Anybody seen our own VFL legend Heath Shuler...?

For those of us that are young, would some of you grandparents shed some light on why Heath never made it in the nfl? I know he was amazing in college and was a high draft pick. Thanks!

Holdout + Redskins + injury = politician.

To elaborate...holding out for the Redskins was the nail in his coffin before he ever took a snap. The fanbase was against him from the start and got on the Frerotte bandwagon. I had just graduated and moved back to the DC area and took all kinds of hell from other Redskin fans.

I honestly think the worst career move he made was leaving the Redskins to go play for Ditka in New Orleans. Ditka was not what you would call the mentoring type to young QB's.

I loved watching Heath play for the Vols. He could throw long passes on a rope that would take your breath away. And even though he ran like a baby duckling, he was fast and instinctive and could make guys miss. He was a great college QB.

But he left school a year early, which was a big mistake. Then he held-out, as others already mentioned. He had no OL in Washington and was always running for his life. Inevitably, he got hurt. Lots of injuries put an end to what should have been a nice NFL career. He showed flashes, but it was the cumulative effect of all those things that did him in.

But none of that tarnishes what he did while he played for us.

As for Casey, he was a great college QB, too. One of the best we've had. The numbers don't lie. He should be more fondly remembered by the fans, IMO. I would love to see him welcomed back on campus.

Reactions: 1 person
As for Casey, he was a great college QB, too. One of the best we've had. The numbers don't lie. He should be more fondly remembered by the fans, IMO. I would love to see him welcomed back on campus.

14-1 road record including two wins in the swamp. The Iceman was, is, and will always be one of my favorite Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
Amen.

On a real note, If he is currently unemployed. Butch should get him down her as a QB coach. Another real note. I don't even know the last time he has been back in campus..

I think I read that he works on the behalf of a Power company in N.C.(Duke Power?) in D.C..
He was honored at halftime of the 2012 KY game. They played a clip of him rushing for a TD against FLA in the rain on the jumbotron. Smokey going after the KY player and Chaney being the H.C. for that game got more press though.

One of Shuler's best games was the loss to Florida back in 1993. He shredded the Gator secondary, with touchdown passes of something like 52, 40, 70, 15, and 5 yards, which was at the time a school record. Fulmer wasted a quarter trying haplessly to establish the run game, so we fell behind 21-0, but Heath nearly brought us back.

I loved watching Heath play for the Vols. He could throw long passes on a rope that would take your breath away. And even though he ran like a baby duckling, he was fast and instinctive and could make guys miss. He was a great college QB.

But he left school a year early, which was a big mistake. Then he held-out, as others already mentioned. He had no OL in Washington and was always running for his life. Inevitably, he got hurt. Lots of injuries put an end to what should have been a nice NFL career. He showed flashes, but it was the cumulative effect of all those things that did him in.

But none of that tarnishes what he did while he played for us.
That may be true, but he was outplayed by a guy that ESPN once said during a highlight clip "Gus, well he was Frerotten"

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWK-aam0Jo[/youtube]

VN Store

Back