Any chance Tayven Jackson beats out Milton next spring?

damn im guessing its raining everywhere besides miltons hands and his grip is perfect,,
i have seen this comment a lot and it was definitely pouring rain during parts of the game. there is no way on earth a human can throw the ball that far and hard without a good grip. maybe i missed something but i didnt notice any slip on the ball when he was ripping it down the field..

Reactions: BJSforVols
Or the alternative viewpoint is that Hendons natural abilites fit this system much better and he excelled after he learned the playbook in a short time frame, I believe Heupel is good with Quarterbacks but by your own logic if he turned Hendon around in a few short months why has he not fixed Milton in two years? But you're probably right, Im sure in his fifth year of college football everything will come together and he will win the Heisman next year.
When Milton started ge had a few months in the system.

First team reps matter even though some struggle to grasp that idea.

Many also make snap judgments and will.opny root against a player on their favorite team in hopes they will be proven accurate. That powerful drug of being "right" has a lure that outweighs all else for some.

How good does it make you feel when you get the chance to tell the boys around the wsrer cooler...I KNEW IT ALL ALONG

I posted this in the game thread, but that's probably not the right spot for this question. Milton doesn't look any better than last year in this Candy game,. I don't see us doing very well against decent or better teams next year without improvement from Milton or a different QB1. It just doesn't seem like Milton is going to change. Love the talent and the personality, but I just don't think he's a QB in actual game situations.

Any chance Traven Jackson can win out the QB1 spot next spring and give Nico a year or two to get some size on him. Jackson was a 4 star recruit, correct? Is he good enough to compete with Milton in the spring? Will Heupel give him a fair opportunity?
Not very likely. Anything is possible but I would personally put Milton's odds at about 90%. That could change after the bowl game. We will see. FWIW, I would give Jackson and Nico roughly equal 5% odds of winning the job. Jackson is talented but very raw.

UT is going to have to adjust the O a little for Milton. Milton very obviously struggles throwing the ball vertical on target. He excels throwing to targets moving across the field. He even does better with posts than straight go routes. They need to give him more posts and deep crossing routes in addition to him improving the vertical routes.

When Milton started ge had a few months in the system.

First team reps matter even though some struggle to grasp that idea.

Many also make snap judgments and will.opny root against a player on their favorite team in hopes they will be proven accurate. That powerful drug of being "right" has a lure that outweighs all else for some.

How good does it make you feel when you get the chance to tell the boys around the wsrer cooler...I KNEW IT ALL ALONG
All I said was Milton is Milton, you get what you get, you're the one who seems to take offense to my summation, I will say this, I hope he does come out and does well, I mean no harm I just dont think he can get his power/accuracy under control at this point in his career, its not about knowing the offense with him at this point, its just he overthrows everyone and I would think that is something they have worked on diligently with him but he is still doing it, maybe he gets it under control idk, I'm fairly certain you would get more satisfaction proving me wrong than I would from being right so I hope you get to talk at the water cooler about how right you were.

What is crystal clear is that Milton hasn’t changed from the QB who lost us the Pitt game last year because he couldn’t complete a wide open pass. He’s gone through all the same reps that Hooker has done, yet there is minimal improvement. Milton isn’t the guy. We will be lucky to win 8 games with him at QB.

With that said, unlike previous coaching staffs, I trust these coaches to make the right decision come game time.
What position did Joe play on defence?

Not sure I agree with this. The big issue with Joe is overthrowing and game decisions when in a game situation that matters. Most everyone says he has the arm talent and looks great in practices. That's why he won the job over Hooker in the first place. The percentages you throw out there are in mop up duty when it is more of a practice situation and not game situations.
What game situation decisions are you referring to? Just curious.

Fair enough but looking at the qb as the primary reason a completion doesn’t occur is pretty short sighted. The percentages I threw out still require all the same components as those that Joe had to have when he hit Hyatt in stride as well as ramel Keyton.

here are a couple points from the vandy game.

1. Joe had 1 week to work with the 1s. He narrowly missed fant on his post. Hendon regularly threw behind receivers in posts or slants. Joe led fant. The ball was off his finger tips and would likely have been caught given more practice and reps.

2. he overthrew squirrel in the endzone. That’s on him.
3. A fly route to squirrel later in the game. Joe looked like he overthrew squirrel, but go back and look at it. Squirrel was not running his route full out. When he turned and looked at the ball, he took a double take as if he was surprised and then started running harder but it was too late.
4. no one seems to take into account the timing on some of those deep throws which can be disrupted by the db disrupting the route.

5. conditions in that game were not good. Ever tried to throw a wet ball? Ever tried it under pressure with pretty steady rain and wind? Ever tried to throw a ball accurately 45+yards down the field or more? That is not a gimme in prefect weather and no pressure.

I’m not saying Joe Milton is flawless. He needs some work but that will come with time with the receivers and the offseason.(before the comment is that he’s had time because he’s a senior, there are plenty of qbs who produce in their last year)

He will be fine. We caught lightning in a bottle with hooker. That is not normal. If you need to see any evidence to that, look at the record books and our previous qbs. Hooker now has many records and is by far the best qb we’ve had in at least a decade or two.

I wish he had thrown a few more shorter routes and let the receivers make the gains. That may come from film study and the qb room where he can get more comfortable in reads if that is even an issue.

Complaint?? I’m stating exactly what I’ve watched and know from his playing time. Anybody who knows the sport will tell you the same. Jordan Rogers said it several times last night and they had multiple discussions about it. They have after every time he’s been the Qb1. I don’t think the Milton lovers are seeing the same thing that the rest of us do. You must be one of those on here that thinks he’s a world beater. If he’s our Qb. next year and wins the start of the season. Be prepared to go thru what was 2021…Just like when he started out and Hendon took over in 2021. Be prepared for the let downs and a couple losses later. Then you’ll have discussions about well if the coach would’ve this and that bs. If you’re running your receivers to death and can’t reward them. They will tire out because one…you’re not scoring or moving the ball efficiently. Where you can regroup between first downs and running the ball. Where they catch a breather and run a few deep routes again. If you don’t and they tire out they will get frustrated and quit on you. I’ve watch there demeanor after these plays and there walking off frustrated and that would be for anybody.! This offense is built for fast and furious. When they don’t connect on the long ball out of the park. Then they have to comeback and try to regroup. These are tired players or player that are trying to reset. One simple question…..Have you watch CJH get frustrated on the side lines when they can’t go fast. When they have to substitute and the defense is allowed too.
Yep that Joe Milton guy… he’s Terrible.. overthrowing everything tonight. It’s amazing how differently he plays when the rain isn’t blowing sideways.

Y'all do know there's about 80 more players on this team. Just asking since every thread is about Joe.

I posted this in the game thread, but that's probably not the right spot for this question. Milton doesn't look any better than last year in this Candy game,. I don't see us doing very well against decent or better teams next year without improvement from Milton or a different QB1. It just doesn't seem like Milton is going to change. Love the talent and the personality, but I just don't think he's a QB in actual game situations.

Any chance Traven Jackson can win out the QB1 spot next spring and give Nico a year or two to get some size on him. Jackson was a 4 star recruit, correct? Is he good enough to compete with Milton in the spring? Will Heupel give him a fair opportunity?

I fully expect Jackson to transfer. No way we are letting Nico be #3 on chart at the money he’s getting. I say this as I fully expect Milton to be the clear and away starter going into season unless something crazy like injury happens.

You have to remember Milton beat out Hooker last year so that tells you how Heupel sees him. But you also have to remember Heupel went to Hooker when it became obvious Milton wasn't getting the job done. I don't think Milton gets the hook tonight but I do think it will be an open competition in the spring.

VN Store

Back