Backyard Bird Watchers

Five hummingbirds are vying for my feeder! The one trying to defend it cannot keep all of them away! It’s very entertaining. 😁

Edit: They’re stacked up in nearby trees, waiting for the chance to come in and feed.

There are six hummingbirds vying for my feeder. No one can defend it. When they tire of chasing each other, as many as four will feed at once. 😁

Reactions: StarRaider
I cannot keep count of the hummingbirds vying for my feeder. In between the face offs and chases, several will feed at once before another shows up and blows up the situation. They empty the feeder every two and a half days. It’s very entertaining. 😁

Reactions: ohhbother
They are very fun to watch. I have four feeders on the back deck and they provide hours of entertainment. Constantly fighting and chirping. Vicious little critters! Sure do miss them when they fly south in the fall.
I cannot keep count of the hummingbirds vying for my feeder. In between the face offs and chases, several will feed at once before another shows up and blows up the situation. They empty the feeder every two and a half days. It’s very entertaining

Reactions: Tin Man
Action at my feeder has calmed down a bit. One male hummingbird is attempting to defend it, however, there are two females and one other male determined to sup. 😁

There’s something of a truce at my feeder this afternoon. Three different hummingbirds have fed, unmolested. No confrontations. No chasing going on.

Reactions: VolNExile
The overnight lows have dropped to the high 60s, but I’ve refilled my feeder do to the persistent presence of three hummingbirds. Likely, they will move further south, soon, but, as long as hummers are passing through, I’ll keep a feeder for them.

The overnight lows have dropped to the high 60s, but I’ve refilled my feeder do to the persistent presence of three hummingbirds. Likely, they will move further south, soon, but, as long as hummers are passing through, I’ll keep a feeder for them.
Some of mine left about a week ago and I expect the rest will be leaving any time now. The most I've seen feeding at one time is 6 or 7. Been getting a bit chilly overnight here in Southern Indiana.

They'll probably still be around until early to mid October

Reactions: VolNExile
The tiny warriors are having at here the last couple of days too... there is a pair that squares off and rises to about 50 ft straight up.
Two residences ago, I had a feeder up at the kitchen window, over my deck. The missus and I were enjoying a lovely September day on the deck when two hummingbirds facing off rose behind her head. They continued up about 20’ before breaking into a diving and swatting competition. 😁

Three equally matched females are vying for my feeder this morning. A fourth sneaks in while the three of them are engaged until one notices and dives at her. Two occasionally pause their contest to feed opposite each other before resuming their contest. It’s very entertaining. None are hurt. All are in it for the nectar. 😁

Three equally matched females are vying for my feeder this morning. A fourth sneaks in while the three of them are engaged until one notices and dives at her. Two occasionally pause their contest to feed opposite each other before resuming their contest. It’s very entertaining. None are hurt. All are in it for the nectar. 😁

Two hummers are sharing my feeder this afternoon. One shows up, then the other. Neither appears to be defending it.

Two hummers are sharing my feeder this afternoon. One shows up, then the other. Neither appears to be defending it.
During a particularly hellish period, I had three cats - mine, my mother's (now mine), and my younger daughter's. Somewhere I have a photo of the three of them, who hated one another, lying on three separate catnip plants within a foot of one another, resolutely ignoring one another.

Best as I can tell I only have two hummingbirds left and they may be just passing through. Down to two feeders and will keep cleaning and refilling them for the travelers. Seems eerily quiet out on the deck without all their chirping and fighting.

Best as I can tell I only have two hummingbirds left and they may be just passing through. Down to two feeders and will keep cleaning and refilling them for the travelers. Seems eerily quiet out on the deck without all their chirping and fighting.
The male and female sharing my feeder only fuss when they arrive at the same time. The female is chasing away a newcomer that’s been feeding at my flowers.

Overnight lows in the forties have me thinking the hummingbirds are headed south of me, but one is visiting my feeder, today. 😊

Reactions: Go aeiou

VN Store

Back