Anthony Jordan (head official vs LSU)

Yeah, Fade you got a schtick (Honestly, it's one of the reasons why you are one of my fave posters on here since you can go against the grain in a non-troll way).

The only time Jordan should be allowed at a LSU game is if he has a ticket. Officials with biases (actual, subconscious, or perceived) do not need to be allowed to officiate.

This is why SEC football officiating is so bad. A disproportionate amount of officials/ Shaw have Bama ties....
The happiest person, since this ref’s bias was revealed, has to be Doug Shows. At least temporarily the microscope has been removed from his questionable officiating.

Maybe we should focus more on why we couldn’t do enough on the floor to make the refs irrelevant.

I think your point is relevant in that we still could have won, and maybe should have, but a ref can completely determine the outcome of a game. I would think that this is not debatable and I have played in games and been on both sides of this equation. Sure there are games where even a ref would have trouble influencing the outcome of a game, but that is when one team is overwhelmingly better. This game was pretty even IMO and he had an out- sized influence on this game.

A couple of things...
1. Anthony Jordan did not work the LSU-UK game.

2. LSU shot more FTs because they were more aggressive around the basket offensively. That doesn't excuse the poor execution of some of the officiating we saw, but just using FTs attempted as a comparison isn't telling the whole story.
I have to disagree in part with your #2. I typically wont blame refs for a loss although I will complain about how bad officiating is on both sides of the ball.
But LSU may have attacked the basket, but there were much quicker whistles when they did vs when TN did. And typically it was for far less contact. The game was unevenly called depending on what side of the floor they were on. You typically are always a level headed and fair poster (and I try to be, but I am biased at times) but the biased whistles in this game were obvious.
With that said, TN still shouldve won this game.

Reactions: cardvolfan
One poster mentioned conscious decision to cheat. I don’t think that is the issue. I believe that this ref probably goes into games with the intention to be fair. The problem arises in that subconscious instant that you see things, especially as a fan. When fans watch a game and a close call happens, the instinct is to think that what happens favors your team. Only on replay do many of us concede that the call was correct to go against our team. That is the danger of being a fan of one of the teams in a game. It is hard to separate what you really saw and what you want to see in that instant that a decision must be made.

Reactions: TrapVol and Kristy*
This doesn't bother me as much as much as it apparently does some of y'all. With that said...

Anything that might could keep that worthless, incompetent, schmuck from ever calling another Tennessee game I'm all for. So, with that in mind, I hope somebody takes this and pushes it as far as they can with the SEC/NCAA. Though I'm sure it'll lead to nothing.

So after Will Wade whined to Jordan during Turners 2 free throw misses, if I counted right there was an immediate make up call on Pons, then 4 of the next 5 LSU possessions ended in free throws...

Reactions: 99grad
A “foul” called 80 feet from the basket in OT should expose this fraud!

This.... IMO calling a foul due to insignificant contact between two players hustling for a loose ball 75 feet from the goal in a tied game with less than a second left in OT is a far more damning indictment than a FB post.

One poster mentioned conscious decision to cheat. I don’t think that is the issue. I believe that this ref probably goes into games with the intention to be fair. The problem arises in that subconscious instant that you see things, especially as a fan. When fans watch a game and a close call happens, the instinct is to think that what happens favors your team. Only on replay do many of us concede that the call was correct to go against our team. That is the danger of being a fan of one of the teams in a game. It is hard to separate what you really saw and what you want to see in that instant that a decision must be made.

I agree with this. There were a couple of bang-bang charge calls that went against us. Specifically the one late in the game that went against Williams, in which the defender didn't have his feet set and wasn't in guarding position. A bias can influence a call like that, which takes a possession away from our team.

So after Will Wade whined to Jordan during Turners 2 free throw misses, if I counted right there was an immediate make up call on Pons, then 4 of the next 5 LSU possessions ended in free throws... And he dismissed the hook and hold call under 1 minute against Williams that would've given UT 2 shots and the ball and it was clear as day on review the defender has him hooked. Instead he calls no call, ball out of bounds to LSU. So if you dismiss a call that's written in the rule book as an F1, but you call the foul in OT against Grant you're clearly an idiot.

Reactions: BartW
So after Will Wade whined to Jordan during Turners 2 free throw misses, if I counted right there was an immediate make up call on Pons, then 4 of the next 5 LSU possessions ended in free throws...

There was a makeup call on Alexander after they called the first flagrant on Reid where he threw Grant to the floor. Wade argued that entire time, too, because he thought Grant hooked Reid.

A buddy of mine showed me the picture a while ago. If that's not proof that the officials were trying to screw us, I don't know what is.

Coach Barnes, please for the love of God, do what needs to be done and call the league office. Show your players and us fans that you have our backs like we have yours. Tell the league that we are mad as hell and will not stand for this any longer.

Reactions: JacketVol
There was a makeup call on Alexander after they called the first flagrant on Reid where he threw Grant to the floor. Wade argued that entire time, too, because he thought Grant hooked Reid.
Re-read my post i edited it, and yes you're correct 2 of Jordan's make ups Saturday were on Kyle.

That's one that, if I was Wade, I'd have simply been thrilled Reid wasn't hit with an F2 and ejected, realized a simple F1 was a gift, and kept my mouth shut.

Reactions: JacketVol
Bad take. This is a completely new development. If this hadn’t happened I’d say sure let’s drop complaining about the refs for that game, but now we know that the head official’s judgement was clouded
I agree. I know that I was already ready to move on from this game and on to Ole Miss. But now seeing that the head ref's integrity is, indeed, now in question, I say we let the league know that we are angry and no longer going to stand for this.

Reactions: Vol49er

My son (just turned 14) has taken courses to become in a referee in two youth sports (To earn some cash and to get off Fortnite). There is an ethics session that teaches refs to avoid perceptions of bias and what to do when they should recuse themselves from an assignment. For example, my son realized he could not ref his 5 year old sister's basketball game without a perceived bias.

The fact that Anthony Jordan broke the basic tenet of referee ethics speaks volumes about him.....

I believe this s true. The problem is it is human nature to be biased in some form or fashion, and so officials should never be allowed to officiate events where their impartiality might be compromised by their biases. My uncle, an Ole Miss grad, was an SEC football official from the mid-'60s through the early '80s, and was quite rightly never allowed to officiate an Ole Miss game. He also advised the SEC office that they should not allow the league to allow him to officiate a Mississippi St. game because he freely admitted his hatred/bias against MSU as a lifelong Ole Miss fan might cause him to either consciously, or unconsciously, view calls differently against the bulldogs.

Reactions: JohnnyJava

VN Store

Back