Any one else concerned

Virginia said we know you’re are going to beat us but it will not be because of big plays.

Joe played a good game. Never forced anything. Didn’t take chance and took what the defense was giving.

I’m sure Joe will have to take some chances this year and try to make some big plays in the passing game, but no need today.

The OLine was dominant in the run game.

UVA did us a favor. They helped us work on Joe's biggest weakness. Short passes and touch passes. That and getting practice in the run game.

I'm not worried at all.
Joes weakness? looked to me we need to work on motion penalties, dropped balls and special teams

Is it possible we have a bunch of fans on here who is still living off daddy’s dime?

About the passing game? Were the receivers not getting open or was it the play calling ? I know Keaton was wide open and dropped a sure TD. We won’t be able to run like this in every game so the passing game has got to improve.
No Concerns

Joes weakness? looked to me we need to work on motion penalties, dropped balls and special teams
All teams have things too work on after first game. There are often slow starts and mistakes in first games due to anxious players and nerves. Most teams will improve between game 1 and 2. Sure we always need to be getting better, but we have a lot of positives and promise with this team and staff. One game at a time! We just got to keep working. GBO

It's hard to tell too much from this game. UVA is Vandy-level mid. I thought their D had a good game plan but just got run over by bigger and better athletes, which is a sentence I couldn't imagine typing 2 years ago.

The special teams has to improve without a doubt, but I think as long as Heup is here the O will get ironed out. I was impressed with our front 7 on D. It should be a fun year.

Edit: I'm so happy we ended up with Heup instead of Elliott.

About the passing game? Were the receivers not getting open or was it the play calling ? I know Keaton was wide open and dropped a sure TD. We won’t be able to run like this in every game so the passing game has got to improve.
First game last year Hooker stats: 18/25, 221 yds, 2 TDs, 5 rushes for 12 yds and 2 TDs

First game this year Milton stats: 21/30, 201 yds, 2 TDs, 9 rushes for 33 yds and 2 TDs.... not including the drop you mentioned.

I would submit that while I made the point that UVA was not a good football team right now their D and team overall are probably better than Ball State was last year.

So in a word, no, I am not worried yet.

PS- For what little it is worth, why don't you think UT can continue to not only run the ball like that... but better? The Vols averaged 199 yds rushing last year and went over 200 yds in 7 of their 13 games. Only Pitt and UGA held UT under 100 yds. Due to the scheme and depth on the OL, there is a good chance that UT can continue to run the ball very effectively. You are right that Milton and the passing game determine how good it can get... but it isn't time to worry.

Not yet. Milton should have had 280 yards through 3 quarters in a game where we ran the ball almost 60% of the time. I am a little concerned about Keyton though. I mean it happens, but I followed the csmp notes and he seemed to be dropping the ball off season as well. That said, he didn’t do it repeatedly during the game, so I’m not heavily concerned about much.

If you expected us to be undefeated national champs and Milton to be a clone of Hooker, then yes you should be worried.
I expected us to be 8-3 this year and Milton to be a slight drop off from Hooker and I didn’t see anything to change my expectation. Milton not as mobile as Hooker and will rely more on the OL to give him time to find his deep receiver.
Bama and Georgia are still the elite teams in the SEC and there are probably 3-4 teams (including UT) a notch behind. With some breaks, one of those teams a notch behind could end up as conference champs.

I agree with the punter concerns. I couldn't believe he ran to his right, then kicked the ball rugby style, and kicked it out of bounds. Did the same thing again later in the game. Punt the ball in the traditional way, or learn how to kick it to stay in bounds. That will bite us big time against better teams.
However.. he also ran to his left and kicked it with his left foot. That might give him a little hope. But he's gonna need more protection against faster rushes if he's gonna take that much time. Hopefully we won't need him very much.

I trust Josh.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
However.. he also ran to his left and kicked it with his left foot. That might give him a little hope. But he's gonna need more protection against faster rushes if he's gonna take that much time. Hopefully we won't need him very much.

I trust Josh.
He's gonna need reps. Apparently just never played American football before. I have faith in our special teams coach to get him there.

He's gonna need reps. Apparently just never played American football before. I have faith in our special teams coach to get him there.
If someone that has not been exposed to American college football is suddenly thrust into that arena, it has to be intimidating regardless of being in front of a friendly crowd or not. I wonder how he will play in the Swamp or Tuscaloosa. Last I saw, there is no place that draws 100,000 rabid fans in rugby. It might be popular elsewhere in the world, but it ain't SEC popular

I'm worried about our Special Teams especially our Punter. What was that????? The announcer was saying he kicks with both feet. If you have two sub 30 yd punts...do me a big favor? Use the foot that kicks 45+ yd punts.

I remember Shane Victorino was a switch hitter...he hit .297 from the left and .196 from the right...no Shane you are a left handed hitter...a broken clock is right 2x a day
The punter was the only thing i didn't like
about the game. We need another Colquitt.

I’m familiar with the stats. He got away with one today that should have been an interception and I only recall one downfield pass that was on target. The throwing windows against Georgia will be much tighter and we’ll probably be forced to throw more against them because they’ll likely stuff the run.
Everyone has to remember the number of changes to the team right now and then weigh that against the dominating game against UVA in the first game showcasing those changes. There are things to improve at every level before Georgia, but we have 10 games to play and improve by that game.

The punter was the only thing i didn't like
about the game. We need another Colquitt.
See the multiple posts. He was a bit shell shocked from his first exposure to a rabid American Football crowd. He has played Australian Rules Football professionally, but never been exposed to the insanity here yet. The coaches believe he can be an awesome Aussie as a punter. Do you feel you are ready to take over for Ekeler?

I’m familiar with the stats. He got away with one today that should have been an interception and I only recall one downfield pass that was on target. The throwing windows against Georgia will be much tighter and we’ll probably be forced to throw more against them because they’ll likely stuff the run.
UTM ran the ball decently against them yesterday before the game got out of hand.

Reactions: bpalmer28
You serious Clark?
The QB draws up the middle. The 4th and 1 play that was short. A QB sneak would've done the trick. Three passes in a row when they were picking up good yards running the ball. They called the same play, back to back to Squirrel when he got hurt. Overall the play calling got better. Some series left a lot to be desired.

I trust Josh.
I hope he knows how to catch, drop, then kick the ball. Rugby style may be fine in some situations, but a hard rush on the punter won't allow that kind of punt.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

VN Store

Back