing the game. There’s just nothing like the first play through.

Early game fights are super challenging for me, but I've never played D&D and haven't played a turn-based game since KOTOR. I'm just hoping to get my 60 bucks worth before I concede that I'm too dumb to keep up with all the stats and strategies required to be good at this game.

Early game fights are super challenging for me, but I've never played D&D and haven't played a turn-based game since KOTOR. I'm just hoping to get my 60 bucks worth before I concede that I'm too dumb to keep up with all the stats and strategies required to be good at this game.
yeah, its a lot to process early, and the game doesn't do a great job telling you about all the tools you can use. I definitely had to save scum because I would wander into fights I had no chance against. you can also hit some major narrative moments before you should too, which can be a bit painful to try and avoid.

yeah, its a lot to process early, and the game doesn't do a great job telling you about all the tools you can use. I definitely had to save scum because I would wander into fights I had no chance against. you can also hit some major narrative moments before you should too, which can be a bit painful to try and avoid.
I guess I erroneously assumed that it would be a Diablo-esque mechanic where you start with 2-3 very basic attacks/spells/movements, but in BG3 you've got a whole grocery list of abilities from the get-go. And on top of that you have to manage 4 characters instead of one. At this point I'm hoping for that lightbulb moment where it all clicks.

I guess I erroneously assumed that it would be a Diablo-esque mechanic where you start with 2-3 very basic attacks/spells/movements, but in BG3 you've got a whole grocery list of abilities from the get-go. And on top of that you have to manage 4 characters instead of one. At this point I'm hoping for that lightbulb moment where it all clicks.
yeah. the options are one of the reasons why I don't mind the turn based combat. with all the options its a good thing there are turns so you can actually use them all.

it took me at least 10 hours, maybe more, before I finally got on a roll. I run a pretty heavy close combat build for my party. at first I wanted some spells for balance, but around lvl 4 or 5 your fighters get an extra attack, and that completely changed the game for me. you definitely have to get used to the flow/hidden mechanics of combat and the game in general. understanding what the AI will typically try to do, how your environment can help you or the opponent

also at levels 4, 8, and 12 you get a "feat" which can be very powerful and help out a lot. they can help you build/change your party members to help with weaknesses.

yeah. the options are one of the reasons why I don't mind the turn based combat. with all the options its a good thing there are turns so you can actually use them all.

it took me at least 10 hours, maybe more, before I finally got on a roll. I run a pretty heavy close combat build for my party. at first I wanted some spells for balance, but around lvl 4 or 5 your fighters get an extra attack, and that completely changed the game for me. you definitely have to get used to the flow/hidden mechanics of combat and the game in general. understanding what the AI will typically try to do, how your environment can help you or the opponent

also at levels 4, 8, and 12 you get a "feat" which can be very powerful and help out a lot. they can help you build/change your party members to help with weaknesses.
Gotcha. That at least gives me something to look forward to.

Gotcha. That at least gives me something to look forward to.
yeah, my biggest struggle with the game was knowing where I kinda was in the storyline, and what I should be doing first. lots of trial and error from getting my butt kicked.

VN Store

Back