AT&T Outage

They're claiming it was a "local service provider" somewhere (Wisconsin maybe?) that caused the problem. So, now they know how to bring down communication, just disable the local service providers.

I find it funny people talking bad about AT&T when it was just every provider in the area. In my family we have all three major providers and the only people with no problems were the ones in the middle of nowhere.

However, as a person who has worked for Verizon and AT&T, as well as repairing phones and computers for a living and fun, I can say it is extremely unlikely the problems we were having. It isn't that we all lost service. It's how it happened.

My sister and brother in law have verizon. My brother in law couldn't make phone calls, my sister couldn't receive them, everything else was fine. My mother is on my AT&T plan, I couldn't send or receive texts, she had 0 problems at any point. My boss at work has sprint. He had no problems, his wife couldn't call or text or do anything.

Losing service is not an issue, towers are down. Multiple companies losing it isn't an issue, towers are down. But having different problems within the same company, different issues in the same area, or even on the same plan? That's not logical on any technological level honestly. Very peculiar indeed.

I find it funny people talking bad about AT&T when it was just every provider in the area. In my family we have all three major providers and the only people with no problems were the ones in the middle of nowhere.

However, as a person who has worked for Verizon and AT&T, as well as repairing phones and computers for a living and fun, I can say it is extremely unlikely the problems we were having. It isn't that we all lost service. It's how it happened.

My sister and brother in law have verizon. My brother in law couldn't make phone calls, my sister couldn't receive them, everything else was fine. My mother is on my AT&T plan, I couldn't send or receive texts, she had 0 problems at any point. My boss at work has sprint. He had no problems, his wife couldn't call or text or do anything.

Losing service is not an issue, towers are down. Multiple companies losing it isn't an issue, towers are down. But having different problems within the same company, different issues in the same area, or even on the same plan? That's not logical on any technological level honestly. Very peculiar indeed.

It was the NSA. They were uninstalling their recording devices per the court order.

I'd say I am surprised at the whole incident but at this point I think regardless of your carrier we're all ultimately using the same equipment.

Every 30 minutes my phone received the texts that hadn't yet come in, but other than that, there was nothing for me for hours (AT&T)

They're claiming it was a "local service provider" somewhere (Wisconsin maybe?) that caused the problem. So, now they know how to bring down communication, just disable the local service providers.

There have been lots of terrorist type of runs around the country for at least a few years where people are clearly testing our infrastructure. They still never solved a case in California where someone cut through fiber optic lines and destroyed transformers at a substation causing 2.2 million in damages. The FBI brought in Navy Seals to help with the investigation and the seals noticed rock formations that would indicate the site had been staked out by well-trained people showing where to shoot from without being noticed.

And then there's this:
FBI: Middle Eastern Men Intimidating U.S. Military Families In Colorado & Wyoming « CBS Denver

AT&T lost a core switch in the Nashville data center and failover, well, failed. Impacted WAN links all over the Southeast.

They had to rebuild the core switch from scratch, which for something of this magnitude, was not a fast process, to say the least.

We got an email the other day letting us know that our att Internet would be down today.

This happened a couple years ago on att. More localized, but I don't think it was a terrorist plot. Imo

Wow. Just heard on news that a FOC was cut on the Tn/KY boarder causing the outage.

They didn't say how, though.

Wow. Just heard on news that a FOC was cut to the Tn/KY boarder causing the outage.

They didn't say how, though.

I know a guy that cut a FOC once with a trackhoe.
1.1 million dollars later, his insurance company canceled him.

I know a guy that cut a FOC once with a trackhoe.
1.1 million dollars later, his insurance company canceled him.
Back in the mid 80s, we used 4- 300ft rolls to connect Launch control center to 4/4 nuclear missile launchers. Those rolls then cost 100k, and they only had three lines in each one.

Our Verizon phones just lost an hour. Must be resetting something. Had to power off and back on to fix it.

AT&T lost a core switch in the Nashville data center and failover, well, failed. Impacted WAN links all over the Southeast.

They had to rebuild the core switch from scratch, which for something of this magnitude, was not a fast process, to say the least.

Knoxville news reported this evening the problem was caused by a cable being cut at a cell tower near thr TN - KY border.

Knoxville news reported this evening the problem was caused by a cable being cut at a cell tower near thr TN - KY border.

That's not the story they were telling their major customers. ;)

That's not the story they were telling their major customers. ;)

I was just posting what was being reported. Per reports, the phone companies have not confirmed this. They are saying it was a hardware related issue without going into details.

Why a massive cell phone outage hit the Southeast - Aug. 5, 2015

Buddy Rogers, spokesman for the Kentucky Division of Emergency Management, told CNNMoney that a fiber-optic cable belonging to AT&T was cut along the Kentucky-Tennessee border Tuesday.
He wasn't yet sure how or why the line was cut -- it could have been vandalism or a raccoon. Kentucky's Commonwealth Office of Technology is investigating.

VN Store

Back