Anybody know if this is true?

Got into a conversation today with a guy in his 60's who said that UT got their Orange color from a guy who was part of a secret society (The Orange) who helped select the colors. Said the color is not a true orange do to it being torch orange (representing the Torch Society in Europe) and that is where it came from. Said it is the reason for the statue of the guy holding the torch on campus, etc.

Said we changed from blue to orange because of secret societies involved in our university.

Anybody know much about this?

due the do.

I had a buddy who is a fan of the fake UT (Texas for those who don't follow) and we were debating because I said they try to steal everything from UT. Including our color, power T, etc. He said Tennessee's original colors were purple and white and Texas did orange before we did. Pretty sure that's BS too.

Those who have revealed secrets will be dealt with.

These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.

Well....whoever did that to us needs a beat down cause we look like a bunch of circus peanuts out there......we need some black helmets and black jerseys to toughen up our image....at least they could bring back the black cleats!!

A clue....

220px-Square_compasses.svg.png

As previously advised, I repeat, do not seek the treasure....I mean do not seek the answer(sorry different movie).

Well....whoever did that to us needs a beat down cause we look like a bunch of circus peanuts out there......we need some black helmets and black jerseys to toughen up our image....at least they could bring back the black cleats!!

Woah slow ur role

Last edited:
Yes, it came from Orange daisies that grew on the hill. A simple google search reveals hundreds of different sites that not only prove that orange daisies exist, but that you can actually purchase the elusive flora.

To the poster who said that his acquaintance from Texas said that UT's colors were purple. He is flat wrong. In fact before UT's colors were orange and white they were...black and white. Without wanting to spend the thirty seconds it would take to confirm this fact, my memory says that the colors changed somewhere in the 19teens to 20's.

Not to get too far into the black jersey debate, but for everyone who was so upset with that they forgot that black was our first color making it a true nod to tradition. Anyway...

Reactions: 3 people
As long as Nicholas Cage doesn't star in the movie about this conspiracy theory, then I don't care why we picked orange.

Reactions: 1 person
The truth will soon be revealed

The stadium faces north and south so that it is aligned perfectly with the poles

The bones of the dead are kept under Neyland for a reason

Be afraid, be very afraid!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, it came from Orange daisies that grew on the hill. A simple google search reveals hundreds of different sites that not only prove that orange daisies exist, but that you can actually purchase the elusive flora.

To the poster who said that his acquaintance from Texas said that UT's colors were purple. He is flat wrong. In fact before UT's colors were orange and white they were...black and white. Without wanting to spend the thirty seconds it would take to confirm this fact, my memory says that the colors changed somewhere in the 19teens to 20's.

Not to get too far into the black jersey debate, but for everyone who was so upset with that they forgot that black was our first color making it a true nod to tradition. Anyway...

The color orange was decided on in 1891 but the orange football shirts weren't donned until the 1920's.

Reactions: 1 person
My grandfather played at UT. He told me the color came from the early days when a practice field was mowed that had orange day lillys growing there. The cut flowers left orange stains on their white Jerseys.

This story could have been an old man messing with his grandson. I do come from a long line of Tennessee Graduate smartazzes.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm an old geezer and can confirm this is true. Our colors come from the Loyal Orange Lodge and I see several posters each day give homage to the order in their replies to posts to which they agree. In a time honored tradition they signify their agreement by invoking the initials of the order, thus indicating both their agreement as well as acknowledging their membership to this secret society. So anytime you see the initials of the order, you know the truth. Here's a tip of the hat to the Loyal Orange Lodge!

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back