Analyzing Virginia Tech's Game vs Liberty

DiderotsGhost

Watched through some of the Va Tech game versus Liberty on ESPN3's replay site. I didn't watch the whole game; just fast-forwarded through to interesting possessions. VT won the game 36-13. Liberty is a I-AA (FCS) team. Sagarin had Liberty ranked #159 for the 2015 season; in comparision App State finished #60. Here are some observations.

VT Had Difficulty with Pressure. Surprising how much pressure Liberty got on the QB in the 1st half. Jerod Evans panicked a few times with the blitz and Liberty was able to storm through VT's O-line early in the game a few times.

Special Teams Good. VT's special teams did pretty well. Lot of good kick and punt returns. I didn't see any big mistakes. VT also managed to pick up a safety against Liberty on a punt; however, the Liberty returner should've never caught the ball inside the 10.

Utilizing the Outside. VT's offense utilized the outside passing game heavily. Lot of quick passes to outside receivers, hoping to take advantage of mismatches. This is interesting, but we also know that the speed of our secondary is a big advantage, so VT could have more difficulty on the outside against us.

Picked On Secondary. VT found a few one-on-one match-ups they liked and picked on Liberty's secondary repeatedly. Once again, however, they are going to have more trouble finding those types of match-ups against us. I thought our secondary was our biggest strength vs App State.

Jerod Evans. Evans was a 4-star JUCO recruit from the 2016 class. He's a Junior and is listed as "Dual Threat." VT's offense with Evans actually looks a bit like ours with Josh Dobbs two years ago. Jerod Evans did a good job taking off with the ball when nothing was available. He only had 5 runs for 46 yards, but he had a very good sense of when to run. However, Evans made a lot of poor decisions in pressure, and made a few risky passes. Some of those passes, he got bailed out on by good receivers, but could be more problematic against defenders like Cam Sutton and Micah Abernathy.

VT Defense Played Well.
Not too much to complain about with the VT defense. Bud Foster's defenses have been among the best in the nation for years. VT's defense had 3 interceptions and also recovered a fumble. They held Liberty to 90 rushing yards and 70 passing yards. Not too shabby, eh? Even against FCS competition, those are good stats.

Hokie Receivers Looked Good. Saw VT's receivers make a lot of very good catches.

Lot of Mistakes. VT had a number of big mistakes in the 1st half, as well. In fact, thought they had a lot of similar issues as we did versus App State, except that App State is a much better opponent than Liberty. Liberty led the game 13-10 in the 2nd Quarter.

4 Fumbles Lost. The game stats list on ESPN list 4 fumbles lost. I saw a few of them. Not sure if they had any more that were recovered (and didn't make the stat line), but regardless, looks like VT was having similar first week issues as we were.

The Takeaways

VT's D and Special Teams Will Be Tough. Moving the ball against VT will be difficult. It always is. I have to think our best shot is to just keep pounding away at them in the rushing game and try to wear the defense out. Given that Fuente runs a fast-paced offense, this strategy is viable against VT. And yes, this means using Dobbs as a runner much more frequently than last week against App State.

Blitz Early and Often. If the VT O-line and Jerod Evans were having difficulty with Liberty's pass rush, I have to think we should be applying a ton of pressure. I don't expect VT to be as mistake-prone against us as they were against Liberty, but Liberty's pass rush will also seem like a walk in the park compared to ours. Hope to see Shoop go very deep in our bench, bringing out guys like Shy Tuttle, Kyle Phillips, Jonathan Kongbo, and Darrell Taylor. Keep our D-line fresh and keep the pressure constant!

Contain Jerod Evans.
We do have to find a way to prevent Jerod Evans from taking off for big gains. We've struggled with dual threat QBs in the past.

Don't Panic. As much as our fanbase wants to panic right now, VT had similar issues as us in Week #1. The only difference is that they played a cupcake game and we played quite possibly the best G5 team in America.

Both Teams Will Play Better.
More of a prediction than a takeaway, but I'd be surprised to see either our Vols or VT making as many mistakes as during Week 1. Both teams will be laser-focused for what is a historic game.

Reactions: 69 people
Thanks Denis! Lot of good work here.

I'll be really upset if we decide to continue the experiment with Dobbs being a 'pocket-passer.' We're going to need to get on the board early and often with these guys.

Reactions: 1 person
I like that analysis, and appreciate the time that you took to put that together, thanks!

PS - Houston may disagree that App State is the best G5 team

Reactions: 7 people
CroKev i think we can all agree with that statement we have to let dobbs be dobbs otherwise he is really non effective.. let the boy play!

appreciate the scouting Denis! good work

I like that analysis, and appreciate the time that you took to put that together, thanks!

PS - Houston may disagree that App State is the best G5 team

Forgot that Houston was even G5. They feel like a Power 5 team at this point. Guess Boise State is up there, too. But definitely think App State is among the top 3 or 4 G5 teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Thanks, DG, always appreciate your insights. Keeping fingers crossed that the Vols' Week 1-to-Week 2 improvement is greater than Va Tech's.

Cool. Maybe we will see what Shoop brought to the defensive table finally.

