Aviation Discussion

ATC hiring bid opens at midnight and runs through the weekend if you all know of anyone interested. It will be posted on usajobs.com

Yeah the 10 hours on the quick turn would have been okay and not required a total revamping of the schedule. This 12 hours before a mid is going to screw up things big time.

Either you work a first day mid like you said with a 122 or come in at something like 2 or 3 am for a day shift before mid. Both of those sound really bad. It’s very hard to get rest before a first day mid for most people.

Seems like a big knee jerk reaction to make the public feel better while creating less time at home with your family, and making your weekend much shorter.

You could set up a line that works straight mids but I don’t know if there’s enough staffing to accomplish that at most places.

Yeah the 10 hours on the quick turn would have been okay and not required a total revamping of the schedule. This 12 hours before a mid is going to screw up things big time.

Either you work a first day mid like you said with a 122 or come in at something like 2 or 3 am for a day shift before mid. Both of those sound really bad. It’s very hard to get rest before a first day mid for most people.

Seems like a big knee jerk reaction to make the public feel better while creating less time at home with your family, and making your weekend much shorter.

You could set up a line that works straight mids but I don’t know if there’s enough staffing to accomplish that at most places.

I think each of our areas here has three permanent midders. Then a majority of nights has an extra 2/2/1.

We’ll see how it shakes out. I think if I had the airplane time, I’d have got in while the getting was good on that side of things. The money has been good here, but I just spend so much time at work and I’m constantly tired seems like.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I think each of our areas here has three permanent midders. Then a majority of nights has an extra 2/2/1.

We’ll see how it shakes out. I think if I had the airplane time, I’d have got in while the getting was good on that side of things. The money has been good here, but I just spend so much time at work and I’m constantly tired seems like.
Right. Going to have to wait a bit to see what actually happens.

We all have 4 man mids here.

TYS OS bid came out the other day. I think I may put in for it. Sure would make life easier. The commute down and back at least once a month with four nights away is rough on family life. I’d eventually have to leave and chase the money again, though.

I was just checking that bid out yesterday. Got on just to see what was out there in case the potential new schedule makes likes miserable. 19K paycut for me.

I do find it interesting they seem to have a bid there almost yearly.

I was just checking that bid out yesterday. Got on just to see what was out there in case the potential new schedule makes likes miserable. 19K paycut for me.

I do find it interesting they seem to have a bid there almost yearly.

Yeah, the top of the band is exactly what I make now. I guess anything I would get for my rating would be a lump sum. You’d probably save pay for a few years, I think.

Maybe it is a feeder sup job for larger towers. I’ve never met the controllers personally, but just talking to them while flying they all seem cool and competent except for one. She kicks us out of the pattern every time she’s working three or more aircraft. Gets into arguments on the frequency with us. Our commander finally went to the ATM and had a meeting about it, but nothing seems to have changed.

Me and my Mother meeting Dad on the runway in the 60's. Through his aviation career he flew 5200 hours, had 145 nighttime landings on the USS Independence. He was a senior LSO squadron commander and always a fighter pilot and had 5200 hours in 3,100 flights in the F-9-F, AD-6, A-4 (all models), RA-SC, A-6, A-7, F-8, F-4 and additional airframe with a total of 435 carrier landings of which 145 of them were at night. He received the distinguished flying cross for continuing a mission over Hanoi when his fuel tank failed to switch over and thankfully he was able to be refueled in the air, and he still is.......and always will be my Hero. The young man in the picture below is Ross Perot's son, they happened to be in Hawaii in 75 when Dad was squadron Commander of VC-1 and his son wanted to fly in a jet, so Dad took him for a flight in his jet. Sometime after that his son flew a helicopter around the world.0126181234-00.jpg
20240426_214644.jpg0426211711-00.jpgimages.jpeg0525211601-00.jpg0211181243-01.jpg0129200829-00.jpg

