AT&T UVerse vs Comcast

I'd like to ask someone about Comcast that has it. I used to have Comcast years ago until I switched to AT&T. From what I have read Comcast offers any room DVR which is where you have one DVR with a hard drive and the other boxes are "remote" units that connect to the main one. That said I've read that Comcast's remote boxes don't have the same features as Uverse.

Uverse remote boxes Are:
1. able to view any recording from any of the televisions on the network.
2. able to start a recording from any of the televisions on the network.
3. able to schedule recordings from any of the televisions on the network.
4. able to pause, rewind, fast forward while watching live shows from any television on the network. The LIVE TV pause ability on Uverse is however limited to 2 hours I believe. After 2 hours on pause it will erase the buffer and drop you back to live viewing.

Also the other thing you get with Uverse is the ability to:
-Record 3 different channels at once and watch either one of the channels you're recording or something already recorded on the DVR.
Or
-Record 2 different channels at once while watching something LIVE on a third channel.

Is it as good as Comcast's? I know Directv has a form of it too but it's bush league compared to Comcast's.
its basically the same thing. I would go to an AT&T store and have them demo it for you, but I'm pretty sure it's just about identical

Comcast is horrible. Their customer service is bad, their internet and tv is unreliable. I really may switch to uverse.

U-Verse isn't available in our area. They are going to sign you up for 1.5 Mbps DSL and Dish, probably without your knowledge.

Just cut out cable altogether. That's the only reasonable solution in this day and age.

Comcast offers a package with 25 Mbps Internet, local channels, and HBO for $40/mo. I don't regret dropping cable one bit.

On a completely unrelated note... I may need to come over for a few NBA Playoff games.

Oh, and as much as I hate Comcast, I am never doing business with AT&T again. A bunch of shady MFers that don't deserve my money.

I am another person that is not a fan of Comcast. Still given my needs (I am running 2 Apple TVs, 2 PS4s, 3 XBox 360s, PS3, Roku box, Airplay Speakers, iPads, iPhones, etc.) I depend on the internet a lot. Nothing in my area (I'm in Powell) compares to Comcast. I currently have their 50 Mbps package, but I dropped cable last April for DirectTV. I did look into AT&T UVerse, but their speeds in Knoxville where not competitive to Comcast (and they was not available in my area).

My biggest issue with Comcast right now is there 300GB cap in the Knoxville area. Right now I am hitting anywhere from 350GB to 500GB per month. So my bill just for internet at 50Mbps down is anywhere from $80 to $120. I am over it, but there are no other real options in my area. Frontier is crap, UVerse not my area but slower than Comcast anyway, is there a provider in Powell I don't know about?

Comcast is horrible. Their customer service is bad, their internet and tv is unreliable. I really may switch to uverse.

I've had Comcast boardband since 2000, and it is amazingly reliable. Maybe it is your router, but the my internet downtime during that last 13+ years is at .05% at the most, and this was in 2 different cities (Johnson City and now Knoxville).

U-Verse isn't available in our area. They are going to sign you up for 1.5 Mbps DSL and Dish, probably without your knowledge.

Just cut out cable altogether. That's the only reasonable solution in this day and age.

Comcast offers a package with 25 Mbps Internet, local channels, and HBO for $40/mo. I don't regret dropping cable one bit.

On a completely unrelated note... I may need to come over for a few NBA Playoff games.

I need cable. I love my DVR for F1 too much.

Yeah, I cant imagine a world with no cable

I would love to dump cable, but I need NBCsports in hd with dvr. The race this weekend is in china. The race starts at 3:00am. What am I supposed to do with that? I can't stay up till 3-5am and still expect to make any church service. Also, no way in hell I can wake up at 3:00 am.

I would love to dump cable, but I need NBCsports in hd with dvr. The race this weekend is in china. The race starts at 3:00am. What am I supposed to do with that? I can't stay up till 3-5am and still expect to make any church service. Also, no way in hell I can wake up at 3:00 am.

I like college football too much to get rid of cable

Yeah, I cant imagine a world with no cable

It is easily to imagine, and not far off for most of us. Why?

- HD Antenna for local channels

- Cable is still stuck at 1080i, while most streaming options and even the HD Antennas are at 1080p for local

- Options like AppleTV, Roku, etc. give you enough content and access to stream services to fill that TV time.