A few other tidbits from our side:

- In addition to Evans being a new starter, we also moved Bucky Hodges (#7) from TE to WR, so timing/chemistry is still a work in progress. Hodges is a physical freak (6'7", 245lbs, 4.6 in the 40) who presents a matchup problem wherever he lines up.
- Our best OL is Wyatt Teller (#57). He didn't start for reasons that are still unclear. Apparently it's not disciplinary per se, but the coaches aren't happy with him for some reason. If he has worked his way out of the doghouse by gametime our OL should be better, but as of right now he's still listed as being on the 2nd string.
- Shai McKenzie (#28) ACLed in 2014 and really wasn't able to go last year as a result. After brief appearances early on, he was shut down and later received a medical hardship waiver. Time will tell if he's back to his pre-injury status, but if he is, we've got two really good backs with him and McMillian (#34).
- Adonis Alexander (#36) was suspended for game 1 but will be back this week. He's an up-and-coming DB who was named a 2nd-team freshman all-american last year and is expected to make big contributions this year. Whether or not he starts, he bolsters a secondary that has the potential to be excellent.

Reactions: 4 people

- In addition to Evans being a new starter, we also moved Bucky Hodges (#7) from TE to WR, so timing/chemistry is still a work in progress. Hodges is a physical freak (6'7", 245lbs, 4.6 in the 40) who presents a matchup problem wherever he lines up.
- Our best OL is Wyatt Teller (#57). He didn't start for reasons that are still unclear. Apparently it's not disciplinary per se, but the coaches aren't happy with him for some reason. If he has worked his way out of the doghouse by gametime our OL should be better, but as of right now he's still listed as being on the 2nd string.
- Shai McKenzie (#28) ACLed in 2014 and really wasn't able to go last year as a result. After brief appearances early on, he was shut down and later received a medical hardship waiver. Time will tell if he's back to his pre-injury status, but if he is, we've got two really good backs with him and McMillian (#34).
- Adonis Alexander (#36) was suspended for game 1 but will be back this week. He's an up-and-coming DB who was named a 2nd-team freshman all-american last year and is expected to make big contributions this year. Whether or not he starts, he bolsters a secondary that has the potential to be excellent.

#57... Didn't start, or didn't play? There is a difference.

#57... Didn't start, or didn't play? There is a difference.

He did not start, but did play, and IMO our run game was immediately and obviously better with him in. He gives you highlights like this one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ74xvWBxoH/

For whatever reason the coaches are being pretty vague about it, no one seems to know exactly what the issue is. And as of right now, he's still listed as the #2 LG, so we'll have to see what happens in practice this week.

He did not start, but did play, and IMO our run game was immediately and obviously better with him in. He gives you highlights like this one:

For whatever reason the coaches are being pretty vague about it, no one seems to know exactly what the issue is. And as of right now, he's still listed as the #2 LG, so we'll have to see what happens in practice this week.

That looked pretty brutal against Liberty's 130 lb LB.

What happened with the other OL.

:)

Any input as to why they moved #7 from TE to WR? Seems like great size for a TE, blocking issues maybe?

Virginia Tech is going to give Dobbs and the offense a lot of trouble. I predict some kind of sloppy, low-scoring game with special teams probably being the difference.

Good info, VT.

I probably should've added that O-line play by both teams will be a big key to winning this game. Both VT and Tennessee struggled on the O-line in Week #1. I wouldn't be surprised if O-line mistakes make life more difficult for either my Vols or your Hokies.

I was surprised at how good your all's WRs looked. I knew the D and Special Teams have always been good at VT, but your all's WR corps may be one of your bigger edges over us.

Fwiw, feels weird rooting against VT for me. I grew up in Northeast Tennessee and have a lot of family from SW Virginia. VT has always been my 2nd favorite team. Even used to have one of those very old VPI Fightin' Gobblers stickers on my dresser as a kid.

Reactions: 2 people
Any input as to why they moved #7 from TE to WR? Seems like great size for a TE, blocking issues maybe?

I don't think blocking was the issue. I think it was more the case that Fuente wanted to create mismatches by lining him up elsewhere. Think Jimmy Graham; he's bigger than any corner and bigger/faster than most LBs (mind you, I am not equating him with an NFL all-pro, just pointing out the similarities in their game). There are other guys who can do a decent job blocking on the line, there are few that possess his combination of size, speed, and athleticism.

I don't think blocking was the issue. I think it was more the case that Fuente wanted to create mismatches by lining him up elsewhere. Think Jimmy Graham; he's bigger than any corner and bigger/faster than most LBs (mind you, I am not equating him with an NFL all-pro, just pointing out the similarities in their game). There are other guys who can do a decent job blocking on the line, there are few that possess his combination of size, speed, and athleticism.

Yeah 4.6 is freaking moving at 6'7 245. Hope he catches a cold this week. :p

Yeah 4.6 is freaking moving at 6'7 245. Hope he catches a cold this week. :p

Would be interesting to see if the coaches consider using someone like Darrell Taylor to defend against him. Taylor is a RS Freshman Defensive End, but he's an extremely versatile athlete, who played several positions in high school, including Wide Receiver. Believe I saw a few plays in his highlight reel where he was in coverage, as well. Probably stick with a more traditional selection, but I do like that we have a guy like Darrell Taylor on the roster, who can do a lot of different things. Might be a little bit "too green" to throw in there like that, but from what I've seen, he would have the speed to defend against a player like that, and he's 6'4".

Would be interesting to see if the coaches consider using someone like Darrell Taylor to defend against him. Taylor is a RS Freshman Defensive End, but he's an extremely versatile athlete, who played several positions in high school, including Wide Receiver. Believe I saw a few plays in his highlight reel where he was in coverage, as well. Probably stick with a more traditional selection, but I do like that we have a guy like Darrell Taylor on the roster, who can do a lot of different things. Might be a little bit "too green" to throw in there like that, but from what I've seen, he would have the speed to defend against a player like that, and he's 6'4".

Yea..we know of him..from Hopewell High School (VA). We wanted him badly! He was a great "get" for you guys!

VN Store

Back