Are people really already giving up on Worley??

Can someone tell me how Worley won the Gatorade National Player of the Year? (which they don't hand out lightly)
Was it the cupcake high school teams he was playing against in South Carolina?
Was it when Dooley burned his redshirt when he wasn't ready?

I mean Peyton Manning, Emmitt Smith, Matt Barkley and Tim Couch won this award and they had somewhat of decent college careers.

It is mind boggling on how Worley has not lived up to his hype.

I coach here in SC and I saw Worley play a few times and I will say that he wasn't playing against any cupcakes. Worley had good players around him and he played for a very good program. His high school (Northwestern) is where current Oklahoma State QB commit Mason Rudolph plays. Northwestern is a great program and high school football in SC is very good.

Now I can't and won't speak on Worley and his time now. There are a lot more factors that go into coaches and their decision on who plays. Butch knows what he is doing and I for one will not say I want this guy or that guy to play, but instead I will support whoever the coach decides to play.

Go Vols!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Worley is serviceable at best. It is what it is. He didn't win the USC game, North, Pig, and our RB's did. That said, he is tougher than nails.

Who made that happen? Most everyone loves the 2nd or 3rd string when things are stagnant or mediocre.

If I see one more poster say alabama D gave Dobbs very little pressure imma punch someone. Dude got blitzed at least 3 times.

Reactions: 2 people
If I see one more poster say alabama D gave Dobbs very little pressure imma punch someone. Dude got blitzed at least 3 times.

I think Dobbs deserves the chance based on what he did. They did blitz some ...but played very deep and very soft coverage on the underside . They were willing to give up underneath to run the play clock . He should have completed some passes. tI will be interesting to see how he does at a competitive point in the game .

He did a great job running and gunned a couple in there when he needed to.

Worley and Dobbs both wear the orange. I will support both and it is good to have healthy competition. I will say that I was excited with what I saw from Dobbs yesterday. He is a running threat, had several very good passes that I have not seen from Worley this year....and just so calm and poised for such a hostile environment. I appreciate all of our players and I will support Coach Jones in his decision. I will be surprised if Dobbs doesn't start.

We all want a dual threat QB, one who can run. I think it's the one consistent wish from our fans.

I want a QB that can win ..not necessarily one type or the other. Seems like everybody is using a variant of the running QB ...it doesn't mean everybody is winning . Every game features 1 loser .

Is this a joke?

The man led us to our first upset in 4 years and he doesn't play well with an injury against the #1 team in the country and everyone is ready to see him benched??

Good grief, are people stupid or just irrational? Or both?

Yes, starting with you. Worley is not a good QB. If you can't see the blatantly obvious difference in talent between Dobbs an Worley you are the idiot. It's a read option system and Dobbs was recruited for it. Worley was not.

If Dobbs goes 5 for 12 like he did aganist Bama.... aganist Mizzou the 1st half will everybody still be with him. Thats not an outstanding QBR. Just don't jump ship if things don't go well. Starting a game on the road has a different dynamic than going in 2nd half behind 35 -0, no pressure. Hope he does well but if he doesn't please stay calm and don't start yelling for Ferg.

I'll preface myself by saying that I was a proponent of keeping the red-shirt for both of the QBs. It just made sense to me. But now that the clock is ticking, I think you play the freshman. No disrespect to Worley. He's A VFL in my book. It's just the circumstances of the situation.

1. Dobbs - while green - is far more talented. He throws the ball effortlessly and moves with grace. Worley is far more pedestrian out there.

2. He need the reps. Dobbs - or someone like him - is the future of the team. Worley is simply a stop gap during this transition. I hate for for the guy. He seems like a great kid, but he almost certainly gets beat out in spring next year anyway.

3. There's no film on Dobbs and no one really knows what to expect from him. It seems obvious that the offense would look different and his talents would create different opportunities for plays. That puts a wrinkle in for the last part of this year that could help win now.

4. He's CBJ's guy. All things equal, he probably gets the nod.

Butch seemed suprised in his post game about Dobbs performance . Which tells me a few things....namely that Butch thought he had the best guy on the field with Worley. Which makes me wonder a few things and I am interested to see how the coach handles:
- Is Dobbs not showing up well in practice ?

What you're missing here is that Dobbs was a redshirted freshman. There were no plans to have him play this year. So he got his reps, but he wasn't part of the competition to be the starter. He's probably been great in practice, but the plan has always been to keep him redshirted. Only the injuries brought us to this point where he's in the mix.
So I'm sure Butch was surprised how well he did. Heck, all of us were. Now the redshirt has been burned, he is in the mix. And boy did he look solid in the absolutely worst test he could be thrown into. So I have no problem considering him as a starter.

Yes, starting with you. Worley is not a good QB. If you can't see the blatantly obvious difference in talent between Dobbs an Worley you are the idiot. It's a read option system and Dobbs was recruited for it. Worley was not.

If healthy, Worley will likely start because right now he's a better QB than Dobbs.

Why did you have to put that "Worley is not a good QB" in there? Everything else besides the "idiot" comment was good.

Worley IS a good QB who has improved. He probably lacks the natural talent of Dobbs. He has also done all the bleeding as the brand new receivers cut their teeth.

