Attendance: 9,244

The ticket and required donation prices have gone up in recent years under the leadership of a Sr. Associate AD who just left to go to another school. He felt that discounted tickets and general admission, etc "devalued" the product. Meanwhile, the same person cut the marketing budget meaning fewer promotions, fewer t-shirts thrown into the crowd, less halftime entertainment, things like that. He's an idiot.

I think a new administration will look at the ticket strategies and the things that were being done when the team was drawing better.

Interesting. I miss those promotions and wish they would bring them back.

Reactions: 1 person
Attendance is dropping and after what we saw the other day and for the last couple seasons I suspect it will continue. I don't expect we'll average ten thousand this season.

Unless something drastically changes in the next decade this trend will likely continue and probably get worse not only at UT but nationally.

At the youth and high school level participation rates are falling in all sports, especially so in girls basketball. In many schools volleyball, soccer, and softball have surpassed basketball as the sport of choice for females. Lacrosse is the next sport quickly gaining ground in certain areas of the country. There are high schools in the largest classifications in many states eliminating JV and freshman girls basketball squads because they can't get the turnout.

Which begs the question among all the talk about firing Holly is in a world of changing interests, demographics, and limited resources how much do you really want to put in a program even with the legacy UT has in the sport?

attendance is falling because they have made the game almost unrecognizable and totally boring to watch. An unbroken series of bad shots, trips to the free throw line, limiting defenses and too much time with timeouts and official conferences and replays. imnsho

It has been years since the Lady Vols have won one of the "big games" against a bonafide national championship contender-type opponent. During this time when there have been none of those big wins, there have been countless humiliating losses and negative records set. Opponents who, 15 years ago, would have been no more competition for Tennessee than a Division III exhibition game opponent, have come away with wins, some even ON TENNESSEE'S HOME COURT.

This is why, these days, folks aren't quite as resolved to go through hell or high water to get to TBA like they used to. Now, many people are choosing to do their wincing and cringing in the privacy of their own homes while watching on TV.

Holly should of been fired last yr. Tn seems to let coaches just stay here until they turn the program into a dumpster fire.

Except for the #1 recruiting class....

It's not a dumpster fire. The right coach will have this team back year 1.

Do you have a source for this? Also, why is this happening?

Forbes Welcome

Are the kids alright? - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

Youth Participation Weakens in Basketball, Football, Baseball, Soccer - WSJ

Not sure on the theories but I'll throw out a few thoughts:

1) Urbanization of America. The population in America continues to move into exurb, suburban and urban communities. When you congregate more individuals together you can offer more choices for kids both non-athletically and athletically. I grew up in a county under 50,000 people. Athletically we had only football, basketball, and baseball. I now live in a suburb and the options my child has at an elementary level are overwhelming. I've had fliers for youth soccer, t-ball, basketball, tennis, and lacrosse come home with him. That doesn't even touch on the non-athletic options.

2) Overcompensation for yesterday by current parents. I'm not sure on this one but I recently had a conversation with a friend of mine that played Division 1 olympic sports at a high level for an ACC school. His son is starting middle school and I asked him if he was going to start tennis lessons soon. He said he wasn't allowing him to play sports unless he initiated the conversation due to how tennis was drilled into him by his parents growing up. My parents were not that intense around sports but I remember the emphasis put on sports in my small town. I can't help but wonder if this isn't the blow back to those days.

3) Quality of the game. Compared to volleyball and softball which contain a lot of tense action packed moments, basketball leaves a lot to be offered. People want to see scoring not a defensive slug fest. Also problematic for girls basketball is the direct comparison points with the men's game. Volleyball has no direct competition and softball is unique enough as compared to baseball that it escapes its shadow.

Forbes Welcome

Are the kids alright? - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

Youth Participation Weakens in Basketball, Football, Baseball, Soccer - WSJ

Not sure on the theories but I'll throw out a few thoughts:

1) Urbanization of America. The population in America continues to move into exurb, suburban and urban communities. When you congregate more individuals together you can offer more choices for kids both non-athletically and athletically. I grew up in a county under 50,000 people. Athletically we had only football, basketball, and baseball. I now live in a suburb and the options my child has at an elementary level are overwhelming. I've had fliers for youth soccer, t-ball, basketball, tennis, and lacrosse come home with him. That doesn't even touch on the non-athletic options.

2) Overcompensation for yesterday by current parents. I'm not sure on this one but I recently had a conversation with a friend of mine that played Division 1 olympic sports at a high level for an ACC school. His son is starting middle school and I asked him if he was going to start tennis lessons soon. He said he wasn't allowing him to play sports unless he initiated the conversation due to how tennis was drilled into him by his parents growing up. My parents were not that intense around sports but I remember the emphasis put on sports in my small town. I can't help but wonder if this isn't the blow back to those days.

3) Quality of the game. Compared to volleyball and softball which contain a lot of tense action packed moments, basketball leaves a lot to be offered. People want to see scoring not a defensive slug fest. Also problematic for girls basketball is the direct comparison points with the men's game. Volleyball has no direct competition and softball is unique enough as compared to baseball that it escapes its shadow.

Thank you for those links. I will read through those later. I appreciate your thoughts also. You make some good points.

You can come up with any pricing scheme or strategy you want, but until there is something on the court people want to watch the seats will remain empty.

You can come up with any pricing scheme or strategy you want, but until there is something on the court people want to watch the seats will remain empty.

true just sold my season tickets what sucks is i took a hit just get rid of them ... if holly stays i think they need whitewash pat summitt off the court cuz whats going on is a total disrepect for pat .. im sorry pat from above is not happy and is prob shaking her head and going what the hell did i do giving that woman my whistle :loco:

VN Store

Back