OL Trente Jones 6-5, 293

Compare to the following:
Marcus Tatum - 6-6, 254
Nathan Niehaus - 6-6, 255
Ryan Johnson - 6-6, 275
Riley Locklear - 6-5, 285
K'Rojhn Calbert - 6-6, 285
Trey Smith - 6'5, 305

FINALLY, we are getting away from this cutesy "infallible" MAC Spread offense, and we are playing some "Run it down your throat" "dominating the lines" football.

Notice that Butch actually recruited a LINEMAN at 255 lbs, and the SMALLEST Pruitt has offered so far (at least that I've seen) is 265, and he is a HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR.

I cannot tell you how excited I am to see us offering some guys that are going to get us back to playing SEC power football on BOTH sides of the ball!

Reactions: 46 people
I'm also all in favor of returning to a pro style offense. It takes size to win in the SEC, especially in the trenches.

I'm excited about our future.

Reactions: 11 people
And Pruitt is just getting started I'm still very reserved as far as expectations but I'll say this I am very excited to see who he tells to take a walk.

Reactions: 2 people
OL Johncarlo Valentin - 6-3 330
OL Darian Kinnard - 6-6, 315
DT Siaki Ika - 6-3 360
DL Christian Barmore - 6-6, 290

Marcus Tatum - 6-6, 254
Ryan Johnson - 6-6, 275
Trey Smith - 6'5, 305

FINALLY, we are getting away from this cutesy "infallible" MAC Spread offense, and we are playing some "Run it down your throat" "dominating the lines" football.

Notice that Butch actually recruited a LINEMAN at 255 lbs, and the SMALLEST Pruitt has offered so far (at least that I've seen) is 265, and he is a HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR.!

This is quite a bit misleading.

Nathan Niehaus was 17 years old when he signed and was one of the youngest Seniors in his class, which is why he was so small. He really has the prototypical size for an OT; tall with long arms; we knew it was going to take him a few years to grow into his body. He should probably be about 6'6" / 290 - 300 by next season. Many of these recent offers are JUCOs, so you should expect 20 year old OLs to be larger than 18 year old OLs.

You also seem to be deliberately picking out the smaller guys. Ryan Johnson was 6'6" / 290. Drew Richmond was 6'5" / 310. Venzell Boulware 6'4" / 290. If anything, Butch's recruits actually seem to be a bit taller than Pruitt's targets.

It's not exactly like we had a small O-line. Our O-line looked huge against App State in 2016, but App State's D-line still pushed us around. It's not really "size" that was the issue. It was crap coaching and a flawed scheme.

Reactions: 27 people
if you can fill up a OL/DL roster with these sizes and ability...you can do anything you want...:):):)

GO VOLS!

Nathan Niehaus was 17 years old when he signed and was one of the youngest Seniors in his class, which is why he was so small. He really has the prototypical size for an OT; tall with long arms; we knew it was going to take him a few years to grow into his body. He should probably be about 6'6" / 290 - 300 by next season. Many of these recent offers are JUCOs, so you should expect 20 year old OLs to be larger than 18 year old OLs.

You also seem to be deliberately picking out the smaller guys. Ryan Johnson was 6'6" / 290. Drew Richmond was 6'5" / 310. Venzell Boulware 6'4" / 290. If anything, Butch's recruits actually seem to be a bit taller than Pruitt's targets.

It's not exactly like we had a small O-line. Our O-line looked huge against App State in 2016, but App State's D-line still pushed us around. It's not really "size" that was the issue. It was crap coaching and a flawed scheme.

I think that maybe the poster may have been noticing that after a two deep we had all project players, so to speak. For example, having to put in Tatum at RT vs Bama last or or Brooks at RT this year. I know we had several injuries, but having to play the next man up mentality on the O line when you’re going up against SEC D linemen was very short sighted by Butch.

I do think that players like Tatum and Niehaus can flourish, but they shouldn’t be expected to get to playing shape after only a year (or less) of being on the team. Just asking for a young man to get injured. Two years to put on the necessary strength and weight is reasonable, which none of the linemen from our 2016 class had the luxury of (Ryan Johnson being the only one that had the size to contribute relatively soon).

Last edited:
Football is predicated on two things; field position and the line of scrimmage. Everything you try to do are based off of these two fundamental absolute necessities. If you can't win these 2 battles, you can't win a lot of games. If you do win these battles, you will win a lot of games.

Seems to me that at the very minimum, Coach Pruitt, understands the game from the cornerstone pieces.

You have to win the line of scrimmage and it appears that's what he's trying to do.....

The two biggest issues I saw had nothing to do with thge size of the players. First it was the constant change of positions throughout camp. Players couldn't master their spot, which resulted in too much thinking during the plays. That slowed them down, caused missed assignments and contributed to the injuries. Second, they were forced to play them too early. It takes a good two years to develop the adult muscles and stamina to survive in the SEC. We barely gave some of them 6 months. Jack Jones would probably still be playing football if he was able to get more time to develop.

Reactions: 11 people

The big elephant in the room you left off, the S&C program! We have not had a stable S&C coach in two or three years and this has hurt the overall progression of our players - especially our OL and DL!

Reactions: 7 people
The big elephant in the room you left off, the S&C program! We have not had a stable S&C coach in two or three years and this has hurt the overall progression of our players - especially our OL and DL!

Just hire whoever made Trey Smith who he is today lol the way he dominated Kongbo in that spring practice vid should have made us all much more worried about S&C.

Meanwhile Mullin is getting ready to hang at least half a hundred on us yearly with those Florida athletes in his system and we will try to recruit superior player than Georgia and Alabama so we can try to out execute them using the same system with a first year OC.

This isn't going to end well.

And where were all these people wanting a prostyle system when Fulmer was here?? Once he lost the recruiting edge, all you could hear in the stands were complaints about him being uninventive and wanting to "run it up the middle every play".

And does anyone realize that butch played power football??

Meanwhile Mullin is getting ready to hang at least half a hundred on us yearly with those Florida athletes in his system and we will try to recruit superior player than Georgia and Alabama so we can try to out execute them using the same system with a first year OC.

And where were all these people wanting a prostyle system when Fulmer was here?? Once he lost the recruiting edge, all you could hear in the stands were complaints about him being uninventive and wanting to "run it up the middle every play".

Take your lap and then head straight to the football forum.

Reactions: 4 people

I wouldn't crown Mullen king of the East just yet. Our classes will be every bit as good and probably better than what Mullen will have yearly. I would take Pruitt's recruiting and defense over Mullens recruiting and offense any day. No Butch did not play power football. We were some of the softest teams year in and out under Butch.And having a prostyle offense doesn't mean running it up the middle every play and 3 yards and a cloud of dust. And lastly we don't have a first year OC. I don't think you could have been more wrong on so many topics in one post if you tried. But it was very impressive how many different times you weren't right about what you were posting.

Reactions: 5 people

Butch played power football. What are you drinking this morning? I guess that's why we scored all those points this year. :eek:lol: Under Pruitt you will see a better more physical and talented team. There will be some that decommit and loos elsewhere. Pruitt will bring in a different type player to Tennessee. Just look at it this way. Our running back coach is the only one Pruitt is keeping out of Butche's coaches. That tells you something right there.

Reactions: 1 person

Did somebody piss in your Cheerios??? Come on now you can tell us, we’re your friends?? What’s botherin ya big fella?

:eek:lol:

might want to get that name changed while you're at it....

Reactions: 1 person
And Pruitt is just getting started I'm still very reserved as far as expectations but I'll say this I am very excited to see who he tells to take a walk.

Gotta a feeling Pruitt's practices will separate the men from the boys, huge culture change on the way. But they won't miss that damn microphone.

OL Johncarlo Valentin - 6-3 330
OL Darian Kinnard - 6-6, 315
DT Siaki Ika - 6-3 360
DL Christian Barmore - 6-6, 290
OL Jerome Carvin - 6-4, 305
DE Coynis Miller - 6-3, 280
JUCO OL Chase Brown - 6-5, 315
DT LeDarrius Cox - 6-4, 300
JUCO OL Dwayne Wallace - 6-5 330
JUCO OL Jahmir Johnson - 6-5, 290
OL Darnell Wright - 6-6, 275
OL Wanya Morris 6-5, 265
OL Trente Jones 6-5, 293

Marcus Tatum - 6-6, 254
Ryan Johnson - 6-6, 275
Trey Smith - 6'5, 305

Notice that Butch actually recruited a LINEMAN at 255 lbs, and the SMALLEST Pruitt has offered so far (at least that I've seen) is 265, and he is a HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR.

I cannot tell you how excited I am to see us offering some guys that are going to get us back to playing SEC power football on BOTH sides of the ball!

What's funny is people don't even know what kind of offense we will run. What's even funnier is people hating on the spread offense, when 3 out of the 4 teams in the playoffs run the spread offense. Funniest of all, Mizzou ran for 433 yards against us out of the spread. Is 433 rushing yards not enough running it down your throat? Do not understand the hate for the spread offense. By all accounts the spread offense is the best offense for college football.

VN Store

Back