Are Lance, Chaney & Kippy retained?

JohnWardForever

LT is the one I am most concerned about after he left the CT to come to UT. Lance is a good LB coach and recruiter. We need to keep LT-----the "other" coach crapped on him---IMO. This may be the deal-breaker with CUT----I love Cut, but he isn't the right guy.

I read somewhere that Lance would like to stay. I sure wouldn't mind him sticking around-we need his recruiting abilities.

I would say that if Hammy has any sense, he would let it be known that if the other coaches want to stay, they can and keep their current positions. If any of the remaining coaches want to go, then that's a different issue.

I believe Hamilton plans to keep all coaches who are still under contract...

including Reaves

yes, they should all be retained. they are all under contract. It would be a shame if they let Lance go.

All should be kept LT excellent coach and recruiter, Cregg is a great O-line coach and who knows how good Chaney could be if he were running the Offense instead of just being given a title and consulted on plays.

Other than Alabama having an opening at LB coach, other potential destinations for Lance Thompson to go are dwindling. I'm not saying that whoever the new HC will be should use that to their advantage, but I think it improves his odds of staying unless he's pushed out the door. I hope he's retained. Good recruiter, and that's going to be essential.

This could be the sticky issue with Lovie.

If he's looking to leave the League, one reason could be that his GM has been far too involved with what should be his decisions.

We've got to figure out a way to open the door for these guys to be considered, but I don't think we can tell Lovie who he can hire and expect him to come.

You got him the keys and hope for the best for these coaches. They're all qualified for the respective jobs they seek to retain. Let them stand on their own merit if that becomes a sticking point with Lovie.

Many coaches do want to bring/hire their own staffs, that's an interesting dynamic to this search. We hired this staff at a pretty high salary and then Lane dumped some of them like a bad date so it definitely impacts us and the incoming coach for sure.

It wouldn't surprise me if a couple just didn't mesh with whatever coach comes in and opts to leave themselves.

Btw... if it was going to be Cut, there shouldn't have been option as most accounts indicate he wasn't smart enough to realize these guys are better than the Ropers.

So, I guess it depends on who we're hiring.

Hopefully these guys are the reason Cut is not coming. Imagine replacing Cregg, Thompson and Chaney with Roper, Chavis and Brooks.

At least Kippy would keep this staff which makes him more appealing than Cutcliffe, imo.

Other than Alabama having an opening at LB coach, other potential destinations for Lance Thompson to go are dwindling. I'm not saying that whoever the new HC will be should use that to their advantage, but I think it improves his odds of staying unless he's pushed out the door. I hope he's retained. Good recruiter, and that's going to be essential.

Exactly. I say keep LT, Chaney, Kippy and Cregg---hire Kippy and let him fill out the staff.

I think most of these guys will be retained if they want to stay. The way I understand it, this was the snag with Cutcliffe. He wanted to bring his staff and there wasn't room for them with the guys we currently have. I would rather have any of these guys on our current staff than any Cutcliffe would have brought with him.

I think most of these guys will be retained if they want to stay. The way I understand it, this was the snag with Cutcliffe. He wanted to bring his staff and there wasn't room for them with the guys we currently have. I would rather have any of these guys on our current staff than any Cutcliffe would have brought with him.

There's a HUGE difference between hiring Lovie's staff and hiring Cutcliffe's staff.

Reaves----rotf----nothing like getting messed on by you BIL. Monte must be proud.

Reaves = weak link-------bye bye If I am AD.

I personally think if Reaves wants to stay, sign him to an immediate contract with a crazy buyout(on his end to make sure he is serious about it). He is a good recruiter(was ranked in the Rivals top 25 recruiters nationally while he was at USCjr which would not be easy to do), he's from the SE (went to Appy St), and knows the SEC. I would be more worried about him going to UF (his dad was an All American for the Gators and his sister went there) if they called than going west with our last coach.

I personally think if Reaves wants to stay, sign him to an immediate contract with a crazy buyout(on his end to make sure he is serious about it). He is a good recruiter(was ranked in the Rivals top 25 recruiters nationally while he was at USCjr which would not be easy to do), he's from the SE (went to Appy St), and knows the SEC. I would be more worried about him going to UF (his dad was an All American for the Gators and his sister went there) if they called than going west with our last coach.

Maybe I mis-remembered. :)

I agree 100%. The only way I would want Cut here would be to keep this staff intact while adding a Rodney Garner or an Eddie Gran type for recruiting.

VN Store

Back