- HBOGO is being tested already in some Comcast markets as a standalone (not cable sub required). This will happen sooner or later for all. That said ID & PW are easily shared for HBOGO accounts.

- Just like HBOGO will end up doing, WWE already has done with it's streaming option. I don't care about the WWE, but what a move by them with this service. You will see other channels follow this route.

- DVRs are no longer needed, due to everything is on demand in the cloud.

The only issue is sports, but F1 is a prime example of a sport that might would benefit from doing something like the WWE did (but TV contracts would be the issue). Of course the one that everyone hopes makes a move towards a streaming service is ESPN. I believe it will happen sooner or later, and once it does it would be the last domino I need to fall. So I can imagine it.

To be clear I only watch shows like Mad Men, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, True Detective, heck whatever show HBO is showing on Sunday night, and the only sport I watch is college football. Outside of college football I could easily watch any of those shows with cable. Maybe Roku private channels offers something, but I don't know much about Roku (I might need to look into getting one to go with my AppleTVs).

Last edited:

I havent had cable the past 2 CFB seasons and havent missed a single game. I basically have the same set up as Vol_Karma just described. Granted, it helps using my mom's Charter log-in for WatchESPN and HBOGO on my AppleTV but there are other options to get around that if I didn't have it (feed2all.com).

Some of yall watch a lot of TV compared to me though.

I forgot about WatchESPN. Does it have all the games on the ESPN network? Also does it have them stored in cloud in case you miss a game? I need to give it a spin on my AppleTV. I have a family member that has a ID and PW that I could use for HBOGO and WatchESPN that never uses it, so that would be great. My DirectTV contract is up one year from this month. God I pray I can cut the cord at that time.

- Cable is still stuck at 1080i, while most streaming options and even the HD Antennas are at 1080p for local

- Options like AppleTV, Roku, etc. give you enough content and access to stream services to fill that TV time.

- HBOGO is being tested already in some Comcast markets as a standalone (not cable sub required). This will happen sooner or later for all. That said ID & PW are easily shared for HBOGO accounts.

- Just like HBOGO will end up doing, WWE already has done with it's streaming option. I don't care about the WWE, but what a move by them with this service. You will see other channels follow this route.

The only issue is sports, but F1 is a prime example of a sport that might would benefit from doing something like the WWE did (but TV contracts would be the issue). Of course the one that everyone hopes makes a move towards a streaming service is ESPN. I believe it will happen sooner or later, and once it does it would be the last domino I need to fall. So I can imagine it.

To be clear I only watch shows like Mad Men, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, True Detective, heck whatever show HBO is showing on Sunday night, and the only sport I watch is college football. Outside of college football I could easily watch any of those shows with cable. Maybe Roku private channels offers something, but I don't know much about Roku (I might need to look into getting one to go with my AppleTVs).

I would love for that to happen, but F1's management group, FOM is so slow to make changes. F1 doesn't even have a youtube account. The only videos they have on their website are pole laps, and terrible race edits that while showing the action, are in no way a recap of the race. You miss the F1 race on TV? Too bad you get no visualrecap of what happened.

I forgot about WatchESPN. Does it have all the games on the ESPN network? Also does it have them stored in cloud in case you miss a game? I need to give it a spin on my AppleTV. I have a family member that has a ID and PW that I could use for HBOGO and WatchESPN that never uses it, so that would be great. My DirectTV contract is up one year from this month. God I pray I can cut the cord at that time.

You can watch all the ESPN branded networks live in HD. Some replays are available for a short time.

Yes. There is a big performance difference between the two different types of fiber optic networks though FTTP(Fiber to the premises) and FTTN(fiber to the node). Both of these are offered by AT&T and Verizon.
The majority of the connections are FTTN but if you're lucky enough to be in one of the areas where they are running the fiber optic all the way to the house you've seriously scored.

Same service though. The delivery method for each can be different depending on the area you are in. What can be FTTP (I agree the best case scenario) in one area for Verizon could be FTTN and converted to a bonded copper line in another. Completely depends on the resources they have available to them in the areas. The delivery method could affect your speeds, the number of HD streams you are capabale of etc.