Last edited:
Me and my Mother meeting Dad on the runway in the 60's. Through his aviation career he flew 5200 hours, had 145 nighttime landings on the USS Independence. He was a senior LSO squadron commander and always a fighter pilot and had 5200 hours in 3,100 flights in the F-9-F, AD-6, A-4 (all models), RA-SC, A-6, A-7, F-8, F-4 and additional airframe with a total of 435 carrier landings of which 145 of them were at night. He received the distinguished flying cross for continuing a mission over Hanoi when his fuel tank failed to switch over and thankfully he was able to be refueled in the air, and he still is.......and always will be my Hero. The young man in the picture below is Ross Perot's son, they happened to be in Hawaii in 75 when Dad was squadron Commander of VC-1 and his son wanted to fly in a jet, so Dad took him for a flight in his jet. Sometime after that his son flew a helicopter around the world.View attachment 637407
View attachment 637399View attachment 637400View attachment 637401View attachment 637402View attachment 637403View attachment 637404
Pretty awesome career. Did he do any flying after retirement?

Reactions: Vjcvette
Pretty awesome career. Did he do any flying after retirement?
He had a couple of V tailed Bonanzas that he did a little charter service with and then he had a Navion for a little while. It was a little hot rod and then he got a Mustang racer and it was a hot rod and had to land at 100 and had a squirrely tail wheel, but I am glad that he did not keep that long, but he would buzz his Mother's house and she would say "if he lives...I'll kill him....lol. Also his Dad was remodeling a funeral home in Greeneville Tennessee and Dad knew it of course and he
Flew a jet over the roof and some windows blew out and his Dad knew that it was him too. That is me sitting in the Mustang racer on the runway, and also in the picture of the red and white Bonanza Dad had taken me and my friend up for a short flight. He is a little older now....but he's still got the 'Swag'
0531212348-00.jpg
0211181419-00.jpg0211181418-00.jpg0211181420-00.jpg0211181419-01.jpg

Last edited:
He had a couple of V tailed Bonanzas that he did a little charter service with and then he had a Navion for a little while. It was a little hot rod and then he got a Mustang racer and it was a hot rod and had to land at 100 and had a squirrely tail wheel, but I am glad that he did not keep that long, but he would buzz his Mother's house and she would say "if he lives...I'll kill him....lol. Also his Dad was remodeling a funeral home in Greeneville Tennessee and Dad knew it of course and he
Flew a jet over the roof and some windows blew out and his Dad knew that it was him too. That is me sitting in the Mustang racer on the runway, and also in the picture of the red and white Bonanza Dad had taken me and my friend up for a short flight. He is a little older now....but he's still got the 'Swag'
View attachment 637713
View attachment 637706View attachment 637707View attachment 637708View attachment 637709
Pretty cool. I see that the charter service is in rockwood. That’s one of our primary training airports on days we aren’t messing around in the mountains. If he’s ever interested in coming out to McGhee Tyson or Rockwood to check out some army helicopters, let me know and I’ll make it happen.

Reactions: Vjcvette
Pretty cool. I see that the charter service is in rockwood. That’s one of our primary training airports on days we aren’t messing around in the mountains. If he’s ever interested in coming out to McGhee Tyson or Rockwood to check out some army helicopters, let me know and I’ll make it happen.
I sure will and thank you. Years and years ago they took him out in a field with a helicopter and he said that he had that helicopter all over that field lol

Hey my Dad thought that was a really nice gesture and really appreciates it. He had to train in an H-1 at Ellison field in Pensacola, but he had to do it in one week, so the first two days he was all over the place and then by the third day he had greatly improved and then in a week he could go up 8000 feet and shut the engine down and land and he got certified.

Last edited:
Hey my Dad thought that was a really nice gesture and really appreciates it. He had to train in an H-1 at Ellison field in Pensacola, but he had to do it in one week, so the first two days he was all over the place and then by the third day he had greatly improved and then in a week he could go up 8000 feet and shut the engine down and land and he got certified.
That’s pretty awesome. I’ve heard fighter pilots pick up on it pretty quickly because the stick skills are, in a way, similar. I think I hovered at 8 hours. It’s crazy how you come from not being able to be contained in a football field to be able to stick it on the midfield logo, seemingly all at once.

VN Store

Back