Are Tennessee's WR's the deepest unit in the country?

Jpcisco

According to bleacherreport they are. What do you guys think? I also think Tennessee's QB group could be in Bama's spot. I think Hooker is as good as Young and Milton is the most talented backup in the country. Add in Tayven as well.

Not sure why it won't post the link. Here is the write up.

1. TENNESSEE'S WR'S
Much like the Buckeyes, Tennessee lost its alpha receiver before the meat of the season even started when Cedric Tillman—a player several think will be one of the top five receivers in next year's draft— suffered a high ankle sprain against Akron.

It hasn't mattered one bit for QB Hendon Hooker and Co.

The third-ranked Vols have the nation's No. 5 passing attack and are first in total offense and second in scoring offense, and that's against a schedule that has featured four ranked opponents in the team's first six games. By comparison, no other squad in the Top Five has played more than two ranked opponents.

Nothing has stopped Tennessee's offense, though. When Tillman went down, coach Josh Heupel inserted senior Ramel Keyton, who has 15 catches for 280 yards and a touchdown.

During last weekend's monumental upset of Alabama in which UT exorcized 15 years of demons with a 52-49 last-second win, Jalin Hyatt tied an SEC record with five receiving touchdowns. For the season, he leads the nation with 10 scoring receptions and has 33 catches for 593 yards.

USC transfer Bru McCoy has been a huge weapon, especially in big-play situations and when getting yards after the catch, amassing 22 catches for 389 yards and a pair of scores. Before he went down in his third game, Tillman had 17 grabs for 246 yards and a touchdown.

Hooker distributes the ball to weapons all over the field, and when Tillman comes back (likely for Kentucky on October 29), the Vols will have just one more star pass-catcher. This is the deepest, most productive unit in the country.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the Vols are a close #1 receiving corps. OSU is a very close second.

As far as qb, Hooker is a step behind Bryce and maybe tied with Stroud in the Heisman. If he puts up
great numbers against UGA, that changes. If Hooker wants to attend the Heisman gala in December, he can't afford any off game, including this week. He needs to avg 350-400 total yds and 3 TD's each week to have a good chance.

Not sure about WR and Bryce is very good so its close between him and Hendron.

But Joe Milton >>>> than that TE bammer has as backup QB. No question we have the better room IMO.

Reactions: Jpcisco
Personally, I think the Vols are a close #1 receiving corps. OSU is a very close second.

As far as qb, Hooker is a step behind Bryce and maybe tied with Stroud in the Heisman. If he puts up
great numbers against UGA, that changes. If Hooker wants to attend the Heisman gala in December, he can't afford any off game, including this week. He needs to avg 350-400 total yds and 3 TD's each week to have a good chance.
I have it backwards from you, Stroud first Hooker second ahead of the rest.

The reason I don't have Bryce higher up is because he missed a game and that means a lot.

"deepest unit"

mgid:arc:imageassetref:mtv.com:162a9c9a-dfba-11ec-a53e-164563049251

Our WRs are living the dream, a Coach who is great creating mismatch for them, a QB who can get them ball and fans that love them

I think Ohio State has the best WR group in the nation and that will be reflected in the draft, but UT certainly has some players! Hartline is a heckuva coach; since 2017 Ohio State has put a bunch of great receivers into the league

Hard to argue otherwise - 4 great receivers plus Fant. All can be deployed at the same time.

From what I’ve seen is we’ve got more great receivers sitting on the bench just waiting on their turn to show what they can really do.

I think Ohio State has the best WR group in the nation and that will be reflected in the draft, but UT certainly has some players! Hartline is a heckuva coach; since 2017 Ohio State has put a bunch of great receivers into the league

they haven't played anyone and at years end maybe 2 top 25 wins.then the playoff's come and per usual they get exposed as frauds.

Why do you think that?
In their head to head matchup:

Passing yardage…..sure 455 to Hookers 385.

However Young needed 52 attempts to get those yards. If Hooker had thrown the ball 52 times…….he would have gained 680 yards…….yes 680 yards because of the % difference.

Hooker had 12.83 yards per attempt. Young had 8.75 yards per attempt.

Hooker had 18.33 yards per completion. Young had 13 yards per completion.

Hooker completed 70% of his passes. Young completed 67.3%.

Hooker ran for 56 yards. Young ran for -4 yards.

Hooker had 441 total yards on 44 plays at 10 yards per play. Young had 451 yards on 56 plays at 8 yards per play.

Hooker had 5 TD’s and 1 int with a rating of 94.3
Young had 2 TD’s no int’s with a rating of 89.4

Season stats:
Young: 125 of 186 at 67.2%, 1657 yards at 8.9 per attempt & 13.2 per completion, 16 TD’s with 3 Int’s with a 167.2 rating. Young also has 150 rushing yards with 3 td’s, with a total of 301 yards per game (6 games).

Hooker: 119 of 170 at 70%, 1817 yards at 10.7 yards per attempt & 15.3 per completion, 15 TD’s with 1 int, with a rating of 187.7. Hooker has rushed for 287 & 3 TD’s, with a total of 351 yards per game (6 games).

Hooker won the head to head. Hooker had better stats in the head to head. Both gives Hooker the Heisman moment. Hooker has better overall stats. Hooker is currently on an undefeated team which is ranked higher.

So how exactly in the world is Hooker a “step behind Young”?

From what I’ve seen is we’ve got more great receivers sitting on the bench just waiting on their turn to show what they can really do.
Exactly. Squirrel White, Walker Merrill, Callaway, Kaleb Webb. Incredibly talented. All bring something different.

Reactions: Ratvol
they haven't played anyone and at years end maybe 2 top 25 wins.then the playoff's come and per usual they get exposed as frauds.

The discussion is the WR unit though Just watching them play they all pass the eye test and based on the past several years of NFL play they will be the real deal in the league

Reactions: posivol
According to bleacherreport they are. What do you guys think? I also think Tennessee's QB group could be in Bama's spot. I think Hooker is as good as Young and Milton is the most talented backup in the country. Add in Tayven as well.

Not sure why it won't post the link. Here is the write up.

1. TENNESSEE'S WR'S
Much like the Buckeyes, Tennessee lost its alpha receiver before the meat of the season even started when Cedric Tillman—a player several think will be one of the top five receivers in next year's draft— suffered a high ankle sprain against Akron.

It hasn't mattered one bit for QB Hendon Hooker and Co.

The third-ranked Vols have the nation's No. 5 passing attack and are first in total offense and second in scoring offense, and that's against a schedule that has featured four ranked opponents in the team's first six games. By comparison, no other squad in the Top Five has played more than two ranked opponents.

Nothing has stopped Tennessee's offense, though. When Tillman went down, coach Josh Heupel inserted senior Ramel Keyton, who has 15 catches for 280 yards and a touchdown.

During last weekend's monumental upset of Alabama in which UT exorcized 15 years of demons with a 52-49 last-second win, Jalin Hyatt tied an SEC record with five receiving touchdowns. For the season, he leads the nation with 10 scoring receptions and has 33 catches for 593 yards.

USC transfer Bru McCoy has been a huge weapon, especially in big-play situations and when getting yards after the catch, amassing 22 catches for 389 yards and a pair of scores. Before he went down in his third game, Tillman had 17 grabs for 246 yards and a touchdown.

Hooker distributes the ball to weapons all over the field, and when Tillman comes back (likely for Kentucky on October 29), the Vols will have just one more star pass-catcher. This is the deepest, most productive unit in the country.
I think so. We also have 4 OL coming back next year.

Why do you think that?
In their head to head matchup:

Passing yardage…..sure 455 to Hookers 385.

However Young needed 52 attempts to get those yards. If Hooker had thrown the ball 52 times…….he would have gained 680 yards…….yes 680 yards because of the % difference.

Hooker had 12.83 yards per attempt. Young had 8.75 yards per attempt.

Hooker had 18.33 yards per completion. Young had 13 yards per completion.

Hooker completed 70% of his passes. Young completed 67.3%.

Hooker ran for 56 yards. Young ran for -4 yards.

Hooker had 441 total yards on 44 plays at 10 yards per play. Young had 451 yards on 56 plays at 8 yards per play.

Hooker had 5 TD’s and 1 int with a rating of 94.3
Young had 2 TD’s no int’s with a rating of 89.4

Season stats:
Young: 125 of 186 at 67.2%, 1657 yards at 8.9 per attempt & 13.2 per completion, 16 TD’s with 3 Int’s with a 167.2 rating. Young also has 150 rushing yards with 3 td’s, with a total of 301 yards per game (6 games).

Hooker: 119 of 170 at 70%, 1817 yards at 10.7 yards per attempt & 15.3 per completion, 15 TD’s with 1 int, with a rating of 187.7. Hooker has rushed for 287 & 3 TD’s, with a total of 351 yards per game (6 games).

Hooker won the head to head. Hooker had better stats in the head to head. Both gives Hooker the Heisman moment. Hooker has better overall stats. Hooker is currently on an undefeated team which is ranked higher.

So how exactly in the world is Hooker a “step behind Young”?

Just my opinion, but I think Young is slightly better than Hooker. Young’s ability to improvise and extend a broken play is second to none. Hooker can’t improvise as well as Young, and Young is slightly more accurate on midrange throws as well. Having said that, there’s no other QB I want in Heupel’s offense than Hooker.

VN Store

Back