Either of them should be able to tell you your transport you would be working off of. FTTP is by far preferred, but I've seen bonded speeds and performance as well. Still very good.

I've had Uverse for 4-5 yrs now and other than the occasional box going down I haven't had issues with thier service. I don't know much about the speed of Internet though cause I don't play video games. Cust service wise I haven't had much issues there either. I'm sure its a regional/area thing though. But I'd tell u to deal with Rahish or any of his family members via chat, and youll be ok there. I did that a few weeks ago to find out why my bill increased $5 or so. Looking through the bill it was due to taxes etc. I just asked if they had sent me noticed, and he I should have (which I doubt and/or who reads emails on ur cable online account anyway??). Said I didn't get it and he put my rate back down through my current term in June.

Then I got transferred to a girl in the equipment service, and she was sweet. She tried to help me reset my main box cause I had issues with it recording (first time having this type of issue since Ive had them). Couldn't do it cause I was in my office IMing, and my main box is in the living room. So that got cumbersome so just had her set up a tech to come out the next morning. Of course it was a 4-5 hr window, but who doesn't do that. Asked her to put a note in there to try to come out early, cause a meeting close to the higher end (in case it was an issue that would take awhile to fix), she did, and I ended up being the techs 2nd stop. Took 20mins for him to change out the main box, and reset all the other boxes I have. He also admired the wiring work the guy who set-up my whole system. Real flush along the floor boards, and door frames etc. Barely notice it. That's the one thing I did notice about the techs and that's some are more experienced than others, so that can suck if u get one that is more a newbie. I had that issue with the original set-up now that I'm thinking about it, but the 2nd guy who did the admirable wiring was really good. The tech before he left also told me to save his # to call him directly if I'm having any more issues with the fix instead of going through the CS #. So that was cool.

Uverse is more expensive then other options but I like what they offer. My sis, and the 'rents both have either Comcast or directv and I cant stand watching tv when I'm at either house. Mainly cause the Guide page is so hard to get through. No order, and all just mixed in together. Uverse guide is very simple. I stay in the HD channels which for me is 1000+. They do a good job of lumping similar type channels, so that's good. I like all he DVr features like the one poster said too. On demand is there too, but can't fast forward through the quick commercials which mainly are for other shows on the network. Some networks don't have on deman in HD though, so that sux but no biggie and who knows who's fault that is anyway.

Anyway, with that all said, service is going to be good or bad with any cable company. I approach them nice though, and not one of those "customer is always right" type of people. For the cable service u should be happy, and they r carrying the SEC network. Now I don't have issues with my Internet at whatever speed it is I have it at. So that's good, so if the speed is good enough for u then u should be good there. Now the whole door to door sales guy deal is a different story...could have been sold a way worse service though. Now u just got to teach ur wife to say "sorry I have no clue about what my husbands needs are, so can't make any changes. Come back or leave ur # and I'll give him the details. Have a nice day.". There is a reason why the 3-day door salesman law was created in the mid-1900s or whenever.

Oh and the girl I was IMing with trying to reset my box gave me a $10 credit on my bill "for my troubles," and I didn't even ask for anything.

*i really do think service quality is going to be a regional/area deal. So keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Same service though. The delivery method for each can be different depending on the area you are in. What can be FTTP (I agree the best case scenario) in one area for Verizon could be FTTN and converted to a bonded copper line in another. Completely depends on the resources they have available to them in the areas. The delivery method could affect your speeds, the number of HD streams you are capabale of etc.

Either of them should be able to tell you your transport you would be working off of. FTTP is by far preferred, but I've seen bonded speeds and performance as well. Still very good.

Yes, still the same service(Fiber-optic), I wasn't arguing that.

The reliability is a plant issue, more or less depends where you live. I'm about 4000 feet from the U-Verse vrad, and the internet was absolute crap. I did like their TV setup more.

All in all it comes down to location, as the price difference is negligible in the long run.

I don't foresee missing all that much College Football. I have CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC all over the air and have ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN360 on the Roku. I'll be at the home games, anyway.

Plus, if a game I don't get really means that much to me, I'll be at a bar or a friend's place.

Don't know many, if any, TV stations broadcasting in 1080p 23.98. And honestly, on TV monitors you aren't going to notice the difference btwn 720p, 1080p and 1080i

VN Store

Back