Atlanta Braves Thread - Ryan Klesko Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give this narrative a break. Nobody is actually playing consistently abroad in the top leagues and those that are either are in the squad (Yedlin, Wood, Pulisic) or in the case of Fabian Johnson showing a real lack of commitment or players like Geoff Cameron that just returned from injury. Sure there are a couple that you can make an argument, Horvath being a big one that should have been given an opportunity, but you can't find a manager in the world that isn't going to have 1 or 2 selections that fans questions for technical reasons or just seeing something different. I know the comment Arena made a few years back, but you can't actually believe when his job depends on it he would not be looking to select the best team available.

While yes this team should have qualified out of CONCACAF, this was always going to be a bit of a down cycle and we weren't really going to do much in the world cup minus an extremely favorable draw. Really need players like Sargent, Carleton, Weah to develop quickly and hope for a strong next cycle. There is some serious talent on display at the U17 world cup right now, combine that with Yedlin and Wood in their early 20s and Pulisic plus have some others start to click and see some playing time and there is a good reason to look forward.

I've been hearing about the serious level of US youth talent for thirty years. Despite that, you can still count on one hand the number of US players who have ever played regularly in one of the top club leagues in the world. Until we fix our broken player development then nothing is going to change. It is not a coincidence that Pulisic got out at 16.

Reactions: 1 person
I've been hearing about the serious level of US youth talent for thirty years. Despite that, you can still count on one hand the number of US players who have ever played regularly in one of the top club leagues in the world. Until we fix our broken player development then nothing is going to change. It is not a coincidence that Pulisic got out at 16.

While you are not wrong, I would argue that this current crop of players is actually being recognized for their technical abilities rather than just physical attributes. Even from a young age I thought the odds were very much against players like Altidore because even though he may have all the physical measurements qualities such as his ability to control his first touch and understanding of movement off the ball stood out like a sore thumb against actual world-class talent. Time will tell, and I could very well be proven wrong but this group, particularly the team at the U17 world cup right now looks very different.

You are spot on about the youth system though. But improving that is a million dollar question. While the MLS Academies have shown a little bit of promise, the academy system is always going to be harder to work here than in say England where the density of teams is such that everybody lives a short distance from a team and it is easy for said team to influence them from a young age. Which leaves us with a system in which kids are incredibly under-coached at a young age in a system that lets you succeed on just being the biggest strongest and fastest and then as you get older to actually play at a high level it is incredibly expensive. Growing up my parents gave up weekends and looking back on it for me to play on a strong team which ended up going to showcase tournaments all over the country weekend after weekend. As much as I enjoyed it at the time, I am not sure I will be able to encourage the same thing with my kid. I just am not sure what the answer is though

Y’all see where strausburg declined the start tonight for game 4. Case of the sniffles. Dude is a gigantic wuss.

Edit: never mind. I see where he got shamed into pitching. Currently throwing a 2 hit shut out.

Last edited:
The trip to Knoxville has begun..currently in Clarksville(ish). Headed to Lexington KY tomorrow for some horse racing

My knee hurts so i googled my symptoms and it looks like it might be a grade 1. Definitely not that bad.

I had no idea at the time which ligament it was but I knew mine was a tear just bc of the movement from inside to out. Although that didn't last long bc the whole joint flooded with blood and then I could barely move it at all.

I had no idea at the time which ligament it was but I knew mine was a tear just bc of the movement from inside to out. Although that didn't last long bc the whole joint flooded with blood and then I could barely move it at all.

Damn. Mine just hurts on the inside, no swelling or anything, just really sore and doesn't feel all that stable. I'm doing the R.I.C.E. thing and got a knee brace with the stabilizers in it, hopefully that helps. The no swelling or brusing gives me hope.

Give this narrative a break. Nobody is actually playing consistently abroad in the top leagues and those that are either are in the squad (Yedlin, Wood, Pulisic) or in the case of Fabian Johnson showing a real lack of commitment or players like Geoff Cameron that just returned from injury. Sure there are a couple that you can make an argument, Horvath being a big one that should have been given an opportunity, but you can't find a manager in the world that isn't going to have 1 or 2 selections that fans questions for technical reasons or just seeing something different. I know the comment Arena made a few years back, but you can't actually believe when his job depends on it he would not be looking to select the best team available.

You’re absolutely right in the fact that his hands were kind of tied at this particular moment with several guys being injured or out of form. My objection to “real Americans” mindset is that it had the potential to severely weaken the talent pool over the long haul. The only real argument was whether it would be more detrimental than missing a WC, but now that’s a moot point.

For all his many faults, one thing Klinsmann always seemed to be doing right was going out there scouring the globe for anybody who could possibly be elegible to play for the USMNT. Turning your nose up at those kind of players is just leaving a lot on the table IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back