Awaka to the portal

He does do that. I guess the counter is just that players with fire often do. He can do better. I hope he comes back.
I hope so too, ideally I'd love to see he and JP each get around 20 minutes. I think JP has the higher ceiling at the 5, because of his size. However, it's always good to have someone who can do the dirty work and won't back down. Plus, I actually like Tobe's post moves to get his shot off. I think he can eliminate the silly fouls with more minutes/responsibility, just have to have that one second to think and acknowledge that possession is over.

I am a fan of your character on the Vol show Cav, but I gotta say— a 6 8” guy who is that aggressive on the glass, blocks shots, and ties up balls is going to get fouls called. Rodman got a lot of fouls too. He will get better. Part of the problem is that his role is often coming in to be aggressive when Aidoo isn’t. He can definitely get to a better fouls per minute rate. He also isn’t going to play 36 minutes. All of this should be framed by saying, right now he isn’t back. He’s in a weird “show me” holding pattern. Usually these things resolve quickly or die on the vine. I want to hear he’s back, soon, or I’ll be betting against it. I currently don’t see any player we’re in on that I’d rather have in the role of playing 40-60% of the 5 minutes.
You must’ve heard the same message I did today, looking less likely he’s back.

Fair points, but the tin hat with me is very strong. I wonder if there might be a name or two not yet in the portal that may be in play with us? Players have until the end of April or am I mistaken? Then again the most plausible explanation is that we are holding Awaka at arms length until other, more coveted players make decisions. At least it seems plausible to this old head.
We definitely aren’t holding him at arm’s length. Ball is in his court.

Someone connected to the program that I have known for years (and usually gives me good info) told me he's got an NIL offer out there close to 700k from another program.

Someone connected to the program that I have known for years (and usually gives me good info) told me he's got an NIL offer out there close to 700k from another program.
If he has $700k on the line, he better jump all over it because he's being grossly overpaid. I also won't be surprised to hear he's in the portal next year, if true, because that's funny money if someone is promising him that kind of cash.

If he has $700k on the line, he better jump all over it because he's being grossly overpaid. I also won't be surprised to hear he's in the portal next year, if true, because that's funny money if someone is promising him that kind of cash.
That’s not accurate. Hes not being offered anything close to that. It’s not far off what Aidoo is being offered though.

Offers are great but he needs to make sure that offer is in a written contract vetted by someone who understand contracts…Florida collective made offers all over the place to recruits a few years ago and when pen hit the paper they failed to deliver and those recruits either transferred or decommited

Jeff Goodman said on Basilio the other day that top end teams are requiring 3-4$ million in NIL. That’s a problem if Tennessee is not there.

That’s not accurate. Hes not being offered anything close to that. It’s not far off what Aidoo is being offered though.
This person sees the team everyday and hasn't told me wrong info yet. He told me Dillione was shopping around even before the SEC tourney through AAU coaches.

This person sees the team everyday and hasn't told me wrong info yet. He told me Dillione was shopping around even before the SEC tourney through AAU coaches.
I'd venture to guess somewhere between him telling you and the original source of that information, Aidoo and Awaka's names have been unintentionally misused/misheard, and a whole new rumor was born.

Reactions: Lankykong
You must’ve heard the same message I did today, looking less likely he’s back.

From the outside looking in, it feels like a one or the other situation with Milicic and Tobe. Seems like the staff covets Milicic. Understandable that this would affect Tobe’s thinking.

I’m sure the staff would like to have both but probably understands that getting both is pretty unlikely.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back