Any truth to this rumor?

So in your mind playing on Thursday is a gimmick
Yes, they were originally played by weaker and lower level d1 schools to get the TV revenue and exposure. It's very gimmicky. There used to be 1 Thursday game many years ago, now there are multiple. You aren't the only Thursday game any more and you aren't getting all the revenue on Thursday night anymore.

It is a hassle for most fans that go to the games in person. They start late on a school/work night, which takes a lot of families out of the equation of attending, traveling to the game from outside of Knoxville much more of a hassle. School dismissal traffic and then rush hour makes it harder for fans traveling to the stadium, which is already a cluster. I know from experience, it sucks.

I could sell my tickets, for next to nothing and take a loss, or they could just play the game on a Saturday like everyone else and not have all the extra pain in the ass logistical stuff going on.

They don't need the extra rest as players, they need routine. They play Saturday games during the season and the conference championship game.

I think one HUGE reason for all the crappy lopsided games after the season is the extra time off and being out of routine.

I
Yes, they were originally played by weaker and lower level d1 schools to get the TV revenue and exposure. It's very gimmicky. There used to be 1 Thursday game many years ago, now there are multiple. You aren't the only Thursday game any more and you aren't getting all the revenue on Thursday night anymore.

It is a hassle for most fans that go to the games in person. They start late on a school/work night, which takes a lot of families out of the equation of attending, traveling to the game from outside of Knoxville much more of a hassle. School dismissal traffic and then rush hour makes it harder for fans traveling to the stadium, which is already a cluster. I know from experience, it sucks.

I could sell my tickets, for next to nothing and take a loss, or they could just play the game on a Saturday like everyone else and not have all the extra pain in the ass logistical stuff going on.

They don't need the extra rest as players, they need routine. They play Saturday games during the season and the conference championship game.

I think one HUGE reason for all the crappy lopsided games after the season is the extra time off and being out of routine.
I disagree with it being a gimmick. So Monday night football is a gimmick for the NFL. Anyway I just want us to win games what day that happens isn't important to me. You have your own opinions

Reactions: Post4Vols

Currently 19 games scheduled for Thursday with no real games of interest. Missouri vs Murray is scheduled for Thursday 7P.

Agree with all you have said. The only Thursday night game that I see that would work is the opener and its at home. That way the team routine is not disrupted, gives extra prep days for game 2 and being at home most fans that live withing reasonable driving distance could attend.

Thursday night on a holiday weekend against a team that we’ll be favored by 5 touchdowns against is pretty much the only time I want a Thursday night game. We should never just have a random Thursday night game in the middle of the season against an SEC team. That’s some old school Big East stuff. I feel the same way about Fridays.

Thursday night on a holiday weekend against a team that we’ll be favored by 5 touchdowns against is pretty much the only time I want a Thursday night game. We should never just have a random Thursday night game in the middle of the season against an SEC team. That’s some old school Big East stuff. I feel the same way about Fridays.
Plus Fridays are for High school football.

Plus Fridays are for High school football.
I agree. Unfortunately, the NFL has now taken over Thursdays also and college teams are playing a lot of Friday games. The B1G just signed a bigger deal w/ Fox to play even more games on Fridays this season. I think they will have 9 Friday B1G conference games. I really hope the SEC does not follow that same idea.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Please, UT, you don't need any anymore gimmicks. Just play Saturday games like big boys do.

Thanks,
Most rational fans

I kinda like playing in the week 1 Thursday opener-for multiple reasons-

1. The wait for UT football is not as long

2. You pick up quite a few additional eyeballs as there are not as many games on. Always a benefit when you're still trying to pick up recruiting.

3. Pick up the win and spend the weekend happily watching other games with it in my back pocket. No stress.

VN Store

Back