Are our D linemen undersized?

I literally LOL'd when I read this thread title!

Kahlil McKenzie DT - 6'3 325

Shy Tuttle DT - 6'2 311

Danny O'Brien DT - 6'2 301

Alexis Johnson DT - 6'4 295

Kendal Vickers DT - 6'3 295

Quay Picou - DT - 6'1 280

Jonathan Kongbo DE/DT- 6'6 280

Derek Barnett - DE 6'3 267

Kyle Phillips -DE 6'4 260

Corey Vereen DE - 6'2 260

Yeah we're definitely gaunt at the DL position. :eek:lol:

Barnett is listed at a higher weight than Von Miller and they have comparable roles (different systems, but functionally the role is similar), so I wouldn't consider him to be undersized. I don't see anyone in the two deep who is undersized for our line.
Their roles are in no freaking way similar. If you were to have compared Curt Maggits past role you'd be onto something but Barnett ....just no.

Well, if you read the op then you'd see that the conclusion is we aren't undersized. But I really love when someone doesn't read the entire thread so they don't know everything that's going on and bypass any research me (or anyone that's tried to start a topic to keep us entertained until Thursday) has done. Thanks 🙄

You're incorrect on this as it pertains to our DEs. Just flat out wrong. Like Lamarck's hypothesis of inheritance of acquired characteristics level wrong. If I could economically quantify how wrong you are, you'd have a really solid GDP.

As always, you make the mistake of assuming that any player without protypical, create-a-player-in-Madden, measureables is not up to snuff. But that's not the case. This isn't the JV basketball team's fantasy draft. It's college football.

Anyway, Barnett, Mixon, and Latroy Lewis also have NFL size for a 4-3 DE. The average starting NFL 4-3 DE is 6'3.5 268. Most linemen bulk up a bit after a year or two in the league. As it stands, you're missing 4 DEs on our squad who meet the height requirement: Mixon, Lewis (who, ironically is virtually the exact size as Phillips...just 3 pounds lighter), Taylor, and Smith. (Barnett just misses the cut here by half an inch). Take out Taylor and Smith and all of those guys (also Barnett) are within 12 pounds of the average weight of a starting NFL 4-3 DE.

NFL scouts usually look for a 4-3 DE to ideally have the minimum measureables of 6'3 255 entering the draft. The ideal probably looks something like Robert Quinn at 6'4 265. We have 5 DEs that fall squarely in that range. Smith and Taylor will most likely be in that range with another year or two in the weight room as well.

You're right. He is wrong. But why must you try to destroy someone thats already wrong?

That first paragraph was a complete waste of your intelligence.

Every other paragraph you wrote was more than sufficient to get your point across. Because it was correct more or less.

But the "bossness" of your first paragraph undermines your very valid opinion.

Why do you all spend so much effort hating another person because a difference of opinion??

we have had this discussion before. our current DL is slightly bigger than our 98 team that won and slightly above average for 4-3 SEC last year. I don't care to do the break down again but our scheme doesn't want the biggest guys (cough cough Dooley) SIAP

You're incorrect on this as it pertains to our DEs. Just flat out wrong. Like Lamarck's hypothesis of inheritance of acquired characteristics level wrong. If I could economically quantify how wrong you are, you'd have a really solid GDP.

As always, you make the mistake of assuming that any player without protypical, create-a-player-in-Madden, measureables is not up to snuff. But that's not the case. This isn't the JV basketball team's fantasy draft. It's college football.

Anyway, Barnett, Mixon, and Latroy Lewis also have NFL size for a 4-3 DE. The average starting NFL 4-3 DE is 6'3.5 268. Most linemen bulk up a bit after a year or two in the league. As it stands, you're missing 4 DEs on our squad who meet the height requirement: Mixon, Lewis (who, ironically is virtually the exact size as Phillips...just 3 pounds lighter), Taylor, and Smith. (Barnett just misses the cut here by half an inch). Take out Taylor and Smith and all of those guys (also Barnett) are within 12 pounds of the average weight of a starting NFL 4-3 DE.

NFL scouts usually look for a 4-3 DE to ideally have the minimum measureables of 6'3 255 entering the draft. The ideal probably looks something like Robert Quinn at 6'4 265. We have 5 DEs that fall squarely in that range. Smith and Taylor will most likely be in that range with another year or two in the weight room as well.

Thank you.

You're right. He is wrong. But why must you try to destroy someone thats already wrong?

Every other paragraph you wrote was more than sufficient to get your point across. Because it was correct more or less.

Why do you all spend so much effort hating another person because a difference of opinion??

Some posters are hard to convince so he has to weigh in with a sledge hammer.

Really depends on the scheme, 4-3, v, 3-4. I actually think that we have better size (not players mind you) to run a 3-4. Kongbo and Vickers are ideal 3-4 DE's, Tuttle as well. At nose though only KM and Mosley could come in as a space eater. LB's are where we would be missing out.

In a 4-3, we have a good mix, not ideal, but, I think fits the actual talents of the players better.

FWIW

LOL this coming from the internet tough guy challenging those with differing opinions to fights over in the recruiting forum?

Short answer, no hate intended. I do enjoy screwing around with people on the internet thought, in a twisted way. Especially with guys like D4H who seem completely lacking in self awareness and/or humility. It's an enertaining way to kill time.

If you're too sensitive and soft hearted to handle it, I don't like your chances in those fights you've been alluding to over in the Maleik Gray thread :boxing2:

Edit: Also, this was not a matter of opinion. Someone stated something objectively wrong as a fact and I pointed it out. 7-8 times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back