Back to the 60s, Police beating college students

Really? That justifies violence from the state?
Don't remember if the National Guard was called in by or through the Governor (Nixon) there were hundreds of homemade signs that could have said anything. The Guard split the protesters which was a mistake everyone rallied at the Circle and broke off into small groups and entered Humanities bldg Students Cemter etc. This left the Gusrd practically powerless.

Don't remember if the National Guard was called in by or through the Governor (Nixon) there were hundreds of homemade signs that could have said anything. The Guard split the protesters which was a mistake everyone rallied at the Circle and broke off into small groups and entered Humanities bldg Students Cemter etc. This left the Gusrd practically powerless.
I misunderstood…. I thought some of the soldiers came over on their own to confront…. I didn’t realize it was an “official” intervention

That was a very turbulent time for everyone. I can see how soldiers would have been on edge so I’m not going to draw as hard of a line as you.
Why not? In this hypothetical situation, those soldiers made an oath to the Constitution and they would have been in uniform attacking someone over a sign.... 1A protected speech.

When you say "soldiers would have been on edge", what are you suggesting? Looks like you are laying down the groundwork for their defense.

Reactions: NashVol11
I misunderstood…. I thought some of the soldiers came over on their own to confront…. I didn’t realize it was an “official” intervention
Couldn't tell, they ( a few?) may have gone rogue but the feeling was that they were given marching orders and were acting under those orders. I do know for certain that the TBI/FBI were there. We knew them in person from the frat raids over drug possession. They would try to 'hide' as maintenance workers, entered the frat house, and our rooms, to 'fix' the telephone wiring or HVAC...neither of which were broken.

When we got arrested for protesting, the local Knox County(?) judge opened the court and looked at the throng of us and laughed, changed all the felony counts to misdemeanors, time served (24 hours in the muni jail. Then proceeded to expunge the records or at least he said he would, I have no public record that I know of.

That was a very turbulent time for everyone. I can see how soldiers would have been on edge so I’m not going to draw as hard of a line as you.
The Guard was not happy with their task, many of them were ex-ROTC and schoolmates at one time. They were in the Guard to avert being drafted. Until the draft lottery was put in play, then the only way out was to pull a high number, I think over 180, They would pull a ball with a number on it, then pull a ball with a date on it (birthday) and voila. FYI, the reason that the draft lottery was installed was that Nixon was getting heat from the elite's who wanted to protect their sons. The black population had been well over represented in combat and they brought the heat as well.

Why not? In this hypothetical situation, those soldiers made an oath to the Constitution and they would have been in uniform attacking someone over a sign.... 1A protected speech.

When you say "soldiers would have been on edge", what are you suggesting? Looks like you are laying down the groundwork for their defense.
I’m saying I wasn’t there, that I have no idea what it was like to have been a soldier during that time. Get off your constitutional high horse man….. people are people and no one is perfect. 💩 happens

"The Strike Committee declared the strike an unqualified success, with 70 to 80 percent of the student body participating in some way."

They're not the only side to reject it. It might, or might not, help if one of those two state proposals was close to balanced.
A couple of the proposals over the years have been pretty good deals.

If one’s vision of “balanced” includes the absurd demand for Right to Return - yea, that’s never going to happen.

I’m saying I wasn’t there, that I have no idea what it was like to have been a soldier during that time. Get off your constitutional high horse man….. people are people and no one is perfect. 💩 happens
Officers of the state beat up students over a sign = "nobody's perfect"
Israel counter-protestor gets barely touched by a tiny flag = "VICIOUS STABBING BY VIOLENT PROTESTORS"

Reactions: EasternVol
How do you think Putin would handle this? In details and be honest please.
We are seeing how he is handling things right now in Eastern Ukraine in the most extreme example I can give you. And even still, the civilian death toll in Gaza after 7 months is exceeding what Putin has done in 27 months. So how have the Russians been able to minimize casualties with less sophisticated weapons and tactics, yet the Israelis and Americans can't seem to avoid civilian casualties with their smart bombs and knock bombs?
I'm pretty certain he was asking about protesters. As in how would Putin handle people in Moscow protesting Russia's military action in Ukraine.

They're not the only side to reject it. It might, or might not, help if one of those two state proposals was close to balanced.
Problem is neither side will do that..and being they both rejected it..we really need to stop that as a option and let those 2 deal with it...get out troops and money outta it and let the chips fall where they may

VN Store

Back