Apparently Lesbians are pissed

Come to Mississippi, where believing in Invisible Angry Sky Dude means you can deny other people the ability to adopt, rent, hold a job, etc. based on belief in said Invisible Angry Sky Dude.

The state refuses to acknowledge the Flying Spaghetti Monster (mwbtbhna!).

Employers, property owners and people in general should have the right to associate with whom ever they choose.

No, it’s not equal rights they want. They already have those, they want special rights.

Reactions: 8 people
You aren’t conservative and you weren’t taught to be one if you don’t recognize it. It isn’t that difficult to understand. You either support the Constitution and politicians who uphold or you don’t. Just because politicians like Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell throw that word around constantly doesn’t make them conservatives either

My maternal grandparents were significant in my ideological formation. My grandfather was a tree nursery owner in Middle Tennessee. His education ended in the 8th grade. My grandmother dropped out after 3rd grade. Neither of them ever uttered the words 'conservative' or 'liberal' within earshot of me. I doubt they even thought of them in terms of politics. They probably knew the Constitution existed and that's about it.

The rest of their knowledge - how to run a business, how to keep house, how to handle and care for guns, how to love your neighbor as yourself, and more about the Bible than any preacher has managed to teach me - is what informed who I am today. These quiet, humble, Christ-following grandparents are the foundation of what I consider conservativism to truly be about.

We can hem and haw all day about the interpretation of Text vs. Intent with the Constitution all day, with a few hours of Founders' intentions to go along with it. But there are quite a few parallels with constitutional conservatives and fundamentalist religious zealots: they care far more about how they benefit from a strict interpretation of the document than they do about how we all benefit from it. Strict adherence to the document becomes a fetish, and living in the spirit of the document becomes heresy.

No, I probably don't fit your definition of a conservative any more than I would fit Michele Bachmann's definition of a Christian. I'm ok with that. I follow the Constitution and Christ both as well as I can, and to hell with anyone who is going to tell me I'm not fundamentalist enough.

Reactions: 2 people
Just because politicians like Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell throw that word around constantly doesn’t make them conservatives either

Unfortunately, there's not a Selfish Piece of **** political party we can throw them into along with Pelosi and Reid. I imagine a good percentage of our elected officials would fall into that new party alignment.

Reactions: 1 person
My maternal grandparents were significant in my ideological formation. My grandfather was a tree nursery owner in Middle Tennessee. His education ended in the 8th grade. My grandmother dropped out after 3rd grade. Neither of them ever uttered the words 'conservative' or 'liberal' within earshot of me. I doubt they even thought of them in terms of politics. They probably knew the Constitution existed and that's about it.

The rest of their knowledge - how to run a business, how to keep house, how to handle and care for guns, how to love your neighbor as yourself, and more about the Bible than any preacher has managed to teach me - is what informed who I am today. These quiet, humble, Christ-following grandparents are the foundation of what I consider conservativism to truly be about.

We can hem and haw all day about the interpretation of Text vs. Intent with the Constitution all day, with a few hours of Founders' intentions to go along with it. But there are quite a few parallels with constitutional conservatives and fundamentalist religious zealots: they care far more about how they benefit from a strict interpretation of the document than they do about how we all benefit from it. Strict adherence to the document becomes a fetish, and living in the spirit of the document becomes heresy.

No, I probably don't fit your definition of a conservative any more than I would fit Michele Bachmann's definition of a Christian. I'm ok with that. I follow the Constitution and Christ both as well as I can, and to hell with anyone who is going to tell me I'm not fundamentalist enough.

If politicians followed it as best they could, we wouldn’t be where we are today with everyone pigeon holed into subgroups. I could careless what someone chooses to worship/not worship,love, or ingest neither does the Constitution and that is the crux of this all. If everyone lived by that principle we would be a lot better off

Reactions: 3 people
If politicians followed it as best they could, we wouldn’t be where we are today with everyone pigeon holed into subgroups. I could careless what someone chooses to worship/not worship,love, or ingest neither does the Constitution and that is the crux of this all. If everyone lived by that principle we would be a lot better off

I believe we're both in agreement on this principle.

Unfortunately we are in the minority, I could see the US splitting at some point in the future

Be nice if it became north and south. Even though the north would be richer, South would be like a giant bible belt...and God would likely bless that.

Split into east and west and we get 2 smaller versions of what we have now...with a mixture in both.

Be nice if it became north and south. Even though the north would be richer, South would be like a giant bible belt...and God would likely bless that.

Just because there are many churches doesn't mean we'd deserve greater blessing. The South talks a good religious game, but if you look at how we treat the homeless, the less fortunate, the sick and disabled, the addict, each other, etc. you'd find that we're way off the mark. We much more model the Priest and the Levite leaving Jerusalem than we do the Samaritan heading in.

Just because there are many churches doesn't mean we'd deserve greater blessing. The South talks a good religious game, but if you look at how we treat the homeless, the less fortunate, the sick and disabled, the addict, each other, etc. you'd find that we're way off the mark. We much more model the Priest and the Levite leaving Jerusalem than we do the Samaritan heading in.

Probably right but I will say people are much more willing to help in the South and Midwest as opposed to the Northeast or West Coast from my experiences

Probably right but I will say people are much more willing to help in the South and Midwest as opposed to the Northeast or West Coast from my experiences

My family has found the overall attitude towards help much higher in southern Mississippi than we did in East TN. Random people stop and help much more down here. It was much the same way the time I spent in Oregon (on the east side of the mountains, at least). I would not categorize my time spent in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, or California to be that friendly at all once you get outside of your tight circle of friends and family.

Oh, and do we count Florida as North or South, or is it once you get past a certain city? It seems like the further south you go, the less friendly things get.

Totally agree. I have family in New York, Maryland and California. I will take Southerners any day.

They constantly berate the South. Yet in typical liberal hypocrisy, they want to retire in the South. When asked why, they say they just love the people and the charm.

Reactions: 3 people
Totally agree. I have family in New York, Maryland and California. I will take Southerners any day.

They constantly berate the South. Yet in typical liberal hypocrisy, they want to retire in the South. When asked why, they say they just love the people and the charm.

I believe it's the lack of sweet tea in their diets that causes the crankiness. Even my Canadian friends ask what is wrong with our northerners.

My family has found the overall attitude towards help much higher in southern Mississippi than we did in East TN. Random people stop and help much more down here. It was much the same way the time I spent in Oregon (on the east side of the mountains, at least). I would not categorize my time spent in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, or California to be that friendly at all once you get outside of your tight circle of friends and family.

Oh, and do we count Florida as North or South, or is it once you get past a certain city? It seems like the further south you go, the less friendly things get.

I do not count Florida and West Tennessee as part of the South

The South imo is Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, East Tennessee, Kentucky, Northern Louisiana, East Arkansas, East Texas, Western South and North Carolina, Western Virginia, and West Virginia

The South imo is Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, East Tennessee, Kentucky, Northern Louisiana, East Arkansas, East Texas, Western South and North Carolina, Western Virginia, and West Virginia

I also like making **** up that fits my personality better

Reactions: 5 people

So, let me get this straight, the area confined between the northern and southern borders of TN, east of the MS River and west of Rockwood Mtn., isn’t “the south”?

Lol... but Kentucky and West Virginia are?

Eastern AR? Talk about a wasteland! Place ain’t good for **** but blowing birds out of the sky.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back