I will support either guy. Both bring skills to the table. Both are capable of being VERY good QB's.

The one thing I hope to see this weekend more than any other is more QB runs regardless of who starts. Worley now has a back up or else Dobbs does. There's no more concern about what to do if the starter pulls it on the read option and gets hurt. I am 100% convinced by the way questions were answered and the many times Worley had a wide open running lane that he was TOLD in no uncertain terms not to run.

Guys... I thought Dobbs looked good moving around and throwing. He had one good run. But I am not that impressed with a 5/12 performance. Some of those incompletions were because he threw to a covered receiver. Against Bama's starters, he likely doesn't get off as easy as just 7 incompletions.

He showed some good signs but he didn't come close to lighting up Bama's back ups.

Is this a joke?

The man led us to our first upset in 4 years and he doesn't play well with an injury against the #1 team in the country and everyone is ready to see him benched??

Good grief, are people stupid or just irrational? Or both?

He didn't lead us to an upset against USC. On the contrary, we upset USC in spite of having a pathetic sub-par Div. 2 talent at QB.

If Worley comes back to play at all except as a backup this year, then that is a colossal mistake by Butch. We need to get Dobbs ready for next year, and we'd be totally wasting time continuing with Worley, unless there is an injury or something.

Worley reminds me of Weatherford at Florida State for some reason. Neither had a great arm. Both had above average decision making. They both have similar throwing motions. It won't be long before someone challenges Worley as the starter.

Guys... I thought Dobbs looked good moving around and throwing. He had one good run. But I am not that impressed with a 5/12 performance. Some of those incompletions were because he threw to a covered receiver. Against Bama's starters, he likely doesn't get off as easy as just 7 incompletions.

He showed some good signs but he didn't come close to lighting up Bama's back ups.
Most will want to see Dobbs performance as more than it was. That's okay.
To be fair the 5/12 included 2 drops which hit the hands and one tipped ball.
I would have been surprised that a true frosh in that situation wouldn't have thrown a couple into coverage.
The truth is that he showed as much poise or more than a guy who has 10 starts and he adds the much needed ability to run which if game planned adds a wrinkle that the next opponent will find it harder to scheme for.
Even though ranked the next 2 opponents don't present the intimidation factor that the Elephant did.
Coach him up this week and play the youngster.
30 minutes of film to game plan for.

He didn't lead us to an upset against USC. On the contrary, we upset USC in spite of having a pathetic sub-par Div. 2 talent at QB.

If Worley comes back to play at all except as a backup this year, then that is a colossal mistake by Butch. We need to get Dobbs ready for next year, and we'd be totally wasting time continuing with Worley, unless there is an injury or something.

A few others have tried to use this argument in this thread and it's pretty weak. Worley was 19/34 with ZERO turnovers. He also threaded a needle on his TD pass and on all 3 of North's big catches that game he put the ball where only North could get it. I feel like its hard to justify saying he didn't play a huge role in us winning that one.

Also, y'all do realize Worley threw for more yards than Aaron Murray did when we played Georgia, right?

"Pathetic, sub-par, div. 2" QB's don't play a better game than Aaron Murray when they go head-to-head. And especially don't turn right around and have a pretty impressive game against SC the next week.

........ you kids these days. So scared to look at stats.

If healthy, Worley will likely start because right now he's a better QB than Dobbs.

Why did you have to put that "Worley is not a good QB" in there? Everything else besides the "idiot" comment was good.

Worley IS a good QB who has improved. He probably lacks the natural talent of Dobbs. He has also done all the bleeding as the brand new receivers cut their teeth.

I will support either guy. Both bring skills to the table. Both are capable of being VERY good QB's.

The one thing I hope to see this weekend more than any other is more QB runs regardless of who starts. Worley now has a back up or else Dobbs does. There's no more concern about what to do if the starter pulls it on the read option and gets hurt. I am 100% convinced by the way questions were answered and the many times Worley had a wide open running lane that he was TOLD in no uncertain terms not to run.

I believe Worley will start if he is healthy. I also believe that since the red shirt has come off Dobbs and the way he preformed against Alabama, that Worley could be pulled quickly if he is under performing and the offense needs a spark. The leash has become much shorter. JMO

This is Worleys first year as starting QB. He has continued to improve each game IMO. However, if Dobbs starts against Mizzou and leads us to a win, I think it's Dobbs job to lose at that point.

The Worley love that you and that IluvDoubleD's guy have is unexplainable. I think you two have a problem where you are really rooting for the guy and your judgement is extremely clouded. He has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in his career, he has more overthrown or underthrown passes than any UT QB anyone has ever seen. Whether he can't or won't run is irrelevant because.....he isn't running.

Dobbs came in and threw the football better, point blank. If you couldn't see that then you are in denial about it because no possible way would you want Dobbs to be better than your precious Worley. Your 5/12 comment is laughable, even his passes into coverage were perfect and right on target to the point where they were catchable.

The reason Worley doesn't have even more interceptions on the season is because his incompletions are so badly over or underthrown that the defenders don't even have a chance to catch them.

Last edited:
In case you guys are curious, Worley posted a tweet about 45 minutes ago saying "Everything happens for a reason". Have no clue what that means but it is interesting.

VN Store

Back