Ariel Howard tentatively set to visit TN?

The Boneyard: Big News on the Bulldog Athletic Front

Anriel Howard likely down to Miss State and South Carolina for a transfer. I wonder how Gary and Vic’s brotherhood will be tested if anything. Also Promise Taylor on their radar for MSU which is pretty weird considering they just signed two top 75 centers both above 6’5”.

Is Carter more of a high post player? If so, two of the three would be on the court at the same time, so a rotation of 3 of comparable size and skill would be an asset for Vic.

Being able to pound teams on the boards is a great team to have. Even when you miss shots they are there to put them back in the basket. In several games we lost we got pounded on the boards with teams getting shots until they made one. You don't have to shoot an amazing percentage if you are getting plus 20 shots per game over the opponent.
I think rebounding may again be a weakness with Tennessee. Davis is really the only player that goes after the ball hard on misses. Hopefully Green and KK will be a lot better than Russell was in preventing the offensive rebound.
Games that come to mind that we lost because of offensive rebounding are LSU, Notre Dame, Texas A&M first game, and Bama.

Reactions: 2 people
Being able to pound teams on the boards is a great team to have. Even when you miss shots they are there to put them back in the basket. In several games we lost we got pounded on the boards with teams getting shots until they made one. You don't have to shoot an amazing percentage if you are getting plus 20 shots per game over the opponent.
I think rebounding may again be a weakness with Tennessee. Davis is really the only player that goes after the ball hard on misses. Hopefully Green and KK will be a lot better than Russell was in preventing the offensive rebound.
Games that come to mind that we lost because of offensive rebounding are LSU, Notre Dame, Texas A&M first game, and Bama.

Don't forget Miss State. McCowan outrebounded Russell by +14, with 10 on the offensive side.

If State gets Howard, they will have the two best rebounders from last season. Won't matter much if their guards can't hit outside shots. Launch away and let the posts clean up the glass.

I think Davis will have a harder time rebounding without Russell and Nared there. Whoever they start in the post will need to replace about 18 rpg...not an easy task!

Reactions: 1 person
Don't forget Miss State. McCowan outrebounded Russell by +14, with 10 on the offensive side.

If State gets Howard, they will have the two best rebounders from last season. Won't matter much if their guards can't hit outside shots. Launch away and let the posts clean up the glass.

I think Davis will have a harder time rebounding without Russell and Nared there. Whoever they start in the post will need to replace about 18 rpg...not an easy task!

You don't win with individual numbers, you win with team stats. Especially in rebounding. You have to push this mentality.

Cancel height with speed and efficiency...In a perfect world you want to be better at all 3,,But, win any two of the battles and you usually dictate the games flow, matchups, etc.

Reactions: 2 people
You don't win with individual numbers, you win with team stats. Especially in rebounding. You have to push this mentality.

Cancel height with speed and efficiency...In a perfect world you want to be better at all 3,,But, win any two of the battles and you usually dictate the games flow, matchups, etc.

I agree, but we've seen that boxing out and being speedy and efficient on the glass has been a deficiency for Tennessee for years. You don't correct that overnight.

Is Carter more of a high post player? If so, two of the three would be on the court at the same time, so a rotation of 3 of comparable size and skill would be an asset for Vic.

Both videos I have seen of their recruits they were back to the basket clogging up the lane big girls. Promise Taylor also fits this mold but I guess they see the growth of McCowan and that would get anyone excited. But McCowan was surrounded by 4 guards essentially to provide proper spacing. Vic used to play two low post players but the ear before last but things got clogged. When I think back to McCowan I feel bad for her when she missed that layup in the national Championship game to put them up and then ND came down to take the lead. Not saying they would of won but that was a shot she hit thousands of time before and she was shooting 72% in the tourney.

No the starters don’t need to replace that production the TEAM does. Now where that comes from I don’t know.... i dunno about Davis. If she increases anything like her freshman to sophomore years in college like she did high school with learning the game and getting stronger she will be ok. I think she averages close 9 rebounds again next year. When she goes after the rebounds not many can hang with her it’s all about her aggressive nature. She is the least of my worries (besides her getting an injury God forbid) of all the moving parts next year.

They will have three players that are 6'5 and above. We have 6'4 6'5 hopefully we can land some. but MS state knows they have to keep talent any way possible.

One of the 2 will be transferring out should Promise Taylor chooses Miss State.

I would put my money on Carter to do so as her decision was decided for her and I don't think that was her choice. We shall see. Especially if Taylor and Howard are both allowed to play right away (which more than likely they both will).

Yes another one I forgot and probably more. We were neither a good shooting team or rebounding team against the better teams. You must be one or the other and better to be both. When you are neither you lose to better competition that knows how to board and get second chance points.

Yes another one I forgot and probably more. We were neither a good shooting team or rebounding team against the better teams. You must be one or the other and better to be both. When you are neither you lose to better competition that knows how to board and get second chance points.

That we have been terrible on defense is a bigger problem!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back