Anyone Else Happy About the Staff

I've experienced too much as a sports fan to have any kind of opinion one way or the other until I see how it translates to the field.

That being said, recruiting has exceeded my expectations thus far.

I truly think CBJ will bring UT back to it's winning ways.

I wanted to with Dooley, but I couldn't.

After NSD, I can make a judgement about the staff's ability to recruit. In December of 2013, I'll be able to judge how well they can coach. Until then, Not much else matters.

This^^^^^^^^. Although I have to say that what they are doing so far seems positive. But the 2 benchmarks above will be good indicators to a degree. They will have to be weighed against the recruiting time crunch and the lack of quality depth we have in the next 2 years. Better defensive side coaching should offset some of the depth problems next year. Replacing the OL in year 2 will be more difficult.

Don't know if you should use the words "stud" and "Martinez" in the same sentence. His best friend (Mark Richt) had to fire him at UGA. Anyway, best of luck!

Martinez and Sunseri are terrible failures as DCs. They are much better as position coaches and recruiters. We shall see.

I don't know about anyone else but I want to see what this staff does on the Football Field, I've had enough losing for a life time.

Having lived outside Cincy for a number of years, I wasn't excited about CBJ. After seeing him in action and the dedication this staff is putting in, I'm hoping he succeeds.

I am fine with Butch Jones and Mike Bajakian, and I think they will do a good job. However, I am a bit disappointed in hiring Jancek and Martinez to take on defense. I think those two are pretty average by the SEC standard.

Geez, I get the impression that Jones could have hired Jerry Sandusky and most of you would be talking about how great of a hire it was.

Will this staff get the job done? I don't know.
Were these coaches other major programs were coming after and offering big raises? Not really.
Is staff cohesion/tenure/loyalty always a good thing? No (look at Fulmer's post-championship years).
Would any non-UT homer ever describe this as the "best coaching staff in the country"? Of course not.

...all of which brings us back to "Will this staff get the job done?", and while the answer is that none of us know for sure, the fact is we'll have a good idea in a couple of weeks. If this staff can't make big improvements to our class and if we're still losing ground to not only the Alabamas and the Floridas of the world, but now the Ole Misses and Vandys as well, I think you would be delusional to conclude that we're in good shape with these guys.

Reactions: 2 people
I know you are kidding but I'm just saying that we need to support this team like they are all ready winners when they hit the field. We should have no doubt that everyone is out there to win. Support them like they are all ready champions and I think they will be.

Heard interesting comments on the radio this morning discussing building a team or a program. I think Butch Jones has his mind set on building a program.

The plan:
1. Ignite a buzz....√
2. Get a big fish....
3. Coach 'em up...
4. Beat at least 2 SEC teams...
5. Get 2-3 big fish, top 10 on NSD 2014...
6. Coach 'em up again...
7. Beat someone of note....
8. Declare we are back!

Long way to go, but step 1 is going well.

Reactions: 1 person
The plan:
1. Ignite a buzz....√
2. Get a big fish....
3. Coach 'em up...
4. Beat at least 2 SEC teams...
5. Get 2-3 big fish, top 10 on NSD 2014...
6. Coach 'em up again...
7. Beat someone of note....
8. Declare we are back!

Long way to go, but step 1 is going well.

Pretty much where I'm at as well.

To answer the question, I am happy with this staff they have met or exceeded my expectations to this point (I know, we're still a long ways away). I wish CBJ had never made the statement about hiring the best staff in the country, because you just can't live up to that.

What I like more than anything...............the players seem to really accept them with open arms. A player must like and respect their coach in order to give their all. I doubt you will see Butch's team quit.

I'm on the butchwagon, skeptical at first but that was due to my ignorance in not knowing his coaching style. These coaches are excited about the #risetothetop and its showing with the building interest we're receiving from these recruits.

VN Store

Back