Backup QB’s for 2024?

VOL 4 Life 83

Who are we looking at? The true freshman coming in? Gaston Moore is gone, correct? Just wondering as we don’t seem to have a lot of talent/experience behind Nico. Maybe a transfer QB?

Gaston Moore and Navy Shuler are both listed as RS Juniors. So should both have one year of eligibility remaining.

That doesn't mean they'll be back, but they might.

Other than that, yep, the true freshman. So far.

p.s. Oh yeah, there's a walk-on on the roster, too, freshman. Ryan Damron. No idea if he's a preferred walk-on, or the real Rudy type.

Who are we looking at? The true freshman coming in? Gaston Moore is gone, correct? Just wondering as we don’t seem to have a lot of talent/experience behind Nico. Maybe a transfer QB?
Jake Merklinger is an early enrollee so he will go through Spring Practice and summer workouts before fall practice starts. He will essentially do what Nico did this year.

Gaston Moore and Navy Shuler are both listed as RS Juniors. So should both have one year of eligibility remaining.

p.s. Oh yeah, there's a walk-on on the roster, too, freshman. Ryan Damron. No idea if he's a preferred walk-on, or the real Rudy type.
Yeah for some reason I thought I remember Moore being out of eligibility, but good to know if he can come back and be a decent backup

Yeah for some reason I thought I remember Moore being out of eligibility, but good to know if he can come back and be a decent backup
He went through senior day so I think the assumption was that he wouldn’t be back, whether transfer or being done with football. I’m nostalgic, so I like seeing that #21 out there behind center, even though it’s only going to be in blowouts

I don't remember the one but a news source reported Moore will be back. Shuler still has eligibility. Then Merklinger could play i a pinch.

Indeed he is a preferred walk-on. 247 had him listed as a three star recruit with an offer from Kentucky and other smaller schools. Mr, Damron hails from Paris, Tennessee.

Jake Merklinger is an early enrollee so he will go through Spring Practice and summer workouts before fall practice starts. He will essentially do what Nico did this year.
By do what Nico did, I guess you mean Jake can be the next fan favorite as soon as Nico disappoints VN?

What's the over/under on the first game where we see "Put Jake in. He's better than Nico"...... I'll take the OU game.

I personally don't sell Moore or Shuler short, both have played college ball, admitted not SEC level. But I think either can play better than credit is given, both should be very familiar with Huepels system

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I honestly think he's a solid backup, he's looked good when out there.
Agree he knows the system and probably really good backup option. JH values ball security and people who can run the offense and get people in place w/o presnap penalties.

Reactions: joevol33
By do what Nico did, I guess you mean Jake can be the next fan favorite as soon as Nico disappoints VN?

What's the over/under on the first game where we see "Put Jake in. He's better than Nico"...... I'll take the OU game.
Definitely - the best player on the team is the backup QB!

It will be interesting to watch. He'll do the redshirt next year baring an injury to Nico and then hopefully come back as a redshirt freshman in what could be Nico's last year. But should Nico come back and play his redshirt junior year, it might be hard to keep Merklinger - he'll want to be able to start somewhere. That's the problem everyone will face going forward - you're not going to be able to keep highly talented QBs if they don't start. They will stay for their redshirt season and probably for their redshirt freshman season as a backup, but if they are still a backup going into their third season, they will look for greener pastures. I think most teams will have a starter and then a true or redshirt freshman as the backup.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
While having a year of eligibility left, Moore got his degree and has talked about going into coaching. I think hes sticking around this year and being a grad assistant that could play if it got that bad.

Shuler is playimg next year.

So the QB room looks like this:
QB1 - Nico
QB2/3 - Shuler/Merklinger
QB4 - Damron
QB EMERGENCY - Moore

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back