Arti-turf at Commonwealth

coming along!

web_CWS_6-4-15_18_cw.jpg

Looks good!

I like the alternating green colors every ten yards but i wouldn't have made the 40-50 yard sections the same. Other than that, it lookshows really sharp.

Our field looked like that last sseason.

The idea of Kentucky ever making it big in football is impossible for me to wrap my mind around. Technically, they should be able to become another South Carolina or Arkansas in any given year where they find success but I look at Kentucky and their stadium and say to myself "man, they're never gonna be good in football". I don't know why I feel that way, but I do. I'll have to see it before I believe it. Their recruiting has picked up but I get the feeling it won't change much. I think Bob's brother is "meh" as a coach in comparison to Bob. He's recruiting based off his last name and not anything he's actually done. Unless Kentucky gets a proven coach(maybe Mark will become that guy), they'll always be one step above Vanderbilt, nothing else. I just saw that Mark thinks Kentucky needs to up their game to the level of Louisville. I mean, you play in the SEC and your goal is to be like a team who dominated a terrible conference? Louisville is 6-6 team in the SEC on average. And if they were in the SEC, probably less because they wouldn't pimp their win column out with a bunch of wins over garbage. They'd be on the level of Kentucky. This is what Kentucky aspires to be like though apparently, what they currently are.

I think Kentucky could be successful. We all saw what Jimmy Frank did with Vanderbilt. Mark can recruit. He won't have much success in the southern rrecruiting grounds (GA, Florida Louisiana) but I think he could do some solid work in Indiana Ohio & possibly Michigan.

I like the alternating green colors every ten yards but i wouldn't have made the 40-50 yard sections the same. Other than that, it lookshows really sharp.

yeah I agree with that about the 40/50 part and the other end zone with nothing looks better than the one with Kentucky on it.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around 'arti-turf.' Why? Did someone in the brain-trust at KY say 'hey, I got an idea - carpet covered concrete!' I know we did it at Neyland years ago - heck, I even hit the 'dirt' on it after a game one time when we were playing around (and it hurt), but we got over it.

I thought the same thing but the UK logo will go on at midfield. I guess they wanted both sides to match.

It is hard to see right now, but hey are finally investing in football with an AD who values all the sports, not just basketball.

The idea of Kentucky ever making it big in football is impossible for me to wrap my mind around. Technically, they should be able to become another South Carolina or Arkansas in any given year where they find success but I look at Kentucky and their stadium and say to myself "man, they're never gonna be good in football". I don't know why I feel that way, but I do. I'll have to see it before I believe it. Their recruiting has picked up but I get the feeling it won't change much. I think Bob's brother is "meh" as a coach in comparison to Bob. He's recruiting based off his last name and not anything he's actually done. Unless Kentucky gets a proven coach(maybe Mark will become that guy), they'll always be one step above Vanderbilt, nothing else. I just saw that Mark thinks Kentucky needs to up their game to the level of Louisville. I mean, you play in the SEC and your goal is to be like a team who dominated a terrible conference? Louisville is 6-6 team in the SEC on average. And if they were in the SEC, probably less because they wouldn't pimp their win column out with a bunch of wins over garbage. They'd be on the level of Kentucky. This is what Kentucky aspires to be like though apparently, what they currently are.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around 'arti-turf.' Why? Did someone in the brain-trust at KY say 'hey, I got an idea - carpet covered concrete!' I know we did it at Neyland years ago - heck, I even hit the 'dirt' on it after a game one time when we were playing around (and it hurt), but we got over it.

Northernmost field in the SEC that was very dead-looking and slick in November, leading to injuries and slowed-down offense. It also enables them to practice in Commonwealth, which they never could do before now.

I think that they've made pretty big improvements since the "cover concrete with astro-turf" days.

Last edited:
1. Those are five yard differentials.
2. It's lawnmower striping, not completely different shades.
3. The 40-40 change is every five yards including the 45-50 being different on each side.

Misread your original post. Sorry.

Did you like how the field looked during the O&W game

The field will look really nice but they need to "Win" on it or else it really ain't going to matter.

Misread your original post. Sorry.

Did you like how the field looked during the O&W game

I was confused and didnt know where you coming from.

From the TV the field looked good. It was spring and fresh. I'm really not overly concerned with field aesthetics anyway, but this is a nice, lighthearted topic on a board filled with bad stuff. I like lawn striping certain looks into the field, I just think a twenty yard stretch of the same color looks weird when the rest is alternating every ten yards. Maybe it will look better when they place the UK logo in. But I also hope UT keeps a natural field regardless of how beat up it might get due to weather and a season of use.

Last edited:
Oh Crap! They installed the logo upside down! :)

I think it makes the 45 to 45 dark green on dark green look fine.

Now let's see if they can put the KENTUCKY letters on in the right order. :birgits_giggle:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-05-at-9.47.16-AM-600x430.png

Oh Crap! They installed the logo upside down! :)

I think it makes the 45 to 45 dark green on dark green look fine.

Now let's see if they can put the KENTUCKY letters on in the right order. :birgits_giggle:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-05-at-9.47.16-AM-600x430.png

It definitely helps the dark green stretch.

The field will look really nice but they need to "Win" on it or else it really ain't going to matter.

Good morning to you, too, Josh. I think there's one more bowl of cereal that you haven't pissed in - the Vandy thread. Have at it.

Good morning to you, too, Josh. I think there's one more bowl of cereal that you haven't pissed in - the Vandy thread. Have at it.

I wasn't bashing. I actually complimented your guy's field. I'm just saying, any school can make their facilities look nice but W's is what matters the most. In this case, Mark Stoops #1 priority should be more W's and not just looks. Same goes for Butch Jones and Tennessee.

I wasn't bashing. I actually complimented your guy's field. I'm just saying, any school can make their facilities look nice but W's is what matters the most. In this case, Mark Stoops #1 priority should be more W's and not just looks. Same goes for Butch Jones and Tennessee.

I bet Stoops has never even thought of that. Like ever. Never in his whole coaching career